U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

12,036 posts, read 15,651,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
It makes me feel good about myself. It's fun to accent my best features. There's no deep dark meaning, or a need to serve men. I like the way I feel. That's it.
You're still not getting to the absolute bottom. WHY does it make you feel good, why don't you feel just as good slathering mud on your face and walking out of the house? Why do you think it 'accents' your best features, why do you think it makes you look 'better'? There's no deep dark meaning, but there's a whole lot more to it than 'it makes me feel good'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:26 PM

19,818 posts, read 24,994,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That's still letting their thoughts and opinions control your actions though.
No it is NOT. It's called setting boundaries. What exactly is your psychological background?

Old 06-25-2020, 01:31 PM

19,818 posts, read 24,994,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
It makes me feel good about myself. It's fun to accent my best features. There's no deep dark meaning, or a need to serve men. I like the way I feel. That's it.
And THIS ^^^^^.

Also DubbleTT, it's an ancient Anthropological practice. Women have been doing this since ancient times, across cultures.

You are not hear to learn though, you are here to fight for the sake of fighting.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 PM

12,036 posts, read 15,651,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No it is NOT. It's called setting boundaries. What exactly is your psychological background?
None, but I don't need one to realize that reacting in opposition or defiance is still reacting. If someone has no control over me I don't react to their thoughts or opinions.
I understand the difference. When someone tailgates me in traffic I can react by slowing down to **** them off, or I can choose not to react and simply keep doing what I was doing before they started tailgating, which one puts me in the position of not letting someone else affect/control me?

Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 PM

4,094 posts, read 1,011,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Because women have been taught for centuries (by men seeking to control them) that their only value is in their appearance and sexual desirability to males; and that the only kind of beauty is that of the late-adolescent girl.

IMO controlling men are insecure & they don't want women to wear makeup or look attractive.......they call them demeaning names if they do wear it. AND other women that pick at us for wearing it are insecure too IMO. They aren't happy just not wearing it themselves....they gotta be judgy like they know what's best for all of us.

AND...it's 2020 for pete's sakes.....desire goes both ways. Looking like an adolescent has NOTHING to do with wearing makeup.....

Old 06-25-2020, 01:39 PM

7,730 posts, read 3,648,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO controlling men are insecure & they don't want women to wear makeup or look attractive.......they call them demeaning names if they do wear it. AND other women that pick at us for wearing it are insecure too IMO. They aren't happy just not wearing it themselves....they gotta be judgy like they know what's best for all of us.

AND...it's 2020 for pete's sakes.....desire goes both ways. Looking like an adolescent has NOTHING to do with wearing makeup.....
The deeply ingrained social and cultural behaviors I'm talking about don't change because "it's 2020 for pete's sake". I'm talking about ways of thinking and behaving that are based on a time when there was no birth control, when the disparity in physical strength between women and men meant a great deal, when death from childbirth meant women's life expectancy was far lower than men's. Do you REALLY think that the last 100 years of change are going to wipe out the programming of the previous 100,000 years of human history?

Old 06-25-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The deeply ingrained social and cultural behaviors I'm talking about don't change because "it's 2020 for pete's sake".

Ofc they have changed....or there wouldn't be women that don't wear makeup...or men that do. AND we still wouldn't be allowed to vote....or work outside the home. It IS 2020 for pete's sakes....be you.......don't tell other ppl how to be you.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:01 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,119,454 times
Perhaps it's done in part, out of a sense of personal aesthetics. I would compare it to knowing what art you like, or what colors you like.
And you can have the tools to please yourself aesthetically, so you use them.

That's true for some people, maybe not all.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:17 PM

23,933 posts, read 25,872,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Because it goes deeper than that. WHY does it please them? What's behind that?
Why does it please some men to grow a beard? Or shave their head? It"s a personal expression, no more, no less.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Look for a woman who's appearance you like OP, and then proceed to shut the hell up.

^^Love this. AND it works for us too...it's like if we fell for a man with a beard....AND then told him to shave it off cause we don't like beards....or told him we don't like how he dresses. We knew all that when we met him.........just like men know if we wear makeup or not when they meet us.

Don't try to change anybody & don't let them change you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or