U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 04:02 PM

5,475 posts, read 10,173,747 times

Advertisements

I posted about this a few years ago. But it took some time to work up my courage to let go of the coloring. Been coloring for almost 30 years.

Yikes!

I started the change-over a few months ago by coloring my hair with a light shade, instead of the usual medium. Now it's been two months and the color is fading and my roots are making a definite appearance

So far so good. My hair looks frosted. But it also looks, from the roots, that it's all grey --- maybe even white.

But I'm going for it.

I'm going to embrace my inner elder.

If the emerging "skunk stripe" is too obvious and ugly, I'm thinking of a buzz cut. hee hee.

Any tips on how to take care of my emerging silver so it's shiny and healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:02 PM

8,759 posts, read 3,197,488 times
I'm white headed/silver now. I'm digging it. The down side is, white/silver/gray hair tends to get dry and frizzy. I've found it's helpful to put something in it. Like leave-in conditioner, serum...SOMETHING.

I use Aquage volumizing foam. https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/a...iABEgJofvD_BwE

it gives my hair a little bit of body without making my hair stiff, and it gives it some shine.

I was using Morrocan oil...but sometimes I put too much in, and it would look stringy and dirty and droopy. I like the Aquage much better.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:03 PM
Status: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." (set 14 days ago)

49,070 posts, read 39,253,845 times
Congrats! I let my hair go it's natural color (I didn't even know what the natural color was, I'd been dying it for so long!) a few years ago and I love it.

Mine is pretty short but not a buzz cut, and it's longer on top. Like you, I started dying it a much lighter color first, and then I added some highlights as the gray came in, and then I suffered for a few months, and then I cut it pretty short a coupla times and by the second or third cut, it was all natural.

Yes, it damages hair to add highlights or to dye it but it was worth the damage to me - LOL. Now it's thick and shiny and very salt and pepper (lots of salt on top but very dark in the back). I love it! I am not trying to brag but I do get compliments on the color all the time.

I do think the natural color looks good with my other coloring. I can see how sometimes some grays can wash out some people. I finally did get my brows professionally done because I felt like my face needed some anchoring if that makes sense. Another thing I have noticed is that I can wear fabulous red lipsticks! I can also wear cherry reds and fuschias which I couldn't wear before.

My hair has always been thick and sort of wiry and dry, so I don't see a difference with the natural color, but I do recommend a serum or argan oil (that's what I use).

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Old 02-07-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I'm white headed/silver now. I'm digging it. The down side is, white/silver/gray hair tends to get dry and frizzy. I've found it's helpful to put something in it. Like leave-in conditioner, serum...SOMETHING.

I use Aquage volumizing foam. https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/a...iABEgJofvD_BwE

it gives my hair a little bit of body without making my hair stiff, and it gives it some shine.

I was using Morrocan oil...but sometimes I put too much in, and it would look stringy and dirty and droopy. I like the Aquage much better.
Thanks! Will check it out!

Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Congrats! I let my hair go it's natural color (I didn't even know what the natural color was, I'd been dying it for so long!) a few years ago and I love it.

Mine is pretty short but not a buzz cut, and it's longer on top. Like you, I started dying it a much lighter color first, and then I added some highlights as the gray came in, and then I suffered for a few months, and then I cut it pretty short a coupla times and by the second or third cut, it was all natural.

Yes, it damages hair to add highlights or to dye it but it was worth the damage to me - LOL. Now it's thick and shiny and very salt and pepper (lots of salt on top but very dark in the back). I love it! I am not trying to brag but I do get compliments on the color all the time.

I do think the natural color looks good with my other coloring. I can see how sometimes some grays can wash out some people. I finally did get my brows professionally done because I felt like my face needed some anchoring if that makes sense. Another thing I have noticed is that I can wear fabulous red lipsticks! I can also wear cherry reds and fuschias which I couldn't wear before.

My hair has always been thick and sort of wiry and dry, so I don't see a difference with the natural color, but I do recommend a serum or argan oil (that's what I use).

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Sounds like you have pretty hair!

Thanks for the tips on the shine product...I hope to glow and not look dry.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:27 AM
Status: "Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite." (set 14 days ago)

49,070 posts, read 39,253,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Sounds like you have pretty hair!

Thanks for the tips on the shine product...I hope to glow and not look dry.
LOL thank you - and if I do have pretty hair, it's about dang time. Most of my life it's been so thick and crazy that it was all I could do to keep it under a semblance of control! So having it become a bit more manageable is nice.

I still have to get it thinned once a month or it goes nuts. I call it my pelt. I swear, it's even water resistant!

I like both argan oil and most other serums.

Oh, I forgot! I also use an olive oil spray after it dries and before I flat iron it. It's Silk Elements Megasilk Olive Heat Protection. It really, really, really brings out the shine. Maybe the most of any of the products I use.

Old 02-08-2020, 10:04 AM

4,052 posts, read 9,642,861 times
I stopped dying my long hair almost 2 years ago (in April). I didn't do a big chop so I can see a line of demarcation, but most people assume I'm rocking ombre.

Naturally, I'm dark blonde/light brown and about 50% gray (and it's getting grayer). I use curly-girl products (no parabens, sulfates, etc) and rarely use any heat on my hair. I allow my coarse and curly hair to dry naturally (with a styling product, right now it's a light weight gel) and it's never looked better. It's shiny and the color is, not surprisingly, perfect for my skin tone. I had no idea that I have pretty hair. I have spent years trying to curl, coax, force my hair into what I thought it was *supposed* to look like. I will never color again.

Since I didn't do a big chop, I can compare my virgin hair to my dyed hair. Wow. I had no idea the damage I was doing. I'm getting ready to cut off all of the dyed ends and I cannot wait.

My tips? Understand your hair type (coarse, medium, fine; porous/not porous, etc). Pick products for your specific hair type. Avoid heat if you can. Definitely avoid products with alcohol.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I stopped dying my long hair almost 2 years ago (in April). I didn't do a big chop so I can see a line of demarcation, but most people assume I'm rocking ombre.

Naturally, I'm dark blonde/light brown and about 50% gray (and it's getting grayer). I use curly-girl products (no parabens, sulfates, etc) and rarely use any heat on my hair. I allow my coarse and curly hair to dry naturally (with a styling product, right now it's a light weight gel) and it's never looked better. It's shiny and the color is, not surprisingly, perfect for my skin tone. I had no idea that I have pretty hair. I have spent years trying to curl, coax, force my hair into what I thought it was *supposed* to look like. I will never color again.

Since I didn't do a big chop, I can compare my virgin hair to my dyed hair. Wow. I had no idea the damage I was doing. I'm getting ready to cut off all of the dyed ends and I cannot wait.

My tips? Understand your hair type (coarse, medium, fine; porous/not porous, etc). Pick products for your specific hair type. Avoid heat if you can. Definitely avoid products with alcohol.
Thanks for your interesting observations and advice.

Yes, I'm curious to see if the texture will be different sans dye.

Right now, my hair feels thin--not the amount, but the individual strand thickness--as though the coloring products have made them thinner--or damaged them.

My hair, pre-coloring, was thick; a bit course--definitely not cornsilk.. Eager to see if un-treated new hair will be that way or if white/grey hair has a different texture.

Time will tell.

Sure do appreciate this fun and generous sister-hood of silver power!

Old 02-08-2020, 11:47 AM

4,125 posts, read 9,422,553 times
I did it around age 50 or so and LOVE it. Funny, I've had so many compliments on my "beautiful skin" since I went grey, my theory is because it matches my hair. I never had that with colored hair.

How I handled it was I grew some roots and then went to a hair stylist and had them do high-lights and low-lights to match what I had naturally. If you're all grey you might want them to color it that way at least with some major highlights. My stylist did such a great job that I had people stop me on the street because they wanted that look (not to grow out their grey, just to have it ). It really cracked me up!

I have never regretted going grey.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I did it around age 50 or so and LOVE it. Funny, I've had so many compliments on my "beautiful skin" since I went grey, my theory is because it matches my hair. I never had that with colored hair.

How I handled it was I grew some roots and then went to a hair stylist and had them do high-lights and low-lights to match what I had naturally. If you're all grey you might want them to color it that way at least with some major highlights. My stylist did such a great job that I had people stop me on the street because they wanted that look (not to grow out their grey, just to have it ). It really cracked me up!

I have never regretted going grey.
I'll sure give that some thought -- someone else mentioned that to me. My goal is to avoid much fussing at the salon--I'm not good at going there except for the occasional styling...

My aversion to sitting through hair fussing goes back to my mother giving me home permanents--I hated the whole thing--especially the smell. And having to sit still for so long.

And the result was pretty bad--my naturally curly hair looked like I stuck my finger in an electrical socket...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or