U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM

12,451 posts, read 21,049,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopyJ View Post
Do you tend to notice when a man is wearing an expensive "luxury" watch that costs thousands rather than hundreds? If so, does it lead you to formulate an impression of that person?

I'm especially interested in opinions on more subdued designs and normal-sized watches rather than large gaudy watches that are designed to attract attention.

(I have my eye on a watch that I find beautiful and would be proud to own, wear, and pass to my son some day, but do not want to draw attention to.)
No. No one notices.

That being said if it’s truly something that you would enjoy and enjoy wearing, go for it.

But about a year and a half ago my husband brought home two Rolex Datejusts with 18 karat gold and stainless bands. The mans watch was very beat up, but the woman’s watch was gorgeous. I took it to the Rolex place I know of, they told me they were from the mid 90s, and the men’s watch can be refurbished no problem. It works it just needs a new crystal and some polishing. I was happy to wear that women’s watch, it was gorgeous and no one looks at watches out here, no one cares.

The reason I can say that with certainty is, where he picked the watches up at was the recycle area at one of our wealthier condos that we cleaned. There were a few people who were moving out and their custom was to put stuff that was still good in the recycle area but not in the recycle bins, for someone else to take should they want it. He picked them up on a Sunday, And they had been there since Friday. Nobody wanted these watches, they sat all weekend with people going in and out of the recycle room dropping their stuff off and looking at the free to a good home section, because everybody does.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

169 posts, read 31,797 times
Why do you even need watches anymore, you have cellphones. Maybe for jewelry?
Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

16,080 posts, read 7,627,817 times
I don’t notice.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

24,805 posts, read 15,976,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
That really is the point. I have owned a nice enough Swiss watch for 13 years. Before that, I wore a Skagen. I have worn watches of various sorts for all of my adult life. I don’t feel dressed without one, and neither does DH who wears a nice enough Swiss watch I gave him.

But my kids don’t wear watches. They don’t need them. They use their phones to tell them the time, and let’s face it, those never have to be set back or rolled forward.

But if someone loves watches and wants to wear a nice one, I say go for it. Just do it.

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

13,868 posts, read 14,158,849 times
honestly i would not know just by looking at a watch whether it is expensive or not. i would not know the difference between a watch that costs hundreds, or a watch that costs thousands. If there is a watch that costs $12,500 the place my mind goes to is, wow, that is over one year of rent payments.

if it is pleasing to someone and they enjoy it, then that is what they choose to spend their money on. An extravagance for me is $8 for a bowl of blueberries.

regarding the opening post, the person clearly can tell the difference between an expensive watch and a realllllllly expensive watch. and it is significant enough to them that they notice it and are bothered by it in some way. so my response is that person (the person asking in the opening post, not other people wearing watches) is money conscious, and is also conscious of "how it looks" and "what will people think"

aesthetically watches are pleasing. (except not digital watches, those are not)
not necessarily for wearing, but for looking at. and for putting in art pieces. made by me. one of my favorite pieces has heavy gold watches and shiny coins. i also like keys and gears in art pieces, and coins. so if i had $12,500 and wasn't spending it on rent, but on watch(es) instead, i would parlay it into hundreds of watches, coins, keys, and other art supplies.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 10:07 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM

9,373 posts, read 8,741,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovorlando View Post
I don’t carry my phone in my hand or in my back pocket. I’ve recently started wearing a watch again because it’s so much quicker than fumbling in my purse for it.

Old Today, 03:32 AM

11,224 posts, read 13,951,932 times
I notice nice watches, but I usually can't tell whether it was expensive or not by the style. So, price really isn't a factor.

I think men who wear watches generally appear more polished. It can really only add + to an ensemble.

The phone thing is kinda tacky in some situations...(most)

Old Today, 04:24 AM

7,211 posts, read 3,426,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
I don’t carry my phone in my hand or in my back pocket. I’ve recently started wearing a watch again because it’s so much quicker than fumbling in my purse for it.
Bingo!

Sadly this tech generation can hardly read a dial clock. They assume its all digital time. Heaven forbid if they are in an area where their "phone" or tech apparatus dies.....How ever will they tell time? Doubt Alexa will tell them! But what the hey...for those who take a watch so they can monitor a pulse rate or when out scuba diving...I doubt their cell phone will tell time then!

My Uncle was a watch maker for Bulova ( nee' Hamilton Watch) . I dearly enjoyed his patience when he designed and implemented some time pieces....Fascinating. Just fascinating.

Old Today, 04:28 AM

21 posts, read 3,207 times
I never notice.

Old Today, 05:38 AM

6,719 posts, read 3,077,605 times
Well, the Rolex Daytona watch pictured is NOT subtle or tasteful.

Something like an Omega Seamaster from the 50s, now that's subtle and tasteful. Multiple dials that make you look like you think you're a pilot or race car driver - not subtle or tasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or