U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 PM

7,257 posts, read 3,756,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I let my hair dry naturally, I look like a dang goober. My hair waves in the front, and not in a pretty way. I have naturally curly hair but it doesn't curl in spirals, it curls in crazy waves and cowlicks.

So I don't color anymore (and get compliments on the natural color all the time) but I can't break away from the flat iron. I told my husband, "I don't care how rich or how poor we are - when the flat iron dies, we buy another one THAT DAY - and they're at least $100." That and a coffee pot. I don't know how poor I'd have to be to go without either of those. I just hope they don't both die on the same day!
LOL. You are SO funny, Kathryn. Have you ever thought about doing stand-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 07:49 AM

52,926 posts, read 41,644,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
LOL. You are SO funny, Kathryn. Have you ever thought about doing stand-up?
Hey get this! Yesterday I was filmed for a sales video, and I got to tell a couple of stories about working with the boss when he first started. Then he asked me to tell a particular story before the big sales meeting that afternoon - it was SOOOOOO funny to reminisce about all those fun times we had together!

Back on the topic of the thread, one of the women who was with me yesterday, who I worked with for years but also hadn't seen for years, had let her hair go completely natural. It was a beautiful white on top and a silvery mix in the back. It was gorgeous.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:16 PM

5,637 posts, read 10,374,881 times
OP here..now about 85% gray. I keep cutting it shorter as the coloring fades out on the ends.

It looks pretty good so far. People will be surprised when we get to go public again...this is a perfect time to grow it out privately.

The texture is much less dry and the oil helps a lot...gives it a nice sheen.

Silver Power!!!

Old 04-24-2020, 10:20 AM

4,719 posts, read 2,177,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I let my hair dry naturally, I look like a dang goober. My hair waves in the front, and not in a pretty way. I have naturally curly hair but it doesn't curl in spirals, it curls in crazy waves and cowlicks.

So I don't color anymore (and get compliments on the natural color all the time) but I can't break away from the flat iron. I told my husband, "I don't care how rich or how poor we are - when the flat iron dies, we buy another one THAT DAY - and they're at least $100." That and a coffee pot. I don't know how poor I'd have to be to go without either of those. I just hope they don't both die on the same day!

My hair is wavy and I like it. But unless I blow dry with a round brush, which makes it look very nice and smooth, shiny, it looks shapeless. It has body but looks disheveled. I do it rarely and just go natural and use a conditioning products.

What is a flat iron, how do you use it, what is the effect, and do you worry it damages your hair?

Old 06-18-2020, 07:15 AM

13,614 posts, read 7,848,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
OP here..now about 85% gray. I keep cutting it shorter as the coloring fades out on the ends.

It looks pretty good so far. People will be surprised when we get to go public again...this is a perfect time to grow it out privately.

The texture is much less dry and the oil helps a lot...gives it a nice sheen.

Silver Power!!!
I decided to take the plunge and grow out my natural color during this covid-19 lockdown, too. the most surprising thing is my new hair growth is almost all white on the crown and dark brown, blonde, and silver on the back of my head. i never knew my natural hair color included dark brown. when i started coloring it decades ago my natural hair color was blonde!

the hair has grown out 1 1/2 inches in three months. the new colors are beautiful, unusual mix and can't wait to see what it will ultimately look like. the plan is to let it grow for another six months and get a haircut to nix the dyed hair.

it has been exciting to finally embrace the gray and jettison the hair dye!

Old 06-18-2020, 12:03 PM

63,246 posts, read 59,950,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I decided to take the plunge and grow out my natural color during this covid-19 lockdown, too. the most surprising thing is my new hair growth is almost all white on the crown and dark brown, blonde, and silver on the back of my head. i never knew my natural hair color included dark brown. when i started coloring it decades ago my natural hair color was blonde!

the hair has grown out 1 1/2 inches in three months. the new colors are beautiful, unusual mix and can't wait to see what it will ultimately look like. the plan is to let it grow for another six months and get a haircut to nix the dyed hair.

it has been exciting to finally embrace the gray and jettison the hair dye!
I am thinking about letting the grey go, too, but I had been dying it a reddish gold and the transition isn't that great.

Has anybody here dyed their hair grey instead of waiting for years for the grey to all come in? Is that a possibility? A few years ago, my daughter's college-aged friends were dying their hair "silver", which was grey but they just didn't call it that because they were kids.

I cannot cut it short because I can't cut off the old hair. I am way too tall and don't have a good enough face, and I just look unbalanced and butchy and homely with short hair. I tried it again about 8 years ago--not even short-short but just chin length, and I recently came across pictures of myself from that time and cringed at how awful I looked. My hair needs to be shoulder length or so.

I'd like to not have to deal with the maintenance of dyed hair again, and if I don't like it, I can always go back. I am retired and was working part-time, which was part of the reason for keeping up the color, but COVID has pretty much killed what I was doing, and I think it's time to retire for good anyway.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:05 AM

12,751 posts, read 6,093,253 times
I would go to a professional who can help you make the transition; perhaps put some gray highlights in your hair. I don't think I would attempt to do this by yourself. It would be a two step process to remove the color already in your hair (hair dye won't lighten hair dye) with bleach and then add the desired color to the bleached sections.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would go to a professional who can help you make the transition; perhaps put some gray highlights in your hair. I don't think I would attempt to do this by yourself. It would be a two step process to remove the color already in your hair (hair dye won't lighten hair dye) with bleach and then add the desired color to the bleached sections.
Oh no no no, I would not attempt to do this by myself.

As a matter of fact, I cut and colored my hair own for about 20 broke years when I was raising my daughter. In the past few years, that has been a luxury I allow myself now that I can finally afford it--to have my hair cut and colored professionally. When I see my beloved stylist again, I will talk with her about it. That may be Sunday. She's the daughter of a friend, and I think I may venture out and hang with that friend in her backyard this weekend. I've started doing a few outdoor visits with people. Having a meal and conversation with real live humans can be a beautiful thing.

She may be shocked. I've adamantly stated that I would continue coloring my hair probably into my 70s, but hey, changing our minds and changing our hair color are two changes over which we actually have control, right?

Old 06-19-2020, 06:05 PM

215 posts, read 59,187 times
Any pictures?

Old 06-22-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Any pictures?
Who are you asking?

If I do this, maybe I will post pictures.

My profile picture was taken in 2015, at which time my hair color was Medium Golden Brown, according to the box.

Now my hair is a lighter reddish-gold and highlighted, except, of course, for the newest two inches or so.

We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or