Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 05:41 PM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I know white women wear wigs. I wasn't suggesting they don't. But there is more of a stigma about it.
Yes, it seems white women try to make sure their faux hair is as un-obvious as possible. Whereas black friends I've had will show up with completely-different hairstyles sometimes even from week to week, will braid in different colors, etc.-- so it's very obviously fake-- and no one bats an eyelash, because it's just a cultural thing. (But some of those same people would look askance at a white woman who did the same.)

And yes, of course there's the difference that it's less "necessary" for white women on a day-to-day basis because our hair is easier to care for, so I don't want to sound insensitive when I point out the differences in societal attitude between the two. But yeah, sometimes I wish using faux hair to enhance a hairstyle, or make one possible that otherwise might not with a person's natural length/thickness of hair, or wearing elaborate hairstyles or colored hair braided in, was more socially-acceptable in white culture as well. Instead of faux hair being seen as something you do because you're sick or have some other sort of hair loss, which is seen to make a person unacceptably unattractive and hence is something they have to cover up or "fix"-- which is where the stigma comes from. And I don't think "stigma" is too strong of a word, since the assumption is that if you're using the faux hair, there must be something wrong with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Or tell them - but my point is it's really none of their business and if you don't WANT to tell people, that's OK too.
I think part of the point, though, might be to get it out of the open so it's NOT seen as "something that isn't done" or as something to be ashamed about. To be able to talk about it casually as if it's no big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yeah and no.

Case in point... the rise of obviously, blatantly, proudly artificial permanent/semiperm hair color. The candy colors... the teals, purples, bright pinks, cherry reds, the mermaid hair. Hell, even my husband's genteel, patrician 70-ish aunt got a tasteful swatch of violet in her otherwise staid "ladies who lunch in cream pantsuits" smooth ash blonde pageboy. I've been sporting a dark ruby red, not-seen-in-nature hue since about October, and nobody bats an eye. Fake hair might not be mainstream as a fashion choice for white women (costly extensions among celebrities and other well-heeled sorts excepted, because those are definitely a thing), but balls to the wall intentionally unnatural fake color for fun is.
Sometimes. It depends on who you ask. It's another one of those things about which some people will say "Ugh, s/he's trying to get attention/look edgy/look young," even if those aren't the motivations.

My mom would've dearly loved to dye her hair some fun colors; when she was young, it wasn't "done" so she didn't have a chance then, and was chuffed it had become more socially-acceptable. I kept trying to convince her but she was sure she'd be ridiculed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
When I first shopped for a wig, I did check out these local stores. The shopping experience was horrible. I was limited to trying on three wigs per visit, had to pay for a head cap, which I know was a health and sanitary protocol, but the cap just should have been offered gratis.
Part of the issue here, I'm sure, is that a lot of stores see the issue of people coming in to use their employees' time and resources to try things on, and then they go and buy online. A store might offer a free wig cap if they knew the customer was going to buy a wig from them, but that probably often doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 10:38 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
And you know this based on what?
Let's not derail the thread, but do you really doubt what Klassyhk posted?

For one thing, many if not most AA women in decades past didn't have as much disposable income to spend on the kinds of elective surgeries that were referenced. In general, they still don't. Do I know every AA woman in the US? Obviously not. But the ones I do know would never get Botox injected into their face. No matter how safe the government says it is. And Black women tend not to age "as badly" as those in other groups. Their skin can be less prone to show certain signs of aging. In general, I don't think that's debatable.

Certain segments of that minority population to this day are not as quick as other populations to have elective cosmetic surgeries. Black women had bigger issues in society to concern themselves with than wrinkles. And black women didn't need some of the procedures. They already had the fuller lips and hips others were getting injections to have! I don't think that's questionable either.

And I believe many more AAs think cosmetic surgery in general is mostly unnecessary, and that a person should try to make peace with "the way God made you." Work with what you have...sure enhance it if you can. But surgery for a cosmetic reason? Blacks just aren't as quick to do that. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

What do I base this on? The African American women I know, the history of societal pressures AA women faced that others didn't, and a historical wage gap. I don't need to quote a study to prove to someone else what most people in my circle believe is common knowledge.

Last edited by selhars; 03-01-2020 at 10:47 PM..

Old 03-02-2020, 07:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
I haven't seen Latina wig shops either. Latin people can have a variety of hair textures and types, ranging from straight, to curly to kinky. It really runs the spectrum.

Perhaps Lantin wig shops are popular in Texas or other southern boarder states. I really don't know.

In my area, *most* of the wig shops are run and owned by Asian immigrants and patronized, for the most part; by African American customers.

When I first shopped for a wig, I did check out these local stores. The shopping experience was horrible. I was limited to trying on three wigs per visit, had to pay for a head cap, which I know was a health and sanitary protocol, but the cap just should have been offered gratis.

Just as there are differences in African American and European hair, there are differences in wigs that cater to each group. The color and texture of the wigs were wrong for me.

Fortunately, I was able to find an upscale wig salon, across the state boarder, in PA. They catered to people of every ethnicity.

I have been a customer ever since.

Yes, I live in Texas and there are tons of wig shops that cater to Hispanic people. And you are right, their hair can have a variety of textures so the wigs have a variety of textures.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I would think Hispanic women, depending on their hair texture, would use the hair shops that cater either to WW or BW. I'm not aware of any Hispanic wig & hair shops in places I've lived but maybe they exists in predominately Hispanic areas in border towns that I haven't been to.
I live in NE Texas about 8 hours from the border, but yes, it's still Texas. We have tons of wig and beauty supply shops that cater to our Hispanic population.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Let's not derail the thread, but do you really doubt what Klassyhk posted?

For one thing, many if not most AA women in decades past didn't have as much disposable income to spend on the kinds of elective surgeries that were referenced. In general, they still don't. Do I know every AA woman in the US? Obviously not. But the ones I do know would never get Botox injected into their face. No matter how safe the government says it is. And Black women tend not to age "as badly" as those in other groups. Their skin can be less prone to show certain signs of aging. In general, I don't think that's debatable.

Certain segments of that minority population to this day are not as quick as other populations to have elective cosmetic surgeries. Black women had bigger issues in society to concern themselves with than wrinkles. And black women didn't need some of the procedures. They already had the fuller lips and hips others were getting injections to have! I don't think that's questionable either.

And I believe many more AAs think cosmetic surgery in general is mostly unnecessary, and that a person should try to make peace with "the way God made you." Work with what you have...sure enhance it if you can. But surgery for a cosmetic reason? Blacks just aren't as quick to do that. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

What do I base this on? The African American women I know, the history of societal pressures AA women faced that others didn't, and a historical wage gap. I don't need to quote a study to prove to someone else what most people in my circle believe is common knowledge.

I was heavily involved with a secondary education system US wide for five years - most program directors and instructors were AA. So I dare to say that you have no idea what women spent and spend on hair and nails. When was the last time you have been in a license required supply store?

When it comes to female shapes - when was the last time you looked?

Old 03-02-2020, 02:00 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
That's mind blogging considering that White women single-highhandedly kept cosmetic surgery in business for decades. The enhancement popularity was: breast/boobs (primarily to make them noticeably bigger to all - boobs were intentionally increased out of proportion to the rest of the body), facial/botox/or other surgery to fight-signs-of-aging, and fat reduction/lap band/liposuction/fat-freezing.

African-American and Asian women have only recently joined the party in having cosmetic enhancements done in the USA.
White women are split on plastic surgery with some being vehemently opposed to it, and others all for it even going to excesses, and others, such as my self, being somewhat in the middle, non judgmental, and moderate about the subject.

From my observation, white women, and I will say this as a white woman, seem to make it into a big deal - almost a cause - either "pro-plastic surgery" and "pro -aging" or "ant-plastic surgery" and "anti-aging".
For black women, it isn't a "cause" - it's more of a personal choice.

For what it's worth, it's a rather well known fact that S. Korean women avail themselves of plastic surgery more than any other women in the world.

I have little personal knowledge of Asian women in the US, but I can provide a link about the Korean women, if anyone has not heard about that.

I think AA women like looking good, and are not puritanical about spending money on themselves. As a group, they age more slowly than white women. So, age related cosmetic surgery, is not popular, because it's not needed.

Getting back to wigs, which is the topic, there are many reasons why I have come to enjoy wigs. Here are a few -

1. Bad hair days - we all have them, regardless of race, region, country or background. Sometimes my hair just looks "meh" and my husband, who's hair always looks the same, wants to go out. Or we both do.
B.W. (Before Wigs) I would usually make an excuse - even when I really felt like getting out of the house, it's never fun when YOU don't think your hair looks good. I'd make excuses from headaches to fatigue.
(If I said the real reason "my hair doesn't look right", like most husbands, he will say "your hair looks fine" and we'd squabble about that.

NOW - I just pop a wig on, apply a little make up and I look as though I stepped out of the hair dresser - at least to myself, and that's what counts.

2, Cost saving. I have very straight, fine hair. When I say "fine" I mean each strand is fine. I am not "good with hair" and while straight hair may at first seem easy to work with - trust me, it's not.
As I've gotten older, I've indulged myself by having my hair bone one or twice a week, When I say "done" I just mean washed, conditioned, blow out and style. Now, with my small wig collection, I don't go as frequently, Good wigs are an initial investment, but there are savings later on.

3. Your savings will not only be in money, but in time. Unless you have very short, or permed hair stying takes time. An appointment at a hairdresser does also. With a wig, you put it on, and go. That's it.

4. My go to wigs are my natural colors, I have the coloring for red hair and I bought a red wig. I love it! But not enough to make a commitment to it. I'm a blonde, and it's part of my identity. I enjoy being a red head sometimes. Variety is the spice of life.

For those of you who do use wigs, what ate your favorite brands? I like Jon Reneau and BelleTresse.
I haven't ventured into the world of custom made wigs, and I am curious about where one purchases them.

Perhaps herfortshire can give me some directions.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:24 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,320,351 times
My hair was thinning on top too, but once I realized it was thyroid pbs, diet has reversed the condition. I will be seeing my oncologist end of this week. Hopefully she will confirm that I am cancer-free, hence no chemo and no wig shall be required.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:44 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,320,351 times
Quote:
White women are split on plastic surgery with some being vehemently opposed to it, and others all for it even going to excesses, and others, such as my self, being somewhat in the middle, non judgmental, and moderate about the subject.

From my observation, white women, and I will say this as a white woman, seem to make it into a big deal - almost a cause - either "pro-plastic surgery" and "pro -aging" or "ant-plastic surgery" and "anti-aging".
For black women, it isn't a "cause" - it's more of a personal choice.

For what it's worth, it's a rather well known fact that S. Korean women avail themselves of plastic surgery more than any other women in the world.

I have little personal knowledge of Asian women in the US, but I can provide a link about the Korean women, if anyone has not heard about that.

I think AA women like looking good, and are not puritanical about spending money on themselves. As a group, they age more slowly than white women. So, age related cosmetic surgery, is not popular, because it's not needed.

Getting back to wigs, which is the topic, there are many reasons why I have come to enjoy wigs. Here are a few -
Perhaps herfortshire can give me some directions.

I noticed that in my neck of woods as well. There are so many medical Anti-Aging clinics manned by Medical Doctors. They are advertising their services like crazy, and their prices are even crazier. The cheapest clinic is one run by a SKorean dermatologist but without a local license to practise as an M.D. Even then just look at his prices, a treatment of 7 to 10 sessions will amount to over a thousand dollars.

Most of these clinics offer "Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) Therapy for Hair Loss Treatments", like this one here:
https://everyoungmed.com/en/hair-loss-treatments

Old 03-02-2020, 05:24 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I have not read everything, but here’s my $.02.

I had cancer 11 years ago, so I have 2 wigs. When I lost my hair, I bought them, but only really wore one. I received many compliments on it, and I feel pretty sure that nobody knew it was a wig unless I told them (which I did, because I’m that way).

The wig let me be out and about without everyone knowing “oh poor baby has cancer”. This being said, I don’t know why any woman would wear a wig if they had hair. Wigs are hot, and wigs cost money.

Today, I went to a grocery store and noticed that the black women cashier was wearing a wig. She looked nice, and the wig was flattering, but I wondered..why? What was wrong with her natural hair?

It seems like many black women wear wigs because they don’t want to deal with their own hair, or they don’t think their hair looks good enough.

I would never wear a wig unless i was bald for a medical reason.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:22 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
So I dare to say that you have no idea what women spent and spend on hair and nails. When was the last time you have been in a license required supply store?
1) You accuse me of having no idea about something ...when you're not even responding to what I was talking about. The post you quote says nothing about hair and nails.

2) The original comments (made by someone else) which I was referencing were about cosmetic surgery, facial/botox/or other surgery -- NOT what women spent and spend on hair and nails.

So please get you train of thought together before saying I have no idea about something.

Quote:
When it comes to female shapes - when was the last time you looked?
So are you disputing something I said?

1) It's not even clear what the heck you're talking about.
But, 2), IF you're referring to my comment about AA not needing certain procedures....are you denying AA women tend to have fuller lips and hips than other populations groups. A generalization, to be sure, but let's be real. It's not AA who tend to have fat injections in their lips to get a pouty look....they already have fuller lips. In general, it's not AA women who have fat sucked from one area and put in their butts. THEY have the original Kim Kardashian and JLo butts.

3) Might I suggest that before you question whether others know what they're talking about, how about you read and understand their post, and get clear on what they said and didn't say before making some accusatory comment that's not even about what they were discussing.

Quote:
As a group, they age more slowly than white women. So, age related cosmetic surgery, is not popular, because it's not needed.
It's certainly not needed or used as much. Thank you, Sheena12

Now..... back to the original topic.....hair.

Last edited by selhars; 03-02-2020 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty