Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 06:12 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,737,640 times

Advertisements

Over the course of the long run?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 06:46 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
I'm almost 63.. and I can't tell you about the long run yet. But I started with a good routine about 4 yrs ago and it has definitely paid off thus far. For the past 2 yrs I get compliments all the time on my skin and I didn't used to (and most think I'm well under my actual age). As a teen in the 70s, I slept with makeup on all the time and that happened well into being married and dealing with kids. I smoked for a few decades, etc. I used whatever bar soap was in the bathroom and never used any moisturizers. Fortunately, my skin was still .. "ok" and not horrible like one might think with all that neglect. But now people are always asking me what I do/what I use, etc. I mentioned in another thread just recently that in the beginning of March I visited one of my daughters (out of state) for her bday and while attending her church we had stopped to chat with a woman I had never met before and she interrupted us to tell me what beautiful skin I had. This sort of thing happens frequently now whereas, it did not before. I will continue to keep my routine. Also, I don't start using anything on my face unless I have really done my homework on a product or ingredient. I don't want to waste my $$ or my efforts. I don't 'enjoy' taking care of my skin but I do enjoy reaping the benefits.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:10 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Skin is skin ... doesn't matter if it's male or female. And yes, having a skincare routine, even if minimal (regular and consistent cleansing and moisturizing), can have long term benefits.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Your skin will reflect the over all health of your insides. So taking care of yourself with rest, good food, water and some exercise will show on your face (as will the opposite habits).

The best skin care routine for men is to wash your face morning and night with a cleanser that is right for your skin. Be careful with what shaving products you choose.

As for applying any kind of products to the outside, that's mostly an expensive mental exercise to make you think you're doing something good for your skin, unless you have acne or dry patches that need attention.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, I'm a guy and my daily skin care consists of washing my face when I take a shower in the morning, in conjunction with shaving in the shower. Since it's impossible for me to run a controlled experiment wherein I make a genetically identical copy of myself (mitosis?) and subject the copy to the exact same environment, nutrition, sun exposure, etc., and subject the copy to a big complicated expensive routine using lots of lotions and potions that are heavily advertised (while I the original continue on with Ivory Soap and a Safety razor every morning), I guess it's impossible to answer your question, isn't it?

Old 04-14-2020, 09:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Your skin will reflect the over all health of your insides. So taking care of yourself with rest, good food, water and some exercise will show on your face (as will the opposite habits).

The best skin care routine for men is to wash your face morning and night with a cleanser that is right for your skin. Be careful with what shaving products you choose.
And wear sunscreen. Every day. Even if you're not outside for long.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:49 AM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Over the course of the long run?

It depends.
It depends on your age, your specific concerns and so on.
Overall I don't think that man's skin requires as much conditioning as woman's skin, because of a number of factors, starting from the young(er) age.

So for a man ( provided he is in a good health) somewhere in his forties, if the desired effect is to have a younger, more rested/refreshed look - yes, he might look into skin care products.
But then, again, as with women's skin, it's a not a question of bombarded advertisement, but a question of what product(s) REALLY work for every individual.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:12 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
For Sure.

I have been moisturizing at night since 21 years old.

Now 50 I use:
Face Serum
Eye Cream
Moisturizer

After a shower

On sunny days a sun screen face moisturizer of 35 or 50 protection.

It costs me roughly $100 a month but well worth it.

A lot of guys don't take care of their skin. DON'T be that guy.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:21 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
For Sure.

I have been moisturizing at night since 21 years old.

Now 50 I use:
Face Serum
Eye Cream
Moisturizer

After a shower

On sunny days a sun screen face moisturizer of 35 or 50 protection.

It costs me roughly $100 a month but well worth it.

A lot of guys don't take care of their skin. DON'T be that guy.

Question ( sorry) - are you straight or not?

The reason I am asking is because I don't know too many 21 year old guys who are into "skin care."

And if you have been using JUST moisturizer, what kind it was, and why did you decide to use it in the first place?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:42 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Question ( sorry) - are you straight or not?

The reason I am asking is because I don't know too many 21 year old guys who are into "skin care."
Skin care should have absolutely zero to do with sexual preference. Why perpetuate the stigma of straight men taking care of their skin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty