U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

6,582 posts, read 5,340,525 times

Advertisements

You can wear short "so show" socks with sneakers, or deck shoes (slip-on sneakers), with shorts, or even more substantial sandals with no socks. Flip-flops on a guy look like he's going to the beach, or hanging out by the pool.

I could walk all day in flip-flops back in the day, but as we get older we need more arch support and flat sandals just are not going to get it if you need to do much walking.
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 2,715 times
I’m actually very surprised to hear about the negativity of flip flops, especially from a fashion forum. I’m from NY and flip flops are insanely popular around here in the summer time. I can only imagine how even more popular they must be in warmer places like Hawaii and Florida.

I went to Niagara Falls last summer for about a week for vacation and was surprised that despite the cooler climate there, 90% of people there were wearing flip flops. Because of that, I felt a little weird rocking my sneakers...

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've got no problem with flip flops, in a casual environment...but to me, sneakers are better for say...going to the zoo, or someplace where you'll do a fair amount of walking.
I go to the Bronx Zoo here in NY every summer and it’s a very big zoo and I see LOTS of people wearing flip flops there. I even see many people wearing flip flops when walking through Central Park. Even my friend went to Disney World last year and saw a lot of people there wearing flip flops. If a lot of people are doing it, then it’s probably easier than you think to walk a lot in flip flops.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

9,062 posts, read 3,976,663 times

By your own admission, you think sandals and sneakers look "goofy". If lack of goofiness matters more to you than practicality/style/protecting your feet, wear flip flops! No other opinions (and that's really all they are) necessary.

FWIW flip flops aren't comfortable for many people to walk far in. Who cares how commonly you see them? Think for yourself, but listen to your feet.

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM

17,014 posts, read 13,743,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a guy that usually wears sneakers with my shorts in the summer. But having worn sneakers with my shorts for year, I can't help but feel goofy in them because wearing socks and sneakers looks and feels weird to me, especially when it's blazing hot out in the middle of July. Whenever I see guys and girls in flip flops, I feel they look so much better because what they're wearing what most appropriately matches the weather.

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think it's better for men like me to start wearing flip flops with shorts instead of sneakers?
I think flip flops and stylish should not be used in the same sentence. A grown man wearing flip flops without being near a beach looks tacky IMO. From the look of these cheap footwear to the way they make you walk, not attractive to me at all.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I think flip flops and stylish should not be used in the same sentence. A grown man wearing flip flops without being near a beach looks tacky IMO. From the look of these cheap footwear to the way they make you walk, not attractive to me at all.
Wow, another problem? How does flip flops affect your walking? I don’t notice any difference in people’s walking when they are wearing flip flops...

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

23,202 posts, read 25,086,201 times
Quote:
Wow, another problem? How does flip flops affect your walking? I don’t notice any difference in people’s walking when they are wearing flip flops...
It's less of what you notice, and more of the actual physical issues they create:

https://www.businessinsider.com/podi...bunions-2017-5

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...530-story.html

https://www.webmd.com/beauty/feature...eat-for-feet#1

https://www.wellandgood.com/good-loo...-bad-for-feet/

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

Wow, then if they are so bad, they why do soooo many people wear them then?

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

23,202 posts, read 25,086,201 times
Quote:
Wow, then if they are so bad, they why do soooo many people wear them then?
If you've already made up your mind, why do you care? Wear what you want.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

1,368 posts, read 814,067 times
Enclosed shoes aren’t so great either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or