Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2020, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 553 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I'm looking for some skincare advise.
5 weeks ago I started using Dermologica, I decided wanted to start using higher quality products on my face and skin which the older I get the more I realize how important this is.
I was told when first starting a new product I may have some breakouts due to the face reacting to a new product, and hopefully doing some deep cleaning. And my 3rd week in my face began to breakout. Now 2 weeks after my face began to breakout it has increasingly gotten worse, not improved. Before I began using Dermologica I only had a few pimples here and there occasionally. What I did have were blackheads around my nose and lower lip. But now 5 weeks into good facial cleaning habits and using Dermologica my face is covered in acne.
My questions are, is this a normal reaction for people who start using a new product? If so, how long should I expect to have these breakouts? And lastly, should I continue using Dermologica or stop and see if my skin improves?

My daily skincare routine:
Mornings and Night:
- Special cleansing gel
- Toner
- Water based moisturizer
- SPF (not used at night)

Every third day I use Dermologica's exfoliant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 12:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Have you started using all of those new things at once? You may have to do an elimination diet of skincare stuff. Try one thing at a time until you determine which one is irritating to you. I think stop for now, and only introduce one product at a time. It seems like your skin hates something in there.

My skin is sensitive/not sensitive. Things that can set me off: sunscreens and moisturizers. Cleansers don't typically seem to be an issue for me, from a breakout perspective.

I have only used 2 dermalogica things - the oil cleanser and the exfoliator. I like the oil cleanser and keep it in my travel bag. I didn't want to use it for my daily option - too pricey. The exfoliator did nothing for me and I moved on to other stuff. My skin seems to be super happy with basically anything Korean or labeled clean at Sephora.

I don't typically breakout from new products, but I can get dry patches and irritation.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:58 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times
What is your skin type? If it's sensitive, it may be reacting badly to too many chemicals. For me, diet plays a bigger role than what I use on my face. I've found that eating clean, taking a DHT blocker, and keeping my skincare regime simple works best. I think all you need is a gentle cleanser, an exfoliant once a week, and a non-irritating moisturizer.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:48 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
5 weeks and you didn't stop using it when you saw your face had a bad reaction and was getting worse ?

I think you tried too many new things too soon and too often.

Go back to your old routine and let your face clear up.
THEN try the new stuff but only 1 at a time and only 1 time per day and see how your face reacts.

You are supposed to gradually introduce new products and see if your skin has a reaction,

Old 05-21-2020, 05:35 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Some new products will cause a “purge” that is normal. You can usually tell it is a purge because the breakouts will happen where you usually breakout. The purge is just your body increasing cell turnover and bringing all the bad stuff to the surface quicker than it would otherwise. If you normally get pimples on your chin and suddenly have 5 on your chin, then it might be a purge.

If you never get pimples on your nose and suddenly have 5 pimples there, then chances are that it is irritation. I know if I go on vacation, I get zits everywhere. On my back, face, you name it. Within about a week of going back to my regular regimen, my skin calms down. It is usually because I am using lots of products that are not familiar, all at one time.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:34 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,103,213 times
I tried this skincare line and it made my face break out horribly.
I now use Cetaphil Cleanser, clean and clear toner with 0/5% salicylic acid and CeraVe oil free moisturizer (AM/PM)

Old 05-27-2020, 09:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Tyr Ivory Soap and nothing else. No greases.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:48 AM

7 posts, read 3,745 times
It's very good to reasearch of anything before having it by exploring the world and asking people about those who have experince of using such stuff and products but I think the best thing to get proper recommendation from a dermotalogist ..

Old 06-12-2020, 04:42 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
I’ve used dermologica years ago and I use some products now. It’s hit or miss with a lot of their products for me. I check out their products first because they are gluten free but I don’t have much luck with them.

I used the pre-cleanse oil and special cleansing gel years ago. I’m not sure which product it was but I broke out horribly.
The micro-exfoliant didn’t do much for me.
I currently use the skin smoothing cream, which I love. It does smooth the skin; however, if I use in the morning, I’m an oil slick by mid-morning. I have combination skin, so it’s probably best for drier skin types. Or used only at night.
Age-smart multivitamin eye cream and mask - I don’t see any difference in my skin using these but I’m using them up because I paid for them. Funny thing, I’ve been using the eye cream for about a year now. I took their online skin assessment a couple of weeks ago and one of the results was that I have dark circles under my eyes
I just bought the prism moisturizer with spf. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m hopeful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty