Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 01:42 PM

12,076 posts, read 23,185,839 times

Advertisements

In general I think it is a good look for a man. As noted above, a lot of Americans dress like slobs and don't think anything of wearing pajamas and slippers to go grocery shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 09:35 AM

4,191 posts, read 6,873,262 times
As a guy, I like to dress nicely and do spend money on quality, tailored clothing etc.

That being said, I have a couple comments here. A sportcoat as regular attire is a classic look as long as it is tailored well and fits the mood of the event. It's more preppy than I tend to lean, though I do occasionally wear one casually to the office in the spring/fall. In most situations I do not believe you would be 'overdressed', you would just be sporting a preppier look for the occasion - a style, not a level of dress.

Now, at the beach, a concert, the local dive bar, on a bike ride, your kids t ball game...yes, there are lots of places that a sportcoat might be a little out of place or a couple notches above normal attire and some people might view it as stuffy. Doesn't necessarily make it bad. We're not talking about a suit here.

As a guy who appreciates fashion, I will say this though: I don't automatically equate a sportcoat to dressing 'nice' or 'nicer' than others. It comes down to the full outfit, the fit, and the occasion. I don't necessarily consider a guy who wears a sportcoat to EVERYTHING to be that stylish, because they have one mode. I certainly wouldn't put them in the slob category, but I wouldn't also automatically say they dress 'nice'. I think a lot of people think that the level of dress makes someone dressed nicer / better than other people but I think fashionable and formality are 2 different scales that are both important but independent factors.

IE: The guy wearing an ill-fitting suit and patent leather dress shoes to the fairly casual business meeting vs the guy wearing a tailored tweed sport coat, a nice oxford, chinos, and nice dress shoes to the same meeting. I'd say the latter is more nicely dressed.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,539,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
As a guy, I like to dress nicely and do spend money on quality, tailored clothing etc.

That being said, I have a couple comments here. A sportcoat as regular attire is a classic look as long as it is tailored well and fits the mood of the event. It's more preppy than I tend to lean, though I do occasionally wear one casually to the office in the spring/fall. In most situations I do not believe you would be 'overdressed', you would just be sporting a preppier look for the occasion - a style, not a level of dress.

Now, at the beach, a concert, the local dive bar, on a bike ride, your kids t ball game...yes, there are lots of places that a sportcoat might be a little out of place or a couple notches above normal attire and some people might view it as stuffy. Doesn't necessarily make it bad. We're not talking about a suit here.

As a guy who appreciates fashion, I will say this though: I don't automatically equate a sportcoat to dressing 'nice' or 'nicer' than others. It comes down to the full outfit, the fit, and the occasion. I don't necessarily consider a guy who wears a sportcoat to EVERYTHING to be that stylish, because they have one mode. I certainly wouldn't put them in the slob category, but I wouldn't also automatically say they dress 'nice'. I think a lot of people think that the level of dress makes someone dressed nicer / better than other people but I think fashionable and formality are 2 different scales that are both important but independent factors.

IE: The guy wearing an ill-fitting suit and patent leather dress shoes to the fairly casual business meeting vs the guy wearing a tailored tweed sport coat, a nice oxford, chinos, and nice dress shoes to the same meeting. I'd say the latter is more nicely dressed.

There's a L O T more to fashion & style than being preppy IMO ........A N D updated & reinvented preppy styles have changed..........

O.P. is comfortable in a sport coat at a soccer game.....BUT that's not fashionable or the new preppy style either IMO. It's just somebody dresssing the way they want to dress because of older styles they have hung on to....A N D there is nothing wrong with it. Not everybody cares about fashion.....& IMO that's what he is saying.............

Old 02-19-2020, 10:04 AM

5,214 posts, read 2,988,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I remember first noticing this look in the early 2000's, it looks like a person knows what to do, but not know how to do it. I think it is not even close to being pretentious. It is a look I will never understand, reminds me of an elderly guy thinking they are under society pressure to look somewhat formal every time they step out of the bedroom, but reality is they do not want to, so this look is a compromise. combined with tucking the front of your shirt in so everyone can see your belt buckle, you will be rocking it, lol.
Please explain what you mean by this. Thank you.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
There's a L O T more to fashion & style than being preppy IMO ........A N D updated & reinvented preppy styles have changed..........

O.P. is comfortable in a sport coat at a soccer game.....BUT that's not fashionable or the new preppy style either IMO. It's just somebody dresssing the way they want to dress because of older styles they have hung on to....A N D there is nothing wrong with it. Not everybody cares about fashion.....& IMO that's what he is saying.............
Understood. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone dressing how they want and wearing a sportcoat.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Understood. I don't think there is anything wrong with someone dressing how they want and wearing a sportcoat.

You can dress however you want....ita.....BUT...that's not being fashionable or right for the occasion either & that's what O.P. was asking IMO.

Old 02-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
You can dress however you want....ita.....BUT...that's not being fashionable or right for the occasion either & that's what O.P. was asking IMO.
I agree, but isn't that what I said in my first post? I thought you were disagreeing with my post.

I apologize, but I think maybe I am not understanding where you are coming from.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I agree, but isn't that what I said in my first post? I thought you were disagreeing with my post.

I apologize, but I think maybe I am not understanding where you are coming from.

We are ita about people wearing what they want.........

I don't think we are ita about preppy & what's fashionable.......

Old 02-19-2020, 12:47 PM

797 posts, read 3,573,885 times
Why should every man? I am a 40-year-old man and I have never owned a sport coat. I have gotten to age 40 without one so I do not ever see myself wearing one. I would laugh at myself the entire time.

I am a flip flop, shorts, and t shirt guy from April - October and jeans, flannel shirt, and sneakers guy from November - March. My work has no dress code so I never have to change what I am wearing for work or for pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Every man should own a blue sport coat. I wear jackets a lot since it covers a multitude of sins. I prefer a western cut since I wear boots often.

https://www.countryoutfitter.com/men...r/sport-coats/

Old 02-19-2020, 02:11 PM

2,268 posts, read 3,903,378 times
A sport coat, especially one with texture (e.g., tweed and corduroy), looks good on any man. If the objective is to avoid looking contrived in a casual setting, then buy a sport coat that doesn't look tailored (sack style - no pinched waist), has soft lines (no shoulder pads) and has patch pockets. The earthly tones of tweed works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty