Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 07:46 PM

3,402 posts, read 1,359,030 times

Advertisements

I'm a guy that usually wears sneakers with my shorts in the summer. But having worn sneakers with my shorts for year, I can't help but feel goofy in them because wearing socks and sneakers looks and feels weird to me, especially when it's blazing hot out in the middle of July. Whenever I see guys and girls in flip flops, I feel they look so much better because what they're wearing what most appropriately matches the weather.

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think it's better for men like me to start wearing flip flops with shorts instead of sneakers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 07:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,343,998 times
Depends where you are going.

To a casual restaurant? I'd say boat shoes or sneakers..some kind of casual shoe. Or sandals like Tevas.

To the beach? Flip flops for sure.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Depends where you are going.

To a casual restaurant? I'd say boat shoes or sneakers..some kind of casual shoe. Or sandals like Tevas.

To the beach? Flip flops for sure.

Definitely not a restaurant, lol. I would say when hanging out, going to the store, going to museums, or even on vacation. A lot of people say not to wear them on vacations like Disney World, but I disagree. Feels really goofy walking through Disney World when it's 90+ degrees with high humidity and you're wearing stuffy hot sneakers.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,412,998 times
My wife and I wouldn't wear flip flops at gunpoint ….but its your choice...to each his own.No one looks 'stylish' in flip flops,they are practical at the pool/beach however.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,888,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm a guy that usually wears sneakers with my shorts in the summer. But having worn sneakers with my shorts for year, I can't help but feel goofy in them because wearing socks and sneakers looks and feels weird to me, especially when it's blazing hot out in the middle of July. Whenever I see guys and girls in flip flops, I feel they look so much better because what they're wearing what most appropriately matches the weather.

Anyone else feel the same way? Do you think it's better for men like me to start wearing flip flops with shorts instead of sneakers?
Like you I have always worn sneakers with shorts. I wear flip flops only to the beach, not because of looks but because the lack of support from flip flops makes it uncomfortable to walk very far in them.

I'm a big sneaker guy and i don't find them at all uncomfortable to wear with shorts. The key is to have the right style of sneaker.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:26 PM

Well the thing is, not only do I feel that flip flops are more stylish, but I personally feel they're far more comfortable than sneakers. The thing with sneakers is not only are they too darn hot, but my feet swell while walking in the summer due to the heat. So no matter how roomy and well-fitted a pair of shoes are, they eventually get very uncomfortable to wear. With flip flops, I don't have to worry about that.

The only caveat with flip flops is the fear of getting blisters, which is why I always wore sneakers. I walk A LOT during warm weather and I always fear that the rubbing of the strap could cause an issue, though I'm sure I can easily overcome that by walking in flip flops more. My mom walks everywhere in flip flops during the summer and never has blister issues because her feet are used to them.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:33 PM

8,340 posts, read 4,583,963 times
If flip flops, then shorts (for men).

I’m sort of a barefoot guy for comfort reasons, but I’m aware of the optics. Barefoot with long pants looks cute, carefree, and comfortable for a woman, it looks odd for a man. Ditto for flip flops. Keep your feet looking at least passably neat, and yeah, do it with shorts.

I think us guys get a pass if we are in pajama pants, maybe?

Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,888,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Well the thing is, not only do I feel that flip flops are more stylish, but I personally feel they're far more comfortable than sneakers. The thing with sneakers is not only are they too darn hot, but my feet swell while walking in the summer due to the heat. So no matter how roomy and well-fitted a pair of shoes are, they eventually get very uncomfortable to wear. With flip flops, I don't have to worry about that.

The only caveat with flip flops is the fear of getting blisters, which is why I always wore sneakers. I walk A LOT during warm weather and I always fear that the rubbing of the strap could cause an issue, though I'm sure I can easily overcome that by walking in flip flops more. My mom walks everywhere in flip flops during the summer and never has blister issues because her feet are used to them.
What about a high quality pair of sandals? They're open but offer more.support and blisters probably wouldn't be a problem with the right pair.

I can't imagine doing a lot of walking in flip flops, and I don't have the problem with sneakers that you describe. But we're all different and you need to do what works for you.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
What about a high quality pair of sandals? They're open but offer more.support and blisters probably wouldn't be a problem with the right pair.

Well I'm back to being stylish again. Sandals like THESE look really goofy and more like something my dad would wear. Flip flops are a better looking, more stylish type open toed footwear. And also the added ease of slipping them on and off make flip flops more fun to wear.

Quote:
I can't imagine doing a lot of walking in flip flops, and I don't have the problem with sneakers that you describe. But we're all different and you need to do what works for you.

I bought a pair of THESE Sanuk flip flops last summer when I went to the beach with some friends and thought my feet were in heaven wearing them. It's got a soft yoga mat footbed and very soft sandal straps. It would be great if I can spend my entire summer wearing nothing but these.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:48 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,767,652 times
Quote:
Like you I have always worn sneakers with shorts. I wear flip flops only to the beach, not because of looks but because the lack of support from flip flops makes it uncomfortable to walk very far in them.

I'm a big sneaker guy and i don't find them at all uncomfortable to wear with shorts. The key is to have the right style of sneaker.
Agree. I will go further and say, not only are flip flops uncomfortable, I believe they will do long term damage to the feet.

By the way...I'm curious about your second paragraph above. Are you saying that you like "big sneakers", or do you mean that you are a large person who likes sneakers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty