U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 08:52 PM

6,069 posts, read 8,878,077 times

Advertisements

There's so much conflicting information about the appeal of beards to women.

What I see is that at least half of men today seem to have some type of facial hair. Mostly it's stubble and closely cropped beards. The goatees that were the rage about 8-10 years ago have given way to full beards.

If having a beard made it hard to attract women, far fewer men would wear beards. I know a couple of guys who used to be mean shaven and now wear beards at the request of their wives or girlfriends. There's a wide variation in taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 08:57 PM

8,874 posts, read 6,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There's so much conflicting information about the appeal of beards to women.

What I see is that at least half of men today seem to have some type of facial hair. Mostly it's stubble and closely cropped beards. The goatees that were the rage about 8-10 years ago have given way to full beards.

If having a beard made it hard to attract women, far fewer men would wear beards. I know a couple of guys who used to be mean shaven and now wear beards at the request of their wives or girlfriends. There's a wide variation in taste.
Probably because different women have different preferences when it comes to beards.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:09 PM

7,568 posts, read 2,311,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A study carried out by the University of Queensland found that almost all women preferred men with full beards, but those who didn't had a fear of parasites.
By "parasites," I assume you mean men who expect women to support them?

Anyway, not sure that preference would apply to America.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:12 PM

28,605 posts, read 16,642,049 times
I'm back and forth on it. I hate shaving nicks and bumps (even DE gets me them) yet I hate how itchy it gets when I'm growing it in. I did no-shave November and I don't really have the face for it.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Probably because different women have different preferences when it comes to beards.
Absolutely. People always talk in absolutes but taste widely varies.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:43 PM

8,874 posts, read 6,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, Jawline man... There's a new AA guy in town (they're a very rare specie in NM), and he has a jawline to die for! Srsly! And he trims his facial hair to emphasize it. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Unfortunately, he noticed me staring, as he served a customer from behind the WF fish counter. I've never noticed jawlines before; didn't know they were kind of a thing.

P.S. That was a pretty funny post you made about jawlines the other day...
LOL!!! Thank you...

...Jawline.

*Vanishes into thin air.

Old 01-31-2020, 10:34 PM

In reality, beards are just hair. Hair on top of the head is pretty uncontroversial, and I don't hear anybody say that it's disgusting, filthy, etc. I don't really see that hair on the face is that different. Just like hair on the head, it needs to be kept clean, but if it is, there's no reason to believe that a beard is inherently dirty.

Clearly there is some deeper psychological reaction going on for people to have such strong feelings about a little hair.

I think it goes both ways. A lot of men use their ability to grow thick facial hair as a way to display their masculinity. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. For most men, beards are a symbol of their manhood, and are not just more hair in addition to what they have on top of their heads. But for some others, beards seem to symbolize something negative.

Old Yesterday, 12:01 AM

1,382 posts, read 244,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think it goes both ways. A lot of men use their ability to grow thick facial hair as a way to display their masculinity. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. For most men, beards are a symbol of their manhood, and are not just more hair in addition to what they have on top of their heads. But for some others, beards seem to symbolize something negative.

Nope, for me it's a seasonal thing. Since I live in the northeast I let my beard grow. It keeps me warmer during the fall/winter. I haven't had a real cold or flu in the past 10+ yrs because of this. Prior to this I shaved fairly regular and I would get a seasonal cold. Other that that simple change I live my life the same way. So it works for me.

Old Yesterday, 02:08 AM

2,811 posts, read 1,199,071 times
Quote:
A study carried out by the University of Queensland found that almost all women preferred men with full beards, but those who didn't had a fear of parasites.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/love-sex...heyre-21284152

Ever heard of whisker burn? My soft face has been rubbed by beards and given me bright red, burning abrasions.
Much prefer lips on a clean shaven man.

Old Yesterday, 04:32 AM

15,401 posts, read 7,664,081 times
Quote:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/love-sex...heyre-21284152
I hate them and I am not afraid of parasites. I just hate facial hair. For a while, the trend of itty bitty facial hair, like two days without a shave was super sexy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or