Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 08:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,271 times

Advertisements

Yes. Granddaughter and I went for pedicures. It felt very safe. ALL customers and staff required to wear masks. Plastic shielding between customers and between pedicurists and customer. Stations sanitized between each customer. I thought it would be more stressful than it was. At least in this salon, I felt they took the virus and precautions seriously. (and our toes look great!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:20 AM

50 posts, read 30,560 times
Yes. I am a guy but still get regular manis/pedis. I was, by my own assessment, WAY overdue for both. I thought it probably best to call for an appointment, got one at opening time the next day (fine by me.) I saw lots of extra precautions - frequent cleaning, disposable liners in the foot bath part of the pedi chairs, customers at only every other station, 100% mask use by staff and customers. I’m glad I went.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
And those are good risk reducing practices. Not risk eliminating. Not going reduces my risk even more.

(I'm diabetic and I live alone with no family nearby, so there's no one to help care for me or monitor my condition if I get sick. So I'm definitely staying as safe as possible.)
That makes perfect sense.

Last edited by rfomd129; 06-09-2020 at 09:11 AM..

Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My acrylic nails had grown out so bad during the lockdown so I just kept filing them and buffing them until there was no more gel polish on them and the acrylics were thinner. Eventually the acrylics were gone. The reason I got them in the first place was due to deep ridges in my nails. I found some excellent ridge filler polish and use that, a base coat, a light colored polish & Hard As Nails. They feel much better and I'm saving around $100 a month. I know how to do my own manicure so it was a no brainer for me. Ditto for my pedicure; I always do a better job than the salons anyway.

I wonder how many other people who used to get their nails done have decided to stop doing it.
My 76 year old mother still does her own nails as she has done her entire life. Her mother lived through the Depression and rationing during WWII so the idea of being frugal even if you had the money was passed onto her and then onto me.

When my wife was younger she had her nails done by her grandmother; a woman who also lived through the Depression and who grew up with a similar understanding of economics. However, when she had passed my wife began going to a salon--she never learned to do her own nails. To be honest, it ticks me off at how much money this sort of thing costs even though we can afford it. But you know, can't argue with the wife and it's her thing.

However, she has asthma really bad, to the point where she gets bronchitis a few times a year and has had pneumonia so often she had lost count. Bluntly, her lungs are toast and she won't risk it. I know she will eventually go back, but likely no time soon.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:38 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I have decided I can manage without them. I am not going back in the near future. I am doing basic nail care myself.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:38 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Yes. I feel normal again with my claws, lol

Old 06-09-2020, 05:13 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Ive gotten my hair cut, but I’m overdue for a pedi. I will go next week, probably.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,761 times
I'm lucky because I have really pretty feet... wish it could spread to the rest of me!

But I and GF used to get regular mani-pedis and it was a bright spot for her because she doesn't move very well and.. oh, life shrinks.
Now we're ready to venture out as soon as I can make time to take her.
I am in the middle of a bathroom reno so that's a complication.. plus she hasn't been out except for doctors since March 3.
She has NO IDEA HOW THE WORLD STOPPED!

PS Our regular salon has ALWAYS used masks so it's not a big deal and I'm thankful for that.

Old 06-09-2020, 10:15 PM

71 posts, read 53,321 times
I've been to the nail salon twice and had my hair done. Both places required masks, temperatures taken, and personal info for contact tracing. I've also regularly gone to Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe's during the outbreak, and other places as they've reopened. I've never worn a mask at those other places. The virus is much smaller than the fabric on most masks so it will pass through all but the ones worn by the front line workers. Remember how at first they said masks were bad? Now they're good? I just wash my hands frequently and avoid touching my face. We sold our house in April and bought another and we had to look at houses, deal with realtors, closing agents, inspectors, repairmen, movers, etc. I even <gasp> shook hands with people. Oh the humanity!

It's amazing that I've survived.

Old 06-10-2020, 09:32 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
I've been getting texts from the nail salon. I took my teen for both hair and nails last week. The experience at the nail salon was the same as everyone else's. We had to make an advance appointment and wear masks. I dropped her off and did some grocery shopping during that time. Came home and washed my hands.

The hair experience was that they had to have an advance appointment and wear a mask to come in. Of course, it comes off during the process. I was iffy on the hair, but it was a brand new place within a short distance. It just opened and I don't want an empty strip mall there. They are pricey so I don't see us going back any time soon. I don't know if they will make it.

Last edited by Sarahsez; 06-10-2020 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty