Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times

Advertisements

I have been battling thinning hair now for several years. I went to a cancer wig shop (hair loss not caused by cancer). I bought an extension and a wig. Wore the extension many times, wig zero times.

Finding a stylist that understands thinning hair is a losing battle. I finally found out about PRP and now 8 treatments in. The doc said it was going to be slow. I had let it go without treatment for a while, but photos do show an improvement. Slow, but improving.

Funny. It was in the doc's office I found a hair dresser that specializes in thinning hair and is familiar with various wig and extensions- it's her specialty. I plan to schedule an appointment. All the prior youngsters insisted on heavy conditioners and cutting several inches off. Only tune they know. I will know in 10 minutes how much value this new resource will have. And of course her zip code is not in the cheap part of town. At least she's not a fool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2020, 08:33 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm hesitantly posting this topic of discussion. Please be respectful.

Recently I have started my journey into the world of faux hair. My hair has been thinning on top for quite some time and only shows signs of getting worse, which is terrible for my self confidence. (I'm a white female, btw). I've recently started wearing a topper, and it's taking a little getting used to. I feel like everyone is looking at me funny (I know it's just my imagination).

What I'm finding interesting in the process is the difference in opinions on the matter, which seems to run along black and white cultural lines. In general, black women are much more accepting of faux hair. Many have no qualms wearing full wigs or partial hair pieces, and even those who don't wear them don't have any negative opinions of faux hair. They talk openly and proudly about their weaves and wigs. They aren't necessarily worn out of necessity, but often just an expression of one's style.

For white women, however, there seems to still be a stigma. It's gotten a little better with regards to extensions, but wigs and toppers still seem to be a dirty little secret for white women. Very few white women (with some exceptions, of course), don't use faux hair to enhance their style (other than the aforementioned extensions). It seems to be mainly corrective measures (alopecia, cancer, general hair loss), and no one wants to talk about it. I find myself feeling a little ashamed when I tell people that I've gotten a topper. I don't know why I have trouble accepting it as an expression of my style, rather than covering a deficiency.

The only theory I can come up with to explain this is that natural AA hair is so difficult to style and maintain, that it has led black women to be more accepting of alternatives. White women don't have the same sort of difficulty. I think we kind of take the simplicity of our hair care for granted. We don't feel the need to explore alternatives.

Any thoughts on any other factors that I might not be thinking of? Anyone know the perspectives from other cultures? I know long natural hair is very important in Indian culture ... anyone know their general feelings on faux hair? What about Asian cultures?
I guess as a topic of cultural discussion this doesn't much interest me, but as a topic for advice, I'm wondering if you're tried something like biotin or a dermatologist who specializes in hair.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
No one said anything about not being "comfortable" with a wig in a shop that catered to other ethnic groups. Just that there wasn't anything there that my mother could make use of. There were about 3 choices an 80 yr old woman could try. That was it.

I didn't say it couldn't be done or that I hadn't done what you suggested (I've watched tons of vids).. I was simply commenting that's what it looks like around here with wig shops culturally.... concurring with op.

I haven't seen 1 wig shop around here that caters specifically to Hispanic women either.
OK. I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that around here, there are lots of wig shops that cater specifically to Hispanic women. (And also AA women but apparently those won't work for your mom, and that's OK.) So I was thinking maybe that would work.

Just trying to help.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Among white people, it seems that there is a lot more judgement when it comes to anything that is considered fake. I'm white, so I think I can say this. Being "natural" is viewed as a positive "value" in white culture, which is the prevailing culture. Women who do anything to enhance themselves are views as cheating.

Yeah and no.

Case in point... the rise of obviously, blatantly, proudly artificial permanent/semiperm hair color. The candy colors... the teals, purples, bright pinks, cherry reds, the mermaid hair. Hell, even my husband's genteel, patrician 70-ish aunt got a tasteful swatch of violet in her otherwise staid "ladies who lunch in cream pantsuits" smooth ash blonde pageboy. I've been sporting a dark ruby red, not-seen-in-nature hue since about October, and nobody bats an eye. Fake hair might not be mainstream as a fashion choice for white women (costly extensions among celebrities and other well-heeled sorts excepted, because those are definitely a thing), but balls to the wall intentionally unnatural fake color for fun is.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:15 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK. I didn't mean to offend you. It's just that around here, there are lots of wig shops that cater specifically to Hispanic women. (And also AA women but apparently those won't work for your mom, and that's OK.) So I was thinking maybe that would work.

