U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

11,836 posts, read 21,096,416 times

Advertisements

I never notice but if someone is really making a point of showing off - I find that ostentiatous. (sp.?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM

8,195 posts, read 4,473,513 times
I never notice...

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

5,126 posts, read 1,360,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
Not really. I can identify a few popular models, but I don't reach out to ask about the watch.

Buy something you want to pass down, and keep it boxed away, unworn.

Then buy the replica and wear it every day.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

12,430 posts, read 4,764,672 times
I never notice.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

57,308 posts, read 76,392,873 times
This man has not been mugged yet

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

2,853 posts, read 4,139,575 times
I have wondered if these expensive watches are somewhat passé with the advent of Apple Watches which celebrities and others on TV are seen wearing? BTW, I have a Tiffany dress gold watch with leather band that I wear when dressed up but I don't think it is that gaudy.

Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM

8,130 posts, read 4,319,042 times
I can't imagine many sons these days wearing a watch their father wore. Things have changed with all the new technology.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 PM

24,799 posts, read 15,976,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
If you love the watch, and can afford it, just buy it already. Wear it happily.

Old Yesterday, 06:32 PM

940 posts, read 541,698 times
Honestly, my first thought would be its fake but it depends on the circles you run in. Buy it if you want it and have the lifestyle you could wear it and enjoy it. Just dont wear it on the subway!!!

Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM

3,119 posts, read 1,212,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Honestly, my first thought would be its fake but it depends on the circles you run in. Buy it if you want it and have the lifestyle you could wear it and enjoy it. Just dont wear it on the subway!!!
I'm female and my daily-wear watch is a stainless steel and 18K gold Rolex that I bought used 12 years ago. Frankly, I don't think anyone notices. Maybe when I was working for a company based in Zurich my Swiss colleagues took notice but no one said anything. I agree that most people probably think it's fake, especially since I'm dressed casually except for the rare wedding or funeral. I've even worn it on a few subways- definitely London, Chicago, Delhi and others I can't remember right now.

Buy it if it gives you pleasure wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or