U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 11:07 PM

28 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Depends where you are going.

To a casual restaurant? I'd say boat shoes or sneakers..some kind of casual shoe. Or sandals like Tevas.

To the beach? Flip flops for sure.
I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 02:07 AM

3,189 posts, read 1,223,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
That's what I don't get. I don't mean to argue with people, but these claims about flip flops make absolutely no sense.

Therefore, I'm in 100% agreement with jcp13. Flip flops are bad, but then again, so are shoes. So, it's all about choosing your evil!
Most of the complaints leveled at flip flops are indeed ridiculous. I think the issue some might be having is that you used the word ‘stylish’ to describe them. Flip flops are great when it’s warm, but they aren’t fashionable. With women, it’s different as there are dressier types of flip flops, but I’ve yet to see any of those being made for men.

You should totally go with what works best for you, in a casual environment. I’m a 90% closed shoe kind of guy, but I do occasionally wear flip flops in summer. I’m partial towards the Brazilian Havaianas brand.

Quote:
It just occurred to me... what about Birkenstocks? They seem like the best of both worlds... it provides the ease of slipping them on and off and also provides great support.
Birkenstock’s are really popular these days. I’ve never worn them so I can’t comment on that, but they also get a bad rep for being ‘ugly’.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:35 AM

4,086 posts, read 1,961,628 times
I wear flip flop-flops all summer and tank-tops all summer, but to work. I'm 60 and pass for 30s to most. I'm fine also with my hairy legs. Men are to have them by our gender and hormones that are dominant.

I go for walks, local bars, stores and clubs with them. They are not just basic rubber flip-flops but better ones. No one ever told me I'm too old or have ugly feet or legs.

So nothing wrong with this attire to me.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:01 AM

5,108 posts, read 8,123,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
My wife and I wouldn't wear flip flops at gunpoint ….but its your choice...to each his own.No one looks 'stylish' in flip flops,they are practical at the pool/beach however.
I agree with this. Flip flops aren't shoes. Leave those for the beach or pool.

I like the look of boat shoes (Docksiders) or closed toe sandals for a man wearing shorts. NOT with socks, of course.

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

1,381 posts, read 493,780 times
Being a Washingtaxian I have concluded that the year has only two seasons: the 11 1/2 months when you CAN wear Chacos (or Tevas) and the couple weeks or so in January when you probably wouldn't want to.

Old Today, 12:23 PM

19 posts, read 4,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
You can wear short "so show" socks with sneakers, or deck shoes (slip-on sneakers), with shorts, or even more substantial sandals with no socks. Flip-flops on a guy look like he's going to the beach, or hanging out by the pool.

I could walk all day in flip-flops back in the day, but as we get older we need more arch support and flat sandals just are not going to get it if you need to do much walking.
Maybe I might do what most people here are saying and just continue wearing sneakers. I'm a little scared to take a long walk somewhere and end up in pain due to blisters. My feet aren't used to long walks in sandals/flip flops so I'm bound to get some sort of discomfort. And since summer is only two months of the year and I work 5 days a week wearing closed toed shoes, my feet won't get enough practice.

Since this is a fashion forum, which is the best type of socks for men to wear with shorts.

-Low Cut Socks with some socks showing.

-No Show Socks with very little socks showing

-Invisible Socks with no socks showing at all.

I usually wear the low cut ones since I find that the no show ones I buy always slip into my shoe. But I see some stores sell the invisible ones with a heel grip. This one will give a complete no socks look and the heel grip will prevent it from slipping into the shoe. I was thinking of buying a few pairs and trying them out.

Would men look ok wearing invisible socks? Or would that also look trashy?

Old Today, 01:05 PM

291 posts, read 115,688 times
Quote:
Maybe I might do what most people here are saying and just continue wearing sneakers. I'm a little scared to take a long walk somewhere and end up in pain due to blisters. My feet aren't used to long walks in sandals/flip flops so I'm bound to get some sort of discomfort. And since summer is only two months of the year and I work 5 days a week wearing closed toed shoes, my feet won't get enough practice.

Since this is a fashion forum, which is the best type of socks for men to wear with shorts.

-Low Cut Socks with some socks showing.

-No Show Socks with very little socks showing

-Invisible Socks with no socks showing at all.

I usually wear the low cut ones since I find that the no show ones I buy always slip into my shoe. But I see some stores sell the invisible ones with a heel grip. This one will give a complete no socks look and the heel grip will prevent it from slipping into the shoe. I was thinking of buying a few pairs and trying them out.

Would men look ok wearing invisible socks? Or would that also look trashy?
For running around doing errands, why not wear the flip flops, and get use to them? For anything else, either a good pair of sandals, or tennis shoes.

For me, during the summer, around the yard (no power equipment), or errands, it is flip flops. Anything more, and I have my Tevos. Anything more formal then grocery store...etc, then it is the Tevos. More then a couple of miles of walking, and then I will go for my tennis shoes or hiking shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or