U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
YAY 36 69.23%
NAY 16 30.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 AM

4,068 posts, read 1,003,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Khaki is a color.

You're referring to Men's dress pants/slacks. Slacks, or Chinos, can be Khaki, or navy blue, or red or charcoal gray or lime green.

If someone refers to "Khaki's" I figure they're likely wearing khaki colored Chinos, but not necesarily.

Nope. "Khakis" come in different colors too.... it's a style of pants & a color...the fashion industry talks about this difference because it's misunderstood a LOT. "Khakis" are looser fitting & they have the stitching exposed, just like jeans. They also are full pant length & it's a more casual look....with the old fashioned little flare of the pant leg. Chinos have the stitching inside....& they are lighter weight, but you can get them in a khaki color. They have a "pressed" look with straight lines & fit more closely to the leg ...more contemporary....& the fashionable chinos I'm talking about are ankle fit edit: so a guy can wear a more fashionable slip on sneaker instead of a boat shoe.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 06-23-2020 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 01:00 PM

9,705 posts, read 7,312,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Nope. "Khakis" come in different colors too.... it's a style of pants & a color...the fashion industry talks about this difference because it's misunderstood a LOT. "Khakis" are looser fitting & they have the stitching exposed, just like jeans. They also are full pant length & it's a more casual look....with the old fashioned little flare of the pant leg. Chinos have the stitching inside....& they are lighter weight, but you can get them in a khaki color. They have a "pressed" look with straight lines & fit more closely to the leg ...more contemporary....& the fashionable chinos I'm talking about are ankle fit edit: so a guy can wear a more fashionable slip on sneaker instead of a boat shoe.
I believe you are wrong.

Their initial inception was in Chino style cloth. British army troops adapted them as the soft, 100% cotton Khaki colored trousers were well adapted for tropical service; certainly better adapted than their traditional woolen uniforms.

After WW2, they gained popularity in the civilian world and became a staple of smart-casual dress codes.

Chinos refers to a fabric, and now refers to a style of trousers that are dressier than jeans, which is what the term "Khaki's" have come to refer to in modern parlance.

And while I am familiar with the style of pant that you insist is "Khaki's," never have I seen it in widespread wear by old men or anyone else; what you describe is a work pant, like a Mechanic or custodian might wear, not unlike painters pants. I've owned and shopped for those too, and never were they referred to as Khakis. They were pegged as work wear or very occasionally and recently as outdoor activewear like one might wear on a hike.

https://www.dockers.com/US/en_US/clo...it/p/844670000

The quintessential, stereotypical khaki:

https://www.dockers.com/US/en_US/clo...saAiTWEALw_wcB

In relaxed fit, more commonly what most refer to as old man khakis.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:22 PM

12,027 posts, read 15,639,475 times
Quote:
And while I am familiar with the style of pant that you insist is "Khaki's," never have I seen it in widespread wear by old men or anyone else; what you describe is a work pant, like a Mechanic or custodian might wear, not unlike painters pants. I've owned and shopped for those too, and never were they referred to as Khakis. They were pegged as work wear or very occasionally and recently as outdoor activewear like one might wear on a hike.
Like Dickies? https://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants/?sz=60
I find it odd if that style is now considered more 'fashionable' than khakis, it has long been associated with physical labor as opposed to office wear.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:37 PM

^^AND I know I'm not.........look at any fashion source that explains the difference anywhere.......it's a super common mistake among older people or people that are not into a more contemporary fashion or style.

BUT.....I love my man to wear Chinos....it's a straighter & sleeker fit cause of the interior stitching & I love the look of the ankle cut. They look more stylish & dressier...but still casual. No Dockers or Khakis. No boat shoes.....much sexier IMO.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:22 AM

9,705 posts, read 7,312,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Like Dickies? https://www.dickies.com/mens-clothing/mens-pants/?sz=60
I find it odd if that style is now considered more 'fashionable' than khakis, it has long been associated with physical labor as opposed to office wear.
I don't think that they (work pants) are more "fashionable" than khaki's...they are fashionable for those that need work pants I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
^^AND I know I'm not.........look at any fashion source that explains the difference anywhere.......it's a super common mistake among older people or people that are not into a more contemporary fashion or style.

BUT.....I love my man to wear Chinos....it's a straighter & sleeker fit cause of the interior stitching & I love the look of the ankle cut. They look more stylish & dressier...but still casual. No Dockers or Khakis. No boat shoes.....much sexier IMO.
Chinos are more slimming, they aren't inherently dressier. They certainly are more fashionable. But I'm arguing with someone advocating wearing a slip on sneaker so our opinions are certainly clouding our arguments.

You did get me curious enough to go look through my closet, the one pair of what I'd refer to as khaki's had interior stitching.

I don't know that I've ever seen exterior stitching on pants that have pleats and cuffs, which is how I'd differentiate Khakis from Chinos. The pleats and the cuffs and pocket are what give it the "fuddy duddy" type of look.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I don't think that they (work pants) are more "fashionable" than khaki's...they are fashionable for those that need work pants I suppose.

Chinos are more slimming, they aren't inherently dressier. They certainly are more fashionable. But I'm arguing with someone advocating wearing a slip on sneaker so our opinions are certainly clouding our arguments.

Chinos aren't slimming.....but a sleeker FIT...the more contemporary look with the flat front & the straight leg...specially ankle... are only for men that are in better shape IMO & so lots of older men still wear khakis....it's a looser relaxed fit. AND slip on sneaker or shoe....it depends on where you are going. Slip on sleek sneaker to take the place of boat shoes on a boat......because boat shoes are ugly & out of style IMO & they are clunky. BUT...if they are dressing up......like dark chinos.....then a edit: slip on dressier shoe.... still with the sockless look.... is better IMO. BUT how many guys can go sockless with a dress shoe with khakis???

I only am saying what I love my man to wear & the thread asked. I really hate boat shoes.

Old Today, 06:35 AM

13,011 posts, read 14,471,416 times
Call "Khaki's" whatever you want, they are still the most generic looking pant out there and no man is winning any fashion shows in them. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or