Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2020, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
How about needing a watch at all when so many methods of telling time are available? And how about getting by with the belief that all times are approximate, negating the need for any device to pinpoint that artificial designation at all?

If people want to wear a watch because they like adornments, they like the look, it belonged to their dear Uncle Louie, they're uncomfortable without one or their hand might fall off without one or whatever they decide, that's fine too.
Sigh. I will repeat this one more time but you are free to misunderstand or misrepresent it all you like - it's just no big deal to me.

What I SAID was that if we're honest with ourselves, we don't "need" a LOT of things, including more than a coupla pairs of underwear (and we could probably make do with one pair if the other pair would dry quickly - LOL). So let's not confuse NEEDING something with our personal preferences.

Which would include someone's personal preference for wearing a watch - any sort of watch.

Of course it's fine to wear a watch - and it's also fine to have a drawer full of underwear. Not so sure if a person can arrive "late" for an interview though and just tell the interviewer that all times are approximate or artificial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
How about needing a watch at all when so many methods of telling time are available? And how about getting by with the belief that all times are approximate, negating the need for any device to pinpoint that artificial designation at all?

If people want to wear a watch because they like adornments, they like the look, it belonged to their dear Uncle Louie, they're uncomfortable without one or their hand might fall off without one or whatever they decide, that's fine too.

Tell your next business appointment that all times are approximate and post about it here please.
In my industry clients occasionally ask for handwritten communication with carbon copies - nix cell phone:>)

Old 02-14-2020, 02:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. I will repeat this one more time but you are free to misunderstand or misrepresent it all you like - it's just no big deal to me.

What I SAID was that if we're honest with ourselves, we don't "need" a LOT of things, including more than a coupla pairs of underwear (and we could probably make do with one pair if the other pair would dry quickly - LOL). So let's not confuse NEEDING something with our personal preferences.

Which would include someone's personal preference for wearing a watch - any sort of watch.

Of course it's fine to wear a watch - and it's also fine to have a drawer full of underwear. Not so sure if a person can arrive "late" for an interview though and just tell the interviewer that all times are approximate or artificial.
Sigh all you'd like. I never introduced the concept of "need" into this conversation, you did by jumping into a dialogue between myself and another poster. You also introduced the excessively stretched tangential underwear theme and continue to employ it.

In the natural scheme of things times are indeed approximate, some people can adapt to that and be fairly accurate, some cannot and as long as we attempt to cram infinite points on the globe into 24 time zones most all will be artificial. Simply looking at the difference in sunrise and sunset times for locations separated by less than fifty to a hundred miles will prove that.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:34 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Tell your next business appointment that all times are approximate and post about it here please.
In my industry clients occasionally ask for handwritten communication with carbon copies - nix cell phone:>)
Carbon copies? Are you still using up a decades old supply or is there a company still making carbon paper? Are you in the buggy whip industry?

Old 02-15-2020, 04:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Sigh all you'd like. I never introduced the concept of "need" into this conversation, you did by jumping into a dialogue between myself and another poster. You also introduced the excessively stretched tangential underwear theme and continue to employ it.

In the natural scheme of things times are indeed approximate, some people can adapt to that and be fairly accurate, some cannot and as long as we attempt to cram infinite points on the globe into 24 time zones most all will be artificial. Simply looking at the difference in sunrise and sunset times for locations separated by less than fifty to a hundred miles will prove that.
Oh good grief.

If you want to carry on a private conversation without anyone "jumping into a dialogue" between you and another poster, take it to PMs. Otherwise, it's an open conversation and forum.

And of course, I realize that time is approximate scientifically - and possibly even artificial - but people don't typically wear a watch to argue about such things.

Like someone else pointed out ("jumping into our dialogue" I guess - but I don't mind it because it's an open forum), try using an approximation of time in business and then post about how that works out. You know, use the sun. Be sure you tell your business partners that you will be using the sun rather than infinite points on the globe since time is an artificial approximation anyway.

Old 02-15-2020, 06:05 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times
Quote:

Currently there are 38 time zones in use, the balance set at the whim of certain governments. Time is also not approximate not matter how much you’d like it to be.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:58 AM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahar View Post
This is what’s unfortunate about the watch industry. There are great looking watches that are affordable. Yet most people think that a decent watch is unreasonably expensive.

Here’s my Orient Bambino.

A friend of mine commented that he liked it. I told him that he’d never guess how much it costs. He guessed $500.
The MSRP was $350 but has since been marked down to $150. It’s available on Amazon and other grey market retailers for under $120. That's an insane steal for an automatic watch from a traditional well-respected Japanese watch brand.
Congrats on the Orient. One of the best bang for the buck watch brands out there. I love my Mako.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
Trust me, almost nobody ever notices. The "almost" refers to other watch enthusiasts. I wear either a Rolex or Panerai every day and I can literally count on two hands the number of comments that people have made over the years, and all of them knew exactly which model I was wearing and were wearing something equally nice. The good news is that all of them are worth at least twice what I paid, so there's that. As for passing them on to your kid, my son will have my watches on Ebay before I assume room temperature.
^^This.

I have a Boschett Cave Dweller that I wear on occasion. It has been recognized by one other person, and with a wink and a nod, and a ten minute discussion about unique time pieces, I had a new friend.

A wristwatch is the only jewelry that I wear (other than my wedding band), and I wear one simply for my own enjoyment. About the only comments I get are from others that are interested in horology, and those are few and far between.

The creation of accurate, portable time pieces was one of the great inventions of mankind. That I can subtly pay homage to that by wearing a wristwatch brings me pleasure. That a wristwatch is better at its intended purpose in almost every way when compared to a cell phone is just icing on the cake.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The dealer cannot impose conditions on a guarantee provided by the manufacturer. Maybe he was peddling some aftermarket warranty that would do nothing to add to the original guarantee. Car dealers do it, why not watch hawkers.
Many high end watches are sold by grey market dealers and don't carry a factory warranty. However, most of the reputable grey market dealers have their own warranties that are very good. They generally don't impose such requirements as that would tend to drive customers away.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 02-16-2020 at 08:52 AM..

Old 02-16-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:

You don't really expect to be taken seriously when you say stuff like that, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty