Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This sounds like something the dealer required of customers in order to honor the manufacturer warranty (technically, in order to INTERFACE with the manufacturer, as a form of ransom on a perfectly good guarantee).
You do not need to take your Rolex into the dealer where you purchased it to have it sent in for service. You can send it directly to Rolex Service Center or even walk in to the RSC if you have one close to you. So if a dealer was telling this to their customers, I would look for a new dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 11:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Except that the only purpose jewelry serves is as ornamentation, underwear contributes to warmth and sanitation. Bad analogy.
No it's not. We were discussing things we think we "need." Very rarely would anyone NEED to wear more than one pair of underwear! But I bet most of us have several pairs of underwear, maybe even numerous pairs of underwear, which we clearly do not "need" any more than we "need" watches. But some people like them (the numerous pairs of underwear as well as the watches). And that's OK.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
oh god no. first of all I would have a worst impression of a man that has to pull out his cell phone every second to check something.

I have a girlfriend who loves watches. she doesn't buy them to be "noticed" she buys them because she likes the beauty of them.
That's how I feel about them - I just like watches. So does my husband, though he has more expensive taste in watches than I do. But my point is that both of us wear watches often, and we appreciate them. We don't wear them for other people, we wear them for ourselves.

And we both also carry cell phones - and know how to use them and all that good stuff. We prefer checking the time on a watch, however.

One more comment about Rolex watches:

My dad left his to my brother, who LOVES it. So good for him. He wears it nearly every day, just like our dad did. Meanwhile, my husband inherited a Rolex but he doesn't want to wear it - he doesn't like that much money hanging on his wrist. So it's been sitting in a jewelry box for several years now.

Old 02-11-2020, 11:57 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
This sounds like something the dealer required of customers in order to honor the manufacturer warranty (technically, in order to INTERFACE with the manufacturer, as a form of ransom on a perfectly good guarantee).

It made me think, I've never seen a "Rolex store" in the sense that it's a corporate store. I've seen jewelers be an "authorized retailer" for Rolex, such as Fink's or Mayor's. Perhaps customers are being held ransom by these dealers as a reward for spending so much money at their establishment. Perhaps retailers think they just won't care / won't mind.
The dealer cannot impose conditions on a guarantee provided by the manufacturer. Maybe he was peddling some aftermarket warranty that would do nothing to add to the original guarantee. Car dealers do it, why not watch hawkers.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Let me tell you a sad tale. I bought mine in 2007 and it was manufactured around 1983/1984. I had an outdoor pool and wore it when swimming- almost daily in warm weather. I also wore it in many hotel pools when traveling. Eventually it stopped working. Yes, it was "water-resistant" but the workings are protected by rubber gaskets that can weaken and leak when hit with a steady diet of chlorinated water. The guts had to be replaced. It was not cheap. If I'd brought it in for service every few years they could have replaced the gaskets and saved me a lot of money.

I'm still cautious about overhauls. The crystal scratches easily and is expensive- they always want to replace the crystal and that's expensive, and 2 weeks after you get it back it's scratched again.
If you would have taken it to an officially authorized shop you would have paid for the work but ended up with a two year guarantee on an old watch.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
No it's not. We were discussing things we think we "need." Very rarely would anyone NEED to wear more than one pair of underwear! But I bet most of us have several pairs of underwear, maybe even numerous pairs of underwear, which we clearly do not "need" any more than we "need" watches. But some people like them (the numerous pairs of underwear as well as the watches). And that's OK.
Or you could go commando; it's still a terrible analogy.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:28 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Can't read 13 pages of replies.

#1 ) Your son won't want it. Technology and all.

#2) Depends on the watch. Rolex, IMO, is ostentatious and screams look at me. Other brands, not as much. My husband bought a Patek Phillipe on our honeymoon 18 years ago. It is about as understated as one can get. I think they only complication it has is the date. I think the only people who recognize it are jewelers. If we walk into a store, they fall all over themselves to talk to him if he is wearing it and they sell Pateks. Maybe some of his coworkers know what it is, but probably only a handful. It has doubled in value since he bought it because they are more rare and handmade.

A Rolex is more common so it is unlikely to increase in value.
FWIW, I own 8 Rolexes and over the past 10 years they have all at least doubled in value. I'll bet your husband's Patek has done better than that over 18 years, they're beautiful watches.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:32 PM

37,604 posts, read 45,972,346 times
I’d never notice.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The dealer cannot impose conditions on a guarantee provided by the manufacturer. Maybe he was peddling some aftermarket warranty that would do nothing to add to the original guarantee. Car dealers do it, why not watch hawkers.
Totally possible.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:58 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I would personally think that the guy either has so much money he doesn't care how much things cost, OR more likely, that he wants to impress people and is dumb enough to waste thousands on something unnecessarily to boost his ego. In other words...an insecure poser.

My cousin bought her hubby, a wealthy guy who has a booming business paving over what raw land is left in the western end of the Inland Empire, a beautiful Rolex. A year later he found out that to keep the warrantee he had to have it serviced annually at over $500 a year. He immediately sold it. Smart guy.
Servicing a watch, especially my vintage Cartiers, is incredibly easy and inexpensive.

Changing a battery in the quartz one is straightforward; and the mechanical ones have never failed, nor required service since I have owned them. If they ever do, I would simply replace the entire movement (myself), since that is the easiest, least costly option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty