Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 07:04 AM

155 posts, read 86,181 times

Advertisements

One of my girl friends is insisting we go to the nail salon. I typically never go. Haven't since I was a child. She thinks it'll be relaxing and fun to have mani pedi's. I've been under a lot of stress lately.

I'm super self conscious to go though because I have horrible nails. I have a nervous system condition that attacks my nails and hair. My toe nails die constantly, falling off in chunks. They aren't great. But currently I do have all my toe nails. But some are really short from severe dead breakage and look horrible.

My finger nails are short stubs from breakage. I have no cuticle growth on my thumbs due to my condition so my thumbs are actually rippled in texture. The nail is bumpy. They are horrible and I don't want anyone seeing them or touching them because I'm embarrassed. My girl friend insists they paint short nails and fix bad nails all the time. But I'm having some anxiety over them having to deal with my nails. Any advice? Is she right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 07:15 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amkxoxo View Post
One of my girl friends is insisting we go to the nail salon. I typically never go. Haven't since I was a child. She thinks it'll be relaxing and fun to have mani pedi's. I've been under a lot of stress lately.

I'm super self conscious to go though because I have horrible nails. I have a nervous system condition that attacks my nails and hair. My toe nails die constantly, falling off in chunks. They aren't great. But currently I do have all my toe nails. But some are really short from severe dead breakage and look horrible.

My finger nails are short stubs from breakage. I have no cuticle growth on my thumbs due to my condition so my thumbs are actually rippled in texture. The nail is bumpy. They are horrible and I don't want anyone seeing them or touching them because I'm embarrassed. My girl friend insists they paint short nails and fix bad nails all the time. But I'm having some anxiety over them having to deal with my nails. Any advice? Is she right?
So you're saying you've described all this ^^^ to your friend, but she still "insists" that you go??? She's not being very considerate.

Sure, manicurists have probably seen it all, but that's not the issue here. It's time to stand up for yourself and let your friend know you appreciate the invite but you won't be going because the procedure isn't enjoyable to you.

Then suggest an alternate activity the two of you can do that won't make you question yourself.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:23 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
^This. My first thought was, she doesn't have anyone else who can go with her? She thinks there is something wrong with going by herself?

Some people might tell you not to feel bad about yourself and just go, and I agree that you shouldn't feel bad about yourself, but, this not only is something you wouldn't really enjoy, but would also make you feel highly uncomfortable.

The other thing is that your nails may have issues that make a manicure difficult-- if you don't have much in the way of nails, it will be hard for them to file, paint, etc. (I've never had one so I don't know all of what's involved.) And if you have damaged skin around your nails, it may not be that healthy to have them messing with your cuticles further and such. I know I've heard some stories of people concerned about how well-cleaned the tools are, or that some manicurists are a bit rough with pushing cuticles back and such, to the point that I've heard of people who've had pain or even bleeding. (I don't know how common the bad experiences are, so I don't want to fear-monger, and I'm sure most people have a good experience, but, it's still something to consider if you already have bad skin in that area and you don't know how the particular manicurist will be as far as being gentle and such.)

Old 02-29-2020, 09:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,666,970 times
Just refuse. I never get manicures. My nails are just too weak and get worse if I have a manicure because the chemicals they use on my nails just makes them even more weak/dry.

My toenails are in horrible shape now as well and I have been waiting for them to grow out for about 6 months, so I have also been refusing to do that. Getting polish on them doesn’t help them grow. I can attest to K12144’s comment about some techs being really harsh on the cuticles, making you bleed. I have not had that often, but if you have issues with your skin already, that is definitely NOT something you would want to do.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:39 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,238,953 times
Oh wow, I'm sorry...your friend really should be more considerate. Can you suggest a spa type day instead of days? Massage and facial, if that's your thing, instead?

Old 03-01-2020, 05:52 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,123,159 times
Or, she might think it could help you?

Old 03-01-2020, 06:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,320,351 times
I would save that money for essential nutrients for hair, skin and nails.
What to Eat for Healthy Hair, Skin and Nails | EatingWell

Old 03-01-2020, 09:17 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Or, she might think it could help you?
That's not for the friend to decide... once OP says "No, I really don't think so," that should be the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
I would save that money for essential nutrients for hair, skin and nails.
What to Eat for Healthy Hair, Skin and Nails | EatingWell
Per the OP:
Quote:
OI have a nervous system condition that attacks my nails and hair.
It's not as simple as "you must not be eating right." Can we address the question OP is asking, rather than taking a side trip in assuming something is lacking in her personal habits?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:54 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:

Good grief, tell her no. Suggest she treat you to a massage or afternoon tea.

If you have a nervous system condition that attacks your hair and nails, getting a mani-pedi is unlikely to help and might make the situation worse.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:03 PM

3,141 posts, read 1,596,724 times
Quote:

Her intentions may be good but she would have no way of knowing if the nail salon is equipped to handle your condition. If they can't, it will increase your stress and possibly affect your health.

My daughter had very short stubby nails, from nail biting and used to get acrylic nails. She ended up with a fingernail fungus from the salon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty