Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:39 PM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

I never knew that some slob looking guy who didn't fit in on the disco dance floor decided to fight it in the US.
As I've already said - in Europe disco didn't have distinctly "Black" sound to it, ( speaking in American terms,) and although the LGBT community was making the inroads into the mainstream culture in the 80ies, it was much more subtle, and it was in no way attached specifically to the disco.
For example Boy George from the "Culture club" was gay, but his genre was not exactly disco.

With other words, in Europe during the 80ies the line between the "New Wave" and Euro Disco was much blurrier, because of all the artsy stuff, that dramatic, "being on stage" feel to it.

And that was reflected in the street fashions too, ( both for men and women,) that's why European look was somewhat different comparably to American 80ies.

I definitely liked it.
Isn't that crazy?!

You gotta be a real hater to pull a stunt like that!

To me, I just see it as a huge divide between people who love to dance vs people who don't or can't. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 10:09 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Isn't that crazy?!

You gotta be a real hater to pull a stunt like that!

To me, I just see it as a huge divide between people who love to dance vs people who don't or can't. lol

Well yeah...
If these folks could do it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf55gHK48VQ

...I don't see a point why/how disco was so *potentially destructive.*

I think that dance floor overall makes people to be more fit, to be more presentable, more sociable and so on.
Plus it's a fun place just to sit and watch the party going, if you are not willing to participate yourself.

Unless, of course, you are a hateful slob that feels threatened by it all for whatever reason.

Old 03-05-2021, 10:20 AM

40 posts, read 26,300 times
i was a teen those day's and what I liked those that day's are those big overkill furcoats and big hair in the 80"

Old 04-23-2021, 03:56 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,414 times
Neither was bad but I like 80s fashion better.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:18 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
70s had the best fashion. Got worse every decade after. Today we have guys wearing skinny jeans and man buns.
I love late 1960's to mid-1970's fashions.

So cool.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:11 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
In my opinion, the 80s had the worst fashion style but the other side of that was that the styles were fun, loud, and definitively self-expressive. You could wear anything, style your hair like anything, and still be "in" in some form or capacity. Matronly wear was in, juvenile looks were in, the rocker/emo looks were in, latin style was in, everything, every group, every culture, seemed to have a place in popular culture. It was not only expressed in the style but in the music. I don't think that's happened in any decade before or since.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:35 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
In my opinion, the 80s had the worst fashion style but the other side of that was that the styles were fun, loud, and definitively self-expressive. You could wear anything, style your hair like anything, and still be "in" in some form or capacity. Matronly wear was in, juvenile looks were in, the rocker/emo looks were in, latin style was in, everything, every group, every culture, seemed to have a place in popular culture. It was not only expressed in the style but in the music. I don't think that's happened in any decade before or since.
Wow, it sounds like I missed out on a major party! So tell me, by comparison, what was 70's fashion like?

Old 04-23-2021, 11:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Well yeah...
If these folks could do it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf55gHK48VQ
Wasn't that originally one of Little Richard's tunes?

Old 04-24-2021, 02:02 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, it sounds like I missed out on a major party! So tell me, by comparison, what was 70's fashion like?
I've never lived in any of these decades. It's just my opinion from observation.

Old 04-24-2021, 05:06 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I've never lived in any of these decades. It's just my opinion from observation.
The ‘70s: I recall flares, sideburns, and an explosion of polyester. Thin turtlenecks and vests, platform shoes, denim jackets and cut-offs. Hair seemed to be left uncut since the close trims of the mid-sixties. Then, silk shirts with big collars, baseball tees, and terry cloth. Horrid colonial patterns everywhere, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty