Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 12:56 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times

Advertisements

Unless you have really nice groomed feet then wear them otherwise keep your feet in closed shoes. I see so many men who have what I call dinosaur feet meaning, nails aren't clipped, feet have callouses and look nasty, they have corns or bunion showing. Now is it fashionable, no it is not flip flops are for the beach or pool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 08:08 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Unless you have really nice groomed feet then wear them otherwise keep your feet in closed shoes. I see so many men who have what I call dinosaur feet meaning, nails aren't clipped, feet have callouses and look nasty, they have corns or bunion showing. Now is it fashionable, no it is not flip flops are for the beach or pool
As I guy I agree 1000%

Moisturize your feet. Cut your toenails, and buy a pumice stone !

Old 04-23-2020, 05:57 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
As I guy I agree 1000%

Moisturize your feet. Cut your toenails, and buy a pumice stone !
Thank you!

Old 04-24-2020, 04:31 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
I would limit flip flops to the beach or swimming pool personnaly. I don't really walk well with those. I have hiking sandals though which are much better during heatwaves. I often wear sneaker in the summer as well, of the lightweight type.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Is it more stylish for men to wear flip flop with shorts in the summer?

IMO it's more stylish for a man to wear sneakers with shorts.....that was the trend at the start of the yr. BUT....it's about the type of sneaker.......not laced up. That slouchy....slip on look that works super well with shorts for a guy IMO. Not the little dressier slip on casual they would wear with straight jeans....like the leather Ecco.....but like the OluKai Nohea Mesh or a Skecher. I love that look.....& my fiance says they are more comfortable than flip flops too........

Old 06-14-2020, 09:50 PM

3,480 posts, read 1,403,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The bottom line is APPROPRIATE. Flip flops are fine in hot weather with healthy feet, if they are comfortable. Most of the time, they are not appropriate because of the activity involved. If you are going from your car to an outdoor restaurant or the beach, yes. If you are walking around a city with uneven pavement, no.

It's the latter. I live in NYC and don't own a car. I walk pretty much everywhere I go, with the exception of going to work where I take the subway.. and even that, I have to walk to the subway station. Heck, I even just go out during nice weather just to walk for a few hours and get exercise. Given the current pandemic, that's pretty much all I've been doing now and I can't really be shopping much since most stores are currently limited to pickup only and the ones that are open for shopping limit the amount of people that can go inside.

Having said that, I've decided to just continue wearing sneakers this summer. My feet are just not used to flip flops and I can't risk walking for about two miles, then realizing my feet are blistering and then having to walk back home for another two miles in pain.

I honestly don't know how so many NYers can wear flip flops given the amount of walking that's required over here. But I guess there is just something wrong with my feet that they blister easily in flip flops.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:49 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
I wear shorts and flip flops frequently in summer when I’m physically not at work and running errands. Don’t care what others think or say.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:18 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I wear shorts and flip flops frequently in summer when I’m physically not at work and running errands. Don’t care what others think or say.

My fiance can't say this.....he has to care what I think or say cause I'm the fashion police.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:57 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Me too. You do need to condition your feet to them. Wear them in the house for days and learn to walk in them as sometimes you can have them slip from your feet if not use to them. Feet that are use to being in shoes or covered slippers at home can feel cold uncovered and if fair complexion turn reddish. I have no problem with calluses or bunions etc and far from young, but when young I did not wear them. Now once it upper 70s and 80s I do going for walks to my local bar. Some do most do not. All up to the individual and what you condition yourself to feel comfortable wearing them and walking in them.

Many wear higher socks with sneakers that may be a bit more in fashion at this time, but I use low-rise or no-show socks with sneakers and it is a bit cooler and the vented not solidly covered sneakers of leather or fake leather. Then the netted vented sneakers are less prone to sweating as much. I only wear my solid sneakers in wet weather.

These are a vented casual shoe though fully cover your feet. Given only for picture style suggestion not suggesting the sight to buy from.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Skechers-...Shoe/505082001

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Ske...aker/584771153

a Canvas variety that is cool and stylish as more a boat shoe/sneaker combo

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Ske...Shoe/544637701

There are superior then flat flip-flop versions that may work better for many.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Ske...ndal/613400717

Far too many offerings then a fully enclosed non venting sneaker or going full flat flip-flop.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:53 AM

43 posts, read 25,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
For running around doing errands, why not wear the flip flops, and get use to them? For anything else, either a good pair of sandals, or tennis shoes.

For me, during the summer, around the yard (no power equipment), or errands, it is flip flops. Anything more, and I have my Tevos. Anything more formal then grocery store...etc, then it is the Tevos. More then a couple of miles of walking, and then I will go for my tennis shoes or hiking shoes.
Good post

I have gotten into the habit of wearing flip flops in recent years around the yard and running errands. I have thought about wearing them to social occasions like BBQs, family gatherings, or eating out....ut haven't pulled the trigger on that as it feels kinda weird to show so much foot (even though I've been told they look good for a guy). So I normally end up wearing my black Nikes....which are not too fashionable from what I hear.

Debating whether to invest in some type of sandals like the Tevas you mention or canvas shoes for those types of occasions. What do you all think are a better look on a guy - sandals or canvas shoes? Any suggestions would be welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty