Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 04:40 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I'm with you ladies on keeping up the hair and manicure routines, but my biggest concern is---

Getting my dog's nails trimmed!

She used to go to the groomers once a month for the "full package" bath, ears, fur trim, etc, etc which also included nail trim. Her claws grow very quickly and are sharp! We just got them trimmed at another groomer who fit her in before all this happened. They are quickly growing out. The claws are sharp and hurt us, but even more concerning is "dew claw". The claws were just about to go into her front paw pad when we had them trimmed the last time.

Guess us ladies aren't the only ones who need our spa days
Might be something in the Pet forum? I used to trim both dog and cat nails (but my mother in a distant state needs her birds nails trimmed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times
GASP - we all/some might have white/silver/gray roots - better to be above ground than not

Old 03-28-2020, 06:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 944,713 times
Haircut and massage are the primary things I'm going to be missing.

I have short hair, and although I do own a pair of stylist scissors, I don't really trust myself or my spouse to cut my hair. My spouse and son are going to be looking pretty scruffy eventually too.

I have a monthly membership at a massage location. What started years ago as a guilty pleasure luxury has morphed into a near-necessity - I've noticed the therapists are working harder on my muscles in recent months, and I've been getting more indirect advice couched as questions ("do you see a chiropractor?" "how often do you stretch?" "is your workspace ergonomically comfortable?" "are you stressed?") My neck and shoulders are going to be an absolute mess by the time I'm able to go in next.

Mani/pedis are usually just for special events, and since there are none of those coming up, that's a moot point right now.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:14 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Thanks to everyone who agrees with my post. Thank you for the generous reputation comments.

Last I checked we are on a sub-forum dedicated to "Fashion and Beauty", which, by definition; is a somewhat superficial subject. My post was not about the horrors of COVID-19. There are places for that. This is not one of them.

My husband and I are both in several high risk groups. It is rather frightening. Many of the things that I once did to reduce stress, and to feel good, are no longer available to me. Or to anyone who avails themselves of these endeavors and activities.

Anyone who is against the reliance and enjoyment of facials, pedicures, manicures, and massages, may not be on the right sub fora. They may be trolls.

If you hate a topic, and just want to argue about it and accuse people of, in this case, self indulgence, is seeking confrontation.
I came here to commiserate with others. Not to defend myself. I refuse to do that.

The same goes for women who are above 40, and have decided to go grey. That is a personal choice. Your choice, not mine. It's not a right of passage or a path to enlightenment. It's a way to look that some people find appealing. It is not a sociopolitical statement.

I will never judge women who choose to go grey, and they will probably not know how I feel about their hair - unless we are close, and my real and honest opinion is requested. Either way, I'd deliver my opinion in a polite and gentle manner.

Some people appear to have a touch of cabin fever. I am not here to pick on others choices. I am here to have social interaction, which is hard to come by in these uncertain times.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:16 AM

2,527 posts, read 2,775,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ok, I'm with you ladies on keeping up the hair and manicure routines, but my biggest concern is---

Getting my dog's nails trimmed!

She used to go to the groomers once a month for the "full package" bath, ears, fur trim, etc, etc which also included nail trim. Her claws grow very quickly and are sharp! We just got them trimmed at another groomer who fit her in before all this happened. They are quickly growing out. The claws are sharp and hurt us, but even more concerning is "dew claw". The claws were just about to go into her front paw pad when we had them trimmed the last time.

Guess us ladies aren't the only ones who need our spa days
Your vet can do her nails. They are considered an Essential Service so will be open. My vets will even have an assistant come to your car to take your dog into the office, do the service, and bring it back to you so you don't have to be in the waiting room.

As for grooming myself . . . I do my nails myself so that's not a problem. It's the hair. I was due for a trim the day after the stay at home order went into effect. Oh well. At least it's a mid-length bob so should grow out fairly well, once it gets long enough to pull back or put up. Those aren't my most flattering "do's" but at least I'm still here. Once this is over there will be plenty of time to get tuned up.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM

50,341 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Seriously, as the days and weeks go on, I do worry about how the nice Vietnamese family that runs my nail salon is doing.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:00 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Seriously, as the days and weeks go on, I do worry about how the nice Vietnamese family that runs my nail salon is doing.
Well if you had to close your salon then they should be able to qualify for unemployment.
Have called them and told them that ?

Old 03-29-2020, 02:50 PM

50,341 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well if you had to close your salon then they should be able to qualify for unemployment.
Have called them and told them that ?
No. They’re immigrants, not stupid.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:57 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Me too. I love my little couple

Old 03-30-2020, 01:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
My hair lady has a private salon so, last I checked, she's still operating. She got me in last week.

I don't spend money on mani/pedis. Just can't see it. Honestly it kind of creeps me out.

I'm good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty