Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 11:00 AM

4,885 posts, read 2,985,043 times

Advertisements

Hello,
For years I have struggled with these problems:
Blades going dull quickly, and causing ingrown hairs/facial bumps.

I have researched every review online, used every disposable razor recommended; they all fail.
I've even been using an electric before the blade, in an effort to get a close shave.
Speaking of electrics, these do give me a close shave; for 2 to 3 weeks; then the expensive heads need replacement.
If you can even find the replacements, since there are 100 or so manufacturers.
I've been checking the online reviews for electrics as well, the blades must be good steel; or they dull quickly.
I don't mind paying a lot for a good electric, but not if I continually have to replace the blades.

If you all would be so kind as to recommend one, it would be much appreciated.
Ladies, please chime in as well.
Thank you in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 12:59 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,398,876 times
The best shaving devices I purchased happened last year.

A double edge safety razor with disposable blades and a straight razor that uses disposable blades(shavette). www.abovethetie.com

I first shave with the double edged razor THEN I go over it again lightly with a straight razor picking up all the little hairs that the double edged razor misses. It gives me a straight razor shave without the time and risk involved with straight razors

Old 04-28-2020, 06:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,792,563 times
I've been mixing water with my shaving cream for decades. When I was young and started shaving I heard that it was good to shave right after you shower because your face was still wet. I was like, WHAT?! So I have always mixed water in with the cream first so I could shave before showering. I've noticed a big difference between doing that and NOT doing that. When I don't, then it's always a tough shave. I also use shaving cream with aloe or some kind of moisturizer, never just the plain shaving cream.

Also, start at the edges and work your way inwards towards the center because that is where your beard is tougher. Leaving the cream on longer to soften the beard is the reason.

Old 04-30-2020, 10:44 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,208,506 times
Personally, I always shave IN the shower. That way all the little hairs go down the drain instead of all over cabinet. I don't have any facial hair, so I just have to find the same spot in front of my ear, which is easy to do.

I have used the triple blade Gillette for years and it does pretty well, hard to cut yourself. If you want to shave closer but you'll have to be a bit more careful, use a regular old safety razor and double edge blades. I still use the one my stepfather gave me about 42 or 43 years ago. (Not the same blade!)

Old 04-30-2020, 10:53 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,002,998 times
This has always helped me:

Use a little lid or dish to soak the blades of your razor (I use a Mach III or Fusion) in 91% alcohol for about 10 minutes before shaving (i.e., while you're showering).

Then after shaving, soak it again for a couple minutes and then rinse and use compressed air to thoroughly dry the blades.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:04 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,792,563 times
Personally I don't see the advantage of waiting until you get into the shower to shave, versus diluting the cream. You also use a lot more water.

I rinse the blade in the sink so nothing gets "all over the cabinet". Honestly I don't even know what that means.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,492,105 times
I always liked the rotary shavers, and am presently using lithium battery Remington shavers. I have 2 because I misplaced one and later found it. As an early retiree, I find myself shaving on Wednesdays and Sundays.

But being quarantined, I find myself shaving less often. Blades are now lasting me a long time.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:43 PM

18,876 posts, read 27,319,253 times
Get good ol' fashion razor and priming belt. That will last you years. Also, nothing really shaves better than that. Get Zollingen, if you do not mind expense.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:56 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,398,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Get Zollingen, if you do not mind expense.
A town in the boondocks of France ?

Old 05-01-2020, 03:21 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,889,007 times
I bought my husband a braun series 7 790, wet and dry foil, with the cleaning station and he loves it. It was a bit pricey, but it works. He has sensitive skin and has tried everything. I also buy him the replacement heads and haven't had an issue with finding them.

I also bought him a viking chieftan safety razor along with the badger shaving brush and taylor of old bond street shaving cream.

He uses both. There is definitely a learning curve with the safety razor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty