U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
YAY 36 69.23%
NAY 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:09 AM

6,109 posts, read 7,049,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And we only wear loafers when we loaf?

We only wear tennis shoes when we play tennis?

We only wear cowboy boots when riding or roping?
You forgot to list basketball shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 AM

9,814 posts, read 8,602,516 times
I only wear Converse canvas "boat shoes". Those are my "fishing shoes" because I can wade in the creeks with them. Leather shoes are no good for wear around water. They should be kept dry. I never wear my Red Wing boots when fishing, always the Converse canvas shoes.
IMO, those things in the OP are not "boat shoes", they are a cross between a moccasin and a loafer. I would never buy them.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:19 AM

13,018 posts, read 14,471,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
A big Youtuber named "Alpha M" made several videos about how much he hates boat shoes and how supposedly women hate it so much.

I disagree with his viewpoint.

At the end of the day, women tend to be most attracted to confidence. Men can wear whatever we want as long as we wear it CONFIDENTLY and give masculine energy. I actually think that "Alpha M" is pretty feminine for being so caught-up in things like fashion; which is deemed as "girly" by most of society.

I'm a dude and I tend to dress "preppy" a lot (boat shoes, pastel shorts/polo's, vineyard vines, etc) and I do just fine with the ladies..
Dude, I just looked him up.

He looks like Patrick Dempsey on steroids. This guy's no alpha, he's more like a metrosexual poser. As a woman, I find him way too feminine. (I prefer a more rugged masculinity...)

He's not wrong though, boat shoes are pretty lame (at least in my age group and style preferences)

I would expect my dad to wear boat shoes, and that would be totally acceptable. (he is 70)

Old 06-18-2020, 07:10 AM

19,817 posts, read 24,981,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Nice, especially on a boat plus I'd rather see boat shoes on a guy with ugly toenails than flip flops.
Oh, I agree completely!

Men, well many men, are not known for the attention they pay to their feet. Past a certain age, this can be unsightly.

I grew up on Long Island NY spent time in New England, and now live in OH where every third person has a boat. We have one of the Great Lakes, and many other lakes. Boats and nautical culture are all popular here.

The original Sperry Topsider, just can't be beat - for men or women. When wet, they conform to your feet. Great for beach, lake boating etc.

Many men keep a pair for dressier occasions than boating. They look nice with shorts, khakis and jeans. To me, much better than sneakers/tennis shoes. or clod hopper running shoes.

Many are cool, also. Made with either nesh or canvas.

A classic look.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:22 AM

6,109 posts, read 7,049,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Oh, I agree completely!

Men, well many men, are not known for the attention they pay to their feet. Past a certain age, this can be unsightly.

I grew up on Long Island NY spent time in New England, and now live in OH where every third person has a boat. We have one of the Great Lakes, and many other lakes. Boats and nautical culture are all popular here.

The original Sperry Topsider, just can't be beat - for men or women. When wet, they conform to your feet. Great for beach, lake boating etc.

Many men keep a pair for dressier occasions than boating. They look nice with shorts, khakis and jeans. To me, much better than sneakers/tennis shoes. or clod hopper running shoes.

Many are cool, also. Made with either nesh or canvas.

A classic look.
"clod hopper" Now that's a phrase I haven't heard in the last 50 years. We use to call work boots, "clod hoppers" when I was a kid. I don't see the connection with running shoes however.

I have had this type of shoes before and this thread might cause me to buy another pair. The only problem with these shoes is once the leather string breaks, you can't replace it. I couldn't anyway, maybe a shoemaker can. I've thrown away several pair that still had wear because that leather string broke.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:28 AM

204 posts, read 57,114 times
Haha, it's supposed to be "YEA" instead of "YAY." Good to know.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 376,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Yay, as long as not accompanied with both socks and shorts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Boat shoes are great....just no socks.
I'll wear what pleases me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And why only of women?
The thread title through me off. I read it as "Ladies boat shoes on guys".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
with socks yes. any shoes with no socks.....YUK

If I'm wearing footwear whether sandals, shoes, sneakers, etc, socks are always worn.

I wear "fishing sandals". They can pass for sneakers with the right color socks.
This is similar to what I wear.
https://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/...0&op_sharpen=1

With a coordinating color they look like sneakers. But they feel much better.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:04 AM

4,075 posts, read 1,003,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post

Ladies, boat shoes on guys, YAY or NAY?

What's your take on this preppy staple?

IMO "preppy" is an old fashioned or worn out style........so NAY.

Slip on bahamas or something like it is more fashionable on a man for boating or a slip on sneaker with shorts or slim chinos. No boat shoes AND...no khakis!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 AM

5,713 posts, read 7,818,164 times
Sure, why not?

Old 06-18-2020, 02:11 PM

204 posts, read 57,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO "preppy" is an old fashioned or worn out style........so NAY.

Slip on bahamas or something like it is more fashionable on a man for boating or a slip on sneaker with shorts or slim chinos. No boat shoes AND...no khakis!

Oh then you would hate my style. I'm in my late 30s and I dress extremely preppy. Neckties, khakis, cardigans, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or