U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:28 PM

11,841 posts, read 9,245,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Nike isn't a shoe manufacturer anymore.

They are a SJW promoter, 100%.
And yet they still sell millions of shoes every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 PM

8,750 posts, read 7,780,434 times
They own the basketball market with almost 100 percent. They are good shoes. Adidas is stronger in soccer. It's pretty wide open in running, but Nike is not among the leader there. Hoka One One and Oofos are supposed to be up-and-coming because of the better cushioning. I think a lot of the established shoes below the top end have cut back on cushioning from the feel.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:46 PM

7,388 posts, read 11,516,494 times
I don't have any interest in Nike products due to their SJW activities. But that's solely my opinion and action.

I used to love New Balance, but my two current pairs of 674's are nowhere near the quality of NB products that I've bought over the years.

My wife just bought Brooks shoes and said I should try them as well. They can be pricey, but I have no problem paying a little more for a quality product.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 PM

40 posts, read 12,912 times
I was loyal to Nike for most of my life but I noticed the decline in quality too, so this year I'm trying another brand.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:10 AM

21,818 posts, read 31,841,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
My wife just bought Brooks shoes and said I should try them as well. They can be pricey, but I have no problem paying a little more for a quality product.
She's right! Brooks makes a high quality shoe and as somewhat with a pronated outward step find them far and away the best shoe in terms of comfort/

Old 02-11-2020, 07:17 AM

6,753 posts, read 3,104,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
And yet they still sell millions of shoes every year.
And how long before the soles fall off or the stitching disintegrates?

If you're selling all sizzle, you'll let the quality of the steak go to pot.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:39 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,851,505 times
Maybe if Nike can see it in their SJW heart to double the pay to $1 an hour to the Indonesian workers who make the shoes, then possibly see an increase in quality? Of course they may want to stop the beatings of employees as well. Idk....

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-the-i...-e9afae6c4a7e/

Of course if you pay the workers a better wage, then Kapernick would have to take a pay cut....and that can't happen.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:27 PM
46H

1,091 posts, read 674,499 times
I play indoor basketball 3 nights a week. I was mostly using Nikes and they were lasting 6-9 months before my feet would hurt due to the padding under my feet breaking down (I write the purchase date on the shoes). About 5 years ago the Nikes started lasting only 3 months before my feet would hurt. The shoes looked to be in excellent shape, no rips or loose seams and the soles looked barely worn. However, it felt like there were concrete foot beds in the Nikes. I switched to Under Armour and Adidas and both these brandes last 9 months or longer. Until I have a problem with UA or Adidas, I will not be buying Nike.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:34 PM

5,239 posts, read 1,383,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Maybe if Nike can see it in their SJW heart to double the pay to $1 an hour to the Indonesian workers who make the shoes, then possibly see an increase in quality? Of course they may want to stop the beatings of employees as well. Idk....

https://thinkprogress.org/meet-the-i...-e9afae6c4a7e/

Of course if you pay the workers a better wage, then Kapernick would have to take a pay cut....and that can't happen.
Nike would take that request and run with it. "Doubling the wage would double our production costs, which would double the price of our shoes. Let's do it." They'd launch a "fair pay" PR campaign and release a specific line of sneakers at $400 (without endorsements, without collaborations) to serve this purpose and look like a progressive company.

Never mind the absolute increase in production costs would be a fraction of a dollar per shoe. But they'd make all sorts of false assumptions and bluffs in support of widening their margins even more. You can't trust a corporation to be transparent, and there is likely a motive behind each act of "generosity", whether it's a token response to a complaint/suit, or positioning themselves to be perceived as something other than "the bad guy".

Not all companies pull stunts like this, some boards actually have tact and class. The ones that do should be approached with the same caution as interacting with a sociopath.

Old 02-11-2020, 12:44 PM

1,560 posts, read 508,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Good luck finding another brand that hasn't also sacrificed quality for profits. I agree with you though.

Try a brand called Hoka. They are amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or