U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

15,861 posts, read 9,244,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
There's so much conflicting information about the appeal of beards to women.

What I see is that at least half of men today seem to have some type of facial hair. Mostly it's stubble and closely cropped beards. The goatees that were the rage about 8-10 years ago have given way to full beards.

If having a beard made it hard to attract women, far fewer men would wear beards. I know a couple of guys who used to be mean shaven and now wear beards at the request of their wives or girlfriends. There's a wide variation in taste.
There's a flaw in your reasoning. Men with beards wouldn't know if they were unattractive to women because only women who liked them would approach them. Women who didn't like them wouldn't say anything at all due to social niceties. They would just ignore them. And women already in a relationship with clean shaven men who requested the beard already love the guy and are less likely to reject him anyway. I've never dated a man with a beard because I cannot stand them. A couple of guys with them asked me out and I told them nicely I wouldn't date them unless they shaved it off. I'm just not attracted, but to each his/her own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM

11,169 posts, read 13,937,678 times
I don't mind beards.

I'm not into the Grizzly Adams type, or these hipster beards you see everywhere, but I do appreciate a well maintained beard on the right guy. I'm definitely not into the totally clean shaven/juvenile look. I like a man that can at least grow a mustache/beard and not look "awkward". Especially when the grey hair start showing, that is so hot...

Facial hair just works on some men, and not on others.. I don't know why this is, but I'm sure the science behind it is fascinating..!

Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM

6,071 posts, read 8,878,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There's a flaw in your reasoning. Men with beards wouldn't know if they were unattractive to women because only women who liked them would approach them. Women who didn't like them wouldn't say anything at all due to social niceties. They would just ignore them. And women already in a relationship with clean shaven men who requested the beard already love the guy and are less likely to reject him anyway. I've never dated a man with a beard because I cannot stand them. A couple of guys with them asked me out and I told them nicely I wouldn't date them unless they shaved it off. I'm just not attracted, but to each his/her own.
Does it really matter though? No man needs every woman to like him. As long as he can find one (or however many he needs...).

Flipping it, there could also be women who wouldn't date or be attracted to a man without facial hair. To each his own, as you said. We all have a right to our taste in partners as well as to do what we wish with our own bodies.

Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

15,861 posts, read 9,244,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I don't mind beards.

I'm not into the Grizzly Adams type, or these hipster beards you see everywhere, but I do appreciate a well maintained beard on the right guy. I'm definitely not into the totally clean shaven/juvenile look. I like a man that can at least grow a mustache/beard and not look "awkward". Especially when the grey hair start showing, that is so hot...

Facial hair just works on some men, and not on others.. I don't know why this is, but I'm sure the science behind it is fascinating..!
I agree. I think it just depends on hair growth patterns. I think a neatly trimmed beard can look good on a man, but the idea of personally kissing it is just ick to me, if that makes any sense. Several men have told me they wear a beard not because they really like it, but because shaving their face causes terrible skin rashes, ingrown hairs, and allergies. This seems to be more common in black men, but black people are also more prone to keloids and other scarring skin conditions than white people or Asians.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

19,766 posts, read 21,420,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Several men have told me they wear a beard not because they really like it, but because shaving their face causes terrible skin rashes, ingrown hairs, and allergies. This seems to be more common in black men, but black people are also more prone to keloids and other scarring skin conditions than white people or Asians.
That is true. I was in the infantry in Vietnam, and my unit spent most of our time in the field. Our division regulations required every man to shave every morning wherever we were (meaning cold water in our helmets, or dry-shaving). It was really tough on the black guys. Their skin would be super irritated and the heat and humidity made it worse, of ccourse. Many brothers I knew resorted to using Nair or other depilatories on their faces.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM
miu

17,379 posts, read 35,391,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A study carried out by the University of Queensland found that almost all women preferred men with full beards, but those who didn't had a fear of parasites.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/love-sex...heyre-21284152
What? Well they certainly didn't ask me!! I hate beards on my romantic partners. I don't like the way that beards feel on my skin. Beards feel scratchy and btw I don't have any fear of parasites lurking in them.

What a rubbish survey.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

8,099 posts, read 7,395,366 times
I find beards disgusting because some guys get food in their beards. Yuk!

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

15,765 posts, read 13,092,395 times
What bout painted on beards?

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 272,066 times
Wow the beard hate is strong in this thread.

Worth remembering this one when the guys start discussing likes/dislikes and the furor from the gals blows in.

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

6,071 posts, read 8,878,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Wow the beard hate is strong in this thread.

Worth remembering this one when the guys start discussing likes/dislikes and the furor from the gals blows in.
Of course. Feminism has long sought to bully us into accepting double standards that deny us the right to think and say as we wish, even while loudly supporting it for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or