U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 03:59 PM

2,872 posts, read 913,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
You might think a lot of women are makeup free when in fact they are wearing makeup. Not everyone wears a palette of eyeshadow, lipstick or blush
And some people wear makeup to look "normal"-- maybe they have pale eyelashes and need mascara to look like they have eyelashes at all. Maybe they have pale skin and would look ill without a bit of blush and/or lipstick. Or perhaps they have blotchy or scarred skin that is covered by foundation to look more even. There are literally some people who look "healthy" because they are wearing makeup. Everyone else would just think they look ordinary-- and if the makeup came off, they'd constantly be hearing "Are you okay?" and "you look tired."

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I guess I am jealous since my blooming rose days are decades behind me!
And some people never had them to begin with, at any age.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 04:35 PM

6,045 posts, read 3,231,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes the first example is disingenuous because this is an image of Manuela mosca , an Instagram influencer who is a model and fashion designer with her own boutique . She is not your average person walking around, she glams up FOR selfies FOR Instagram and is professionally photographed and some shots are airbrushed.
I am candid (not disingenuous) for calling out that very "glamming up" as looking very phony, and an example of what men mean when they talk about women who look "greasy and who would ruin their bed sheets.

While I did not know who Manuela Mosca is when I found the picture I posted (and why would I know or care?), a simple image search has just brought up even more examples of her artificial looks. I don't care why she is doing it, I just pointed out the picture I found as an example of overdone makeup.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:37 PM

337 posts, read 73,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I am candid (not disingenuous) for calling out that very "glamming up" as looking very phony, and an example of what men mean when they talk about women who look "greasy and who would ruin their bed sheets.

While I did not know who Manuela Mosca is when I found the picture I posted (and why would I know or care?), a simple image search has just brought up even more examples of her artificial looks. I don't care why she is doing it, I just pointed out the picture I found as an example of overdone makeup.
I didn't know who she was as well, nor do I follow influencers or have an instagram account.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:56 PM

4,292 posts, read 2,144,492 times
Quote:

Had you picked a photo of someone whose job doesn’t relate to being an influencer and model I’d give you more credit, but you didn’t. Of course she looks artificial, she’s an entertainer and model whose images are meant to be over The top Hardly representative of the average woman .

Old 06-23-2020, 05:10 PM

6,045 posts, read 3,231,059 times
Quote:
Had you picked a photo of someone whose job doesn’t relate to being an influencer and model I’d give you more credit, but you didn’t. Of course she looks artificial, she’s an entertainer and model whose images are meant to be over The top Hardly representative of the average woman .
How was I supposed to know who she was? I searched using adjectives to locate someone whose lipstick and mascara were overdone (I don't recall what words) and that picture came up. I've seen that phony look before though, such as when YouTube presents makeup tutorials when I'm simply trying to locate a favored brand and color of lipstick, for example. My husband and I have actually had some good laughs over them.

Does she consider that she looks artificial? Is artificial what she is actually going for? I don't think so.
I think she put up a photo where she thinks she looks pretty.

To me and to my husband, she doesn't.

I think we're done here. I know I am.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:28 PM

4,899 posts, read 1,208,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

It is media and the belief they are not pretty girls and that the only way to be pretty is to use makeup because that is what they are taught by fashion and other girls. If the media would honor those with a natural look that is what the girls will do. Women judge each other negatively for being "plain".

AND you are judging us if we want to wear makeup by saying that we don't think we're pretty. Why would I care what other women decide to do tho....?

I don't wear makeup to please the media.........I wear it because I want to. The same reason I love fashion or getting dressed up sometimes. The only people we need to please IMO....after ourselves.....is our men or significant others. Nobody else has a say.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:37 PM

9,132 posts, read 5,055,259 times
I don’t need make up... I’ve got big boobs!

Old 06-23-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
How was I supposed to know who she was? I searched using adjectives to locate someone whose lipstick and mascara were overdone (I don't recall what words) and that picture came up. I've seen that phony look before though, such as when YouTube presents makeup tutorials when I'm simply trying to locate a favored brand and color of lipstick, for example. My husband and I have actually had some good laughs over them.

Does she consider that she looks artificial? Is artificial what she is actually going for? I don't think so.
I think she put up a photo where she thinks she looks pretty.

To me and to my husband, she doesn't.

I think we're done here. I know I am.
You obviously didn’t check her Instagram account, she is hawking products, make up. She is not your average woman out in public.

Old 06-23-2020, 05:58 PM

337 posts, read 73,074 times
Quote:
You obviously didn’t check her Instagram account, she is hawking products, make up. She is not your average woman out in public.
Who cares. It was an example. I got the comparison, that's all that it was. I know woman who wear that much makeup/have false eyelashes and do it that way. Does it really matter that she is public person who does it for a living?

Old 06-23-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
Who cares. It was an example. I got the comparison, that's all that it was. I know woman who wear that much makeup/have false eyelashes and do it that way. Does it really matter that she is public person who does it for a living?

Partly yes, but in the end why does it matter what any woman chooses to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or