U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 AM

9,718 posts, read 3,667,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I let my hair dry naturally, I look like a dang goober. My hair waves in the front, and not in a pretty way. I have naturally curly hair but it doesn't curl in spirals, it curls in crazy waves and cowlicks.

So I don't color anymore (and get compliments on the natural color all the time) but I can't break away from the flat iron. I told my husband, "I don't care how rich or how poor we are - when the flat iron dies, we buy another one THAT DAY - and they're at least $100." That and a coffee pot. I don't know how poor I'd have to be to go without either of those. I just hope they don't both die on the same day!

This made me giggle. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 02:31 PM

13,614 posts, read 7,848,629 times
I'd happily go natural, at least 80% gray, tomorrow, but my husband has a full head of hair with just a few strands of gray and doesn't want me to be gray so I keep coloring, highlighting, and lowlighting. I told him very recently I will keep up the monthly coloring regime until my current hair colorist retires. she's 60. she may retire soon, I hope. I'm so over maintaining the false illusion of strawberry blonde hair at 61 years old.

I, too, want to "embrace the gray"!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 02-20-2020 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-20-2020, 03:50 PM

52,926 posts, read 41,644,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I'd happily go natural, at least 80% gray, tomorrow, but my husband has a full head of hair with just a few strands of gray and doesn't want me to be gray so I keep coloring, highlighting, and lowlighting. I told him very recently I will keep up the monthly coloring regime until my current hair colorist retires. she's 60. she may retire soon, I hope. I'm so over maintaining the false illusion of strawberry blonde hair at 61 years old.

I swear to you, I think my husband thought he was still blonde for the longest time. After I went naturally salt and pepper (more salt on top and pepper in the back) I said "Hey, we match," and he was SO SURPRISED. He actually said, "Well, I've still got some blonde hair" and I said, "Errr, hate to tell you this but no you don't."

Old 02-20-2020, 03:58 PM

9,718 posts, read 3,667,880 times
My mom, who's in her 80's, and has short-term memory loss, is always surprised when she sees my white hair, and always assumes I've dyed it blond. She's always surprised when I tell her this is my natural hair, and this is what it's grown out to.

Even today, I went by her house to pick up some mail. A couple of days ago, I'd given her some photos from Christmas. One of the pictures is of my great-niece, sitting on my lap. My mom tells me that she was looking at the picture today, and how we looked so much alike with our blond hair. LOL

Old 02-21-2020, 04:43 PM

4,976 posts, read 7,030,066 times
Quote:

If you have that much gray, you shouldn't need to be doing coloring, high-lighting, and low-lighting. You could pick a single shade and dye all the hair that color (not too dark, not too light). Your grays will provide natural highlights in the color. That won't solve the entire problem of coloring, but it would greatly simplify it.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:46 PM

14,181 posts, read 14,859,084 times
The adorable youngsters in my writing group say I remind them of Rogue from the X-Men comics. Sweeties<3

Old 02-24-2020, 12:29 PM

5,638 posts, read 10,374,881 times
Quote:

Tell your husband to color his hair gray -- that it's his turn to do the deed. Problem solved!

Old 02-29-2020, 11:14 PM

4,053 posts, read 1,867,319 times
90% of the gray i have is right around my face. Think Bride of Frankenstein. I'm also someone who colored since my teens because I liked the red tones around my pale face. But when it started to grown, all you could see was an inch of gray on each side and I realized it was a losing proposition. One day I got to wondering what color my hair really was and what I was supposed to look like. Five months later the gray on one side has reached my forehead and I kind of like how it looks like a highlight in some places.

We're doing a glaze to keep me from having that line - and all I can say is thank heaven I made this decision before I was all gray because that line looks awful to me when I see someone growing out color on all gray hair. So we'll cut and glaze, which washes out, and eventually the gray will be the full length of my haircut and no line. Some time next year. I look forward to it with only a little trepidation.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:03 PM

10,790 posts, read 9,483,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I let my hair dry naturally, I look like a dang goober. My hair waves in the front, and not in a pretty way. I have naturally curly hair but it doesn't curl in spirals, it curls in crazy waves and cowlicks.

So I don't color anymore (and get compliments on the natural color all the time) but I can't break away from the flat iron. I told my husband, "I don't care how rich or how poor we are - when the flat iron dies, we buy another one THAT DAY - and they're at least $100." That and a coffee pot. I don't know how poor I'd have to be to go without either of those. I just hope they don't both die on the same day!
Well I've got six good ones I don't use that were all $100+ each that I'll mail you! I was always in search of the Holy Grail of flat irons.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:47 PM

7,257 posts, read 3,756,902 times
I work for a publishing/content distribution company, and authors often visit our offices for talks/meet & greets.

Just last week, Sue Monk Kidd visited. She's in her early 70s, with pure white hair, and she is truly beautiful. Seriously. Her hair is gorgeous, and I told her so. She seemed surprised to hear that, which surprises me. She must hear that often.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 03-06-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or