U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
YAY 36 69.23%
NAY 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 02:28 PM

4,068 posts, read 1,003,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Oh then you would hate my style. I'm in my late 30s and I dress extremely preppy. Neckties, khakis, cardigans, etc.

I love neckties & suits on a man......but ita I do really hate khakis & cardigans. Men wear chinos now.....khakis are out IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:00 PM

204 posts, read 57,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I love neckties & suits on a man......but ita I do really hate khakis & cardigans. Men wear chinos now.....khakis are out IMO.

I mean I wear chinos. I don't wear khakis, lol. I didn't know the different until googling.

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

27 posts, read 8,045 times
I would also say that there's different levels of preppy.

If preppy is overdone then it could look a bit overwhelming for a lot of people. If you overdo it then you would either end up looking like an old man; or even worse, the classic annoying 1980's spoiled douche whose lawyer daddy got him into an Ivy despite mediocre grades:

https://www.ties.com/blog/wp-content...eater-tied.jpg

But when done in moderation, it would be a tasteful, modern, affluent and youthful look:

https://d2w9m16hs9jc37.cloudfront.ne...9dc078b22c.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f7/61...674c01643f.jpg

Last edited by OceanDude; 06-19-2020 at 08:36 AM..

Old 06-19-2020, 07:40 AM

19,983 posts, read 12,184,825 times
Ewww, people out there actually still wear these nasty things?

Sure way to get dumped on a date or relationship. Guys, stay away please.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 AM

9,705 posts, read 7,312,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Ewww, people out there actually still wear these nasty things?

Sure way to get dumped on a date or relationship. Guys, stay away please.
If you're wearing a pair of five year old beer stained broken down boat shoes....then maybe but otherwise probably not.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDude View Post
I would also say that there's different levels of preppy.

If preppy is overdone then it could look a bit overwhelming for a lot of people. If you overdo it then you would end up looking like an old man; or even worse, the classic annoying 1980's spoiled douche whose daddy is a lawyer and got him into an Ivy despite mediocre grades:

But when done in moderation, it would be a tasteful, modern, affluent and youthful look

There aren't different levels of preppy IMO.....all of it is out of style. Even handsome & super smart lawyers that got into Ivy schools on their own & didn't have rich Ivy parents would look old & awful in it.

An affluent & modern fashionable look is sophisticated & sleek straight lines, for pants & shorts. Just say no to khakis, cardigans, preppy, AND boat shoes......

Old 06-19-2020, 10:50 AM

8,763 posts, read 7,699,463 times
Boat shoes are great looking casual shoes! I still like the preppy look. Khakis, too.

Much better than the sloppy look so many guys wear today.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Boat shoes are great looking casual shoes! I still like the preppy look. Khakis, too.

Much better than the sloppy look so many guys wear today.

BUT khakis are so much more sloppy looking & looser fit than chinos so that makes no sense. They are worn by older men....same with boat shoes.

The straighter lines & hidden stitching on chinos is better looking & more sophisticated on younger or professional men... IMO. It's more fashionable.

Old 06-23-2020, 08:11 AM

9,705 posts, read 7,312,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
BUT khakis are so much more sloppy looking & looser fit than chinos so that makes no sense. They are worn by older men....same with boat shoes.

The straighter lines & hidden stitching on chinos is better looking & more sophisticated on younger or professional men... IMO. It's more fashionable.
Khaki is a color.

You're referring to Men's dress pants/slacks. Slacks, or Chinos, can be Khaki, or navy blue, or red or charcoal gray or lime green.

If someone refers to "Khaki's" I figure they're likely wearing khaki colored Chinos, but not necesarily.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:02 AM

1,248 posts, read 301,301 times
I have been wearing boat shoes exclusively for the last 20-30 years. And they've been the same brand, model and color. I keep one set in new condition, one set in medium worn condition and one with paint and other substances that have dripped on them. I buy them online for $59.

But recently, I started wearing Sketchers pull on shoes with the elastomeric foam padding. I've found they only last 4-5 months, but can be bought for $45-50 online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or