Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 05:22 PM

7,305 posts, read 12,241,261 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this goes in the Fashion & Beauty forum or the Diet and Weight Loss forum, since this is about both gaining/losing weight as well as fashion.

Over the past year, I have lost a lot of weight that I think I might soon drop from an XXL to an XL.

I was wondering, do you have a certain feeling towards your favorite clothes when you gain or lose weight? I was able still find my favorite interlock polo in an XL still in stock on Amazon, so I decided I should order it in preparation for this drop in size. If I still don't fit in it right now, I can hold onto it until I fit. As for my other favorite styles, once I officially drop down to an XL I can look at eBay/Poshmark/Mercari to find those styles in an XL; one of them seems to be fairly readily available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM

UPDATE:

Well, I just tried on my new interlock polo shirt in a size XL, and to my surprise, it fit quite decently. However, I will hold onto it until I drop a few more pounds, since I want to account for shrinkage in the laundry.

While my other shirts will still fit, they will soon be a bit large. I will miss them. Hopefully I can find them again in an XL on eBay/Poshmark/Mercari when I officially reach that point for sure; some I know will be easier to find than others. I could perhaps replace them one by one when I find those styles.

So, have you had any feelings toward your favorite styles when you gained or lost weight?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:55 AM

13,264 posts, read 8,361,848 times
Op, certain articles of clothing are indicators of body changes. Yes it's normal when transistioning in body form to have that sense of ...gee to think I can (or can't ) wear that piece anymore. It's got its place in your life style/journey..

I currently have two sets of clothing as my figure expanded and is on the journey to decrease.
The breaking point was a formal dress . The zipper decided it wasn't going to budge until I removed the excessive blubber.
So yes...clothing has its attachment .
Here's wishing you a healthy weight whatever that maybe for you.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:57 AM

16,365 posts, read 12,351,506 times
Op, Not many people have the same kind of emotional attachment to clothing that you do.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM

173 posts, read 118,729 times
Clothing attachment? Sure, for many of us. Some items have happy memories and some not. I once bought a lovely scarf at a boutique where the clerk accused me of trying to steal it because I was standing near the exit door! I bought the scarf and for a couple years would not wear it because it reminded me of that nasty situation so I sold it on eBay. A few clothing items are kept for sentimental reasons but I try not to keep too many. Items in 3 different sizes get stores in totes--and there are way too many totes in my basement! My weight fluctuates so my clothing ranges from M to XL. Maybe it's time to read Marie Kondo's book again....

Old 06-01-2020, 08:23 PM

I do have a sentimental attachment to my favorite interlock polo (from Spring 2018), since it is a spiritual successor to one in the same color (from Spring 2015) that I loved that sadly got damaged by bleach. Amazon had a few Spring 2018 versions in XL still in stock which is the one I ordered. The Spring 2015 version has been much harder to find in unworn condition.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:19 PM

5,511 posts, read 8,712,750 times
I have no sentimental attachment to clothes that don't fit me because of changes in my weight. Badly fitting clothes are the Devil's playground. And they just don't look good. I was already slender but my weight has dropped about 10% since the Covid thing began. Stress depresses my appetite. I can't wait until the stay-in-place thing is over. I have a whole bunch of things piled in a corner to give away when the Goodwill and Salvation Army open up again.

Last edited by citylove101; 06-01-2020 at 09:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 07:46 PM

Just as an update, I decided to wear my new interlock polo in size XL today. Hopefully it doesn't shrink a lot. I normally hang dry my polos to prevent shrinkage.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:13 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,408,921 times
You are the definitive 'born again' fashionista! You have such a "personal relationship" with your wardrobe. Are you trying to 'convert' others too?

You are funny in a good way and tickled my levity synapses...

I have experienced feelings toward my wardrobe in my youth when I finally became mature and could fit standard sizing (for the most part). (When I became a 'man' I threw off childish clothes'). Generally, the feeling occurs when I get that perfect fit which is difficult in standardized off the rack type clothing. Subtle things like an ideal cut on certain clothing items does make me feel better. Sort of like a 'prosperity' sermon.

Sometimes I feel a need to divorce from my clothing and donate (goodwill) if they don't hold up well after a few washings. Sometimes I think the clothing has changed too much, and just has to 'find itself'.

Occasionally, I reflect on that wisdom that naked we are born and their is nothing we will take with us ..... but during a riot in today's age one can 'loot' whatever one wants!

Old 06-04-2020, 11:03 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,179,681 times
Like crying that I can't fit into all my beautiful clothes anymore and especially the older pieces because they just don't make quality like that anymore. And then I eat ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty