U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 08:12 PM

10,360 posts, read 9,838,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I posted about this a few years ago. But it took some time to work up my courage to let go of the coloring. Been coloring for almost 30 years.

I started the change-over a few months ago by coloring my hair with a light shade, instead of the usual medium. Now it's been two months and the color is fading and my roots are making a definite appearance

So far so good. My hair looks frosted. But it also looks, from the roots, that it's all grey --- maybe even white.

But I'm going for it. I'm going to embrace my inner elder.

If the emerging "skunk stripe" is too obvious and ugly, I'm thinking of a buzz cut. hee hee.

Any tips on how to take care of my emerging silver so it's shiny and healthy?
Your silver will be just as healthy as the rest of your hair. Or healthier.

By the way, the best way to wear gray or white hair, seems to me, is to get a tailored, precise cut. In other words, don't let it get scraggly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 04:40 AM

31,343 posts, read 34,565,057 times
I'm trying! I didn't color my hair after my last haircut, which is usually my routine. I've been using lighter and lighter colors over the years and what I've been using is still showing on my ends but it blends almost seamlessly with my roots now so I'm holding off. I've also has some compliments on my gray hair and even though I rarely take compliments on my looks seriously it's been enough to make me consider leaving it be for awhile.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:34 AM

12,035 posts, read 5,643,686 times
I was trying to let the gray grow out again and it was about 1 1/2 inches of gray/white on my short hair. However I just turned 65 and it made me feel old especially since I can usually pass for much younger. So I colored it again last weekend. I'm not ready to look & feel old. I see a lot of people who look great with gray, silver or white hair. I just don't think I'm one of them. Maybe when I turn 70....

As for what to use I heard there are special shampoos that look blue that helps the gray/white from looking brassy.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:00 AM

15,654 posts, read 32,238,997 times
Decades of coloring my hair dark gave me cancer on my scalp, so I quit about 4 years ago and let my hair grow out. It is a mix of white, blond, brown and lots of "tinsel silver." I am 70 now, and hair has become very thin and fine, flyaway looking but the products that help ME are using an organic shampoo bar, and spraying Tresemme heat protectant - that stuff is MAGIC and really brings out color and shine. I also use Aveda thickening and voluminizing products which are pricey but wonderful and last a long time.

I agree that a good cut is imperative for gray or silver hair, otherwise it looks straggly and witchy.

Old 02-09-2020, 12:39 PM

4,046 posts, read 9,635,294 times
Quote:
And the result was pretty bad--my naturally curly hair looked like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket...
I love naturally curly gray hair! It's what I'm doing now. Embracing my curls has been life-changing. Seriously. I wash and go now and I love it.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM

12,489 posts, read 21,081,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I love naturally curly gray hair! It's what I'm doing now. Embracing my curls has been life-changing. Seriously. I wash and go now and I love it.
Oh, I miss my curls. I’m trying to relearn how to style straight hair. That’s now dry.

I’ve started using moisturizing shampoo, volumizing conditioner. And go light on products. My hairdresser is flummoxed. I highlight my hair using a cap and highlight lightly and about once every six months. But after my husband’s passing, my hair has gone to pot. She said all my hair has gone dry.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:13 PM

5,474 posts, read 10,167,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I was trying to let the gray grow out again and it was about 1 1/2 inches of gray/white on my short hair. However I just turned 65 and it made me feel old especially since I can usually pass for much younger. So I colored it again last weekend. I'm not ready to look & feel old. I see a lot of people who look great with gray, silver or white hair. I just don't think I'm one of them. Maybe when I turn 70....

As for what to use I heard there are special shampoos that look blue that helps the gray/white from looking brassy.
I know exactly what you mean. But I've decided..I AM old(er). Trying real hard to be a bold elder--with silver power. /So many of my female(and male) friends (and my DH) are gorgeous gray and silver heads...

I finally thought "Who am I fooling?" It's time for me to embrace the color my years have given me.

But "society" tells we older women we need to fight the good fight and color and trim and tuck and to not own up to our years.

It's difficult, isn't it?

The advertising business sells us insecurity.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:24 PM

4,884 posts, read 6,842,155 times
I am extremely fair and would look sickly/washed out with the white hair I have growing in. My skin looks best with golden/red shades in my hair, so I don't know when I'll ever stop coloring.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:51 PM

8,717 posts, read 3,186,971 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. But I've decided..I AM old(er). Trying real hard to be a bold elder--with silver power. /So many of my female(and male) friends (and my DH) are gorgeous gray and silver heads...

I finally thought "Who am I fooling?" It's time for me to embrace the color my years have given me.

But "society" tells we older women we need to fight the good fight and color and trim and tuck and to not own up to our years.

It's difficult, isn't it?

The advertising business sells us insecurity.

I'll tell ya...if I didn't like the color of my hair (white and silver) I'd color it in a hot minute. But I LIKE how it's grown out, and I'm not doing it to embrace my age...it's because I like what it looks like.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 PM
Status: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." (set 11 days ago)

49,014 posts, read 39,206,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'll tell ya...if I didn't like the color of my hair (white and silver) I'd color it in a hot minute. But I LIKE how it's grown out, and I'm not doing it to embrace my age...it's because I like what it looks like.
You go girl - you do you!

I am 58 years old. I'm not ashamed of my age at all. And I LOVE my silver hair! LOVE IT. It's sort of a natural ombre and it goes well with my skin tone (very fair) and my very dark brown eyes and dark brows. I have what I guess you'd call "vivid" coloring - very pale skin but I blush easily and have a lot of color to my lips if that makes sense. So I'm sure that's why my hair color doesn't wash me out.

If I didn't like it, like you, I would color it in a split second. In fact, every winter around Christmas time, I actually get streaks of it even lighter, as light as I can go, on the top. I really want it to sparkle over the holidays, and I don't have as much color to my skin since I'm not out in the sun as much. So it tends to get a little more salt and peppery which I don't like as much.

But back to my original point - Listen, people may not like to hear this but most women aren't fooling anyone age wise, not within a few years anyway, when they dye their hair "trying to look younger." If a woman is in her forties, she's generally going to look somewhere around that age. Same with fifties and beyond. I don't care what anyone TELLS her.

The key to cute, all natural hair is a terrific cut in my opinion. Keep the style trendy, energetic, etc. Don't wear an old lady hairstyle and you won't look like an old lady - LOL.

But there's nothing wrong with being in our forties, or fifties, or sixties, or beyond. Wear it like a badge, ladies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or