Just trying to help.

No worries.

Thank you.

Old 02-27-2020, 07:29 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I guess as a topic of cultural discussion this doesn't much interest me, but as a topic for advice, I'm wondering if you're tried something like biotin or a dermatologist who specializes in hair.
Not looking for suggestions or advice. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:21 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As I found out about wigs from a friend who is a performer, actress, singer, I think there are many white women in the entertainment field who avail themselves of wigs, hair extensions, and toppers.
They just don't announce it.

In mainstream white culture, a wig (meaning all faux hair) is thought of as somewhat shameful. I really is. People associate in with sickness - especially cancer. Or alopecia. Or, heaven forbid, bad hair or aging.

Women naturally DO lose hair as they age. They do not necessarily become bald, obviously, but many of us at 50+ do not have the volume of hair that we do at 18.

I have no idea why more women don't explore faux hair. I don't mean costume type wigs, I mean wigs that are well made, and used by women because they want to look great.

Has anyone ever thought of going to an upscale wig salon and tried on several styles and colors? It's also a great way to find out how you look in another color or style or color, without the commitment.

I know some of you have mentioned ordering wigs on-line. I would be afraid to do that, without trying them on.

How have your experiences been?

I'm curious, if you don't wear wigs, and never have, how do you view them?

Like Hert, I am curious.
I look at the reviews on Amazon and that usually tells me what I need to know. I also need to see pics of the inside of the wig. I only buy lace front wigs and I look for the net to be very pale because that matches my skin better. Some wigs have net to cover the whole scalp area, with strips of hair sewn on below the lace area, and others have strips of elastic lace holding the strips of hair. The kind with the elastic lace are slightly more comfortable in hot weather, but the ones with net hide your own hair better if you don't want to wear a wig cap.

If you're white, don't buy a wig with yaki texture, it's made to mimic black hair that has been relaxed. It looks wonderful on black women, but odd on white women.

When I get a wig, I trim the lace, pluck the front hairline a little bit, remove any sewn-in clips, and sew the elastic adjustment straps into place. I use velvet wig grip bands to keep the wig on. You can get them with a net section that keeps them from showing in the part of the wig. I wear synthetic wigs because the thought of wearing someone else's hair grosses me out. You can soak synthetic wigs in diluted fabric softener when they start to get frizzy. The ones I use can be styled with the flat iron or curling iron on its lowest heat setting. I use a silicone spray on them to make them easier to comb out.

I'm wearing wigs because most of my hair fell out when I was sick. It looks odd right now, and I either need a scarf or a wig when I go out. With the scarf, everyone stares and talks about cancer. The wigs look pretty good, they're easy to put on, and they don't make it obvious I've been ill.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not looking for suggestions or advice. Thanks.
One of the nice things about threads like this is that others can learn from it, and may benefit from information the OP doesn't need.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:59 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
One of the nice things about threads like this is that others can learn from it, and may benefit from information the OP doesn't need.
It was framed in the form of a question to me. I'm not interested in going down that road. If anyone wants to share unsolicited information, I can't stop them, but it is kind of off topic.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:31 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
No one said anything about not being "comfortable" with a wig in a shop that catered to other ethnic groups. Just that there wasn't anything there that my mother could make use of. There were about 3 choices an 80 yr old woman could try. That was it.

I didn't say it couldn't be done or that I hadn't done what you suggested (I've watched tons of vids).. I was simply commenting that's what it looks like around here with wig shops culturally.... concurring with op.

I haven't seen 1 wig shop around here that caters specifically to Hispanic women either.
I haven't seen Latina wig shops either. Latin people can have a variety of hair textures and types, ranging from straight, to curly to kinky. It really runs the spectrum.

Perhaps Lantin wig shops are popular in Texas or other southern boarder states. I really don't know.

In my area, *most* of the wig shops are run and owned by Asian immigrants and patronized, for the most part; by African American customers.

When I first shopped for a wig, I did check out these local stores. The shopping experience was horrible. I was limited to trying on three wigs per visit, had to pay for a head cap, which I know was a health and sanitary protocol, but the cap just should have been offered gratis.

Just as there are differences in African American and European hair, there are differences in wigs that cater to each group. The color and texture of the wigs were wrong for me.

Fortunately, I was able to find an upscale wig salon, across the state boarder, in PA. They catered to people of every ethnicity.

I have been a customer ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty