Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Hey...lol...I just remembered something.

I went into a consignment shop a while back, and they were having a sale on "90s styles." One thing they had a whole rack of, bodysuits. Those tops with the low cut front, long sleeves, and they went under your pants and snapped in the crotch? Ladies remember those?

I remember them being heinously uncomfortable, for a very specific reason, and it's the same reason I cannot imagine buying them second-hand. No more than I want anybody's secondhand underwear.

But they sure looked good. No doubt about it.

Love it! Bodysuits have been in style the past couple of yrs. I have a white one with a plunging neckline & ties that I used to wear with denim shorts & platformed greek sandals.....but I don't wear shorts as much since moving to the BA....

Ita about secondhand tho..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:44 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
You had *sewing* in high school tho...what year was that?
I have home economics in Junior HS. Seventh and eights grade. Yes, we had sewing. I really enjoyed it! I made culotte mini dress and mini skirt which I wore with a ribbed poor boy sweater with a keyhole opening and baby doll brown patent shoes with little heels.

That was junior HS. I liked learning to sew and wearing the clothes that I made.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:33 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
In the late Sixties DH had an earth-toned avocado three-piece corduroy suit he wore with matching wing tips and a paisley shirt. A splash of English Leather cologne. Oh my! Best dressed guy on the dance floor.
Oh gosh, my first husband wore English Leather. The smell puts me right back to the 60s.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
....from the 70's....Hip hugger jeans with a wide leather belt. Elephant leg jeans with the low rise, they had to be the four snap closure.....I've looked online to see if I could find them referenced, can't find. Halter tops, overalls.

Clogs, the ones made in Denmark. That company still makes some of the exact same styles as they did back then. I happened upon a store that sold them a few years ago. I still have the last pair I purchased in the 70's for some reason I can't get rid of them. They don't really fit because my foot is a bit bigger now.

Old 04-26-2020, 06:18 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,463,639 times
I don’t know if this was just an upstate NY thing, but we had a chain of stores called Barbara Moss. Very preppy, feminine genial clothing. I specifically remember the floral skirts that ended just above the knees. It was one of my favorite stores.

ETA- this was the mid-late 90s, before they changed to B. Moss

Old 04-26-2020, 06:37 AM

383 posts, read 384,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smpliving View Post
I graduated HS in 1975 in Southern California. Sundresses with platform sandals. Embroidered peasant tops with bell bottoms, short skirts or shorts.
I graduated from HS in SoCal too, but in 1980. I loved Dittos and Chemin De Fer button up jeans and all the colorful Candies heels!

Old 04-26-2020, 12:28 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I was in high school in the mid 70s. I liked the emphasis on natural fabrics and colors (although I embraced the neons of the 80s just as much), peasant tops and skirts, cuffed jeans and blouses, and cowl neck sweaters.

One of my favorite outfits was a red cowl neck sweater, a muslin blouse with a red and yellow flower print over top, and jeans.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
highschool 1967---------Bobbie brooks wool plaid pleated skirts with a big safety pin on the front/side. Knee socks with long sleeve blouse under a matching wool blazer.

Also could not wear to school but wore everywhere- plaid wool shorts with knee highs and a mohair sweater.

Loafers without socks. Patterned pantihose and black tights were also in.
I *SO* badly wanted plaid wool shorts with knee highs (worn with Weejuns, of course) but my mother would not budge. "YOU'RE NOT WEARING SHORTS IN THE SNOW!!!" I pointed out that it certainly wasn't any different than wearing a knee-length skirt and knee highs, but she wouldn't budge. All the "cool girls" were wearing the shorts in December in the 60's....all but me...<sob>.

I did have a wardrobe of the HUGE fuzzy mohair sweaters (not to be mistaken for the nice soft angora sweaters) to wear with my pleated wool skirts. I just remember those mohair sweaters, because they were loosely-knit, stretching out and getting bigger and bigger until the sleeves were down to your knees.

Other big fads in my early high school years (I graduated in 1965) were "twist" shirts, long white or pastel blouses with ruffled sleeves and bottoms and usually ruffles down the front. De rigueur for doing the Twist at Friday-night sock hops. The other must-have was the Ben Casey Shirt (high-necked, off-center buttoned down shirts as worn by Ben Casey, M.D. in the then-popular TV series). The white or "medical green" colors were the most popular.

Old 04-27-2020, 02:54 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
I had zero fashion sense in high school. Hoodies, baggy jeans, and sneakers.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
What WAS my favorite is something I wouldn't wear today - cut off blue jean short shorts with frayed hem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty