Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:59 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,396,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
Pure genius!

And DITTO!!! LOL

I wear make up because I want to. The End.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Amen! Why do men think they can tell women how to do their makeup and why do women think they can tell men about mustache/beard/etc.?
Our outward appearance is all about how other people see us, not ourselves.

Granted I don't do so for anyone in particular, but the effort taken to use/apply make-up isn't about the self.

I guess people here are right when they say 'work' goes into creating a natural look, but why should it be used to undermine one's own features.

For me if a woman isn't attractive, makeup doesn't change that, all it does is make them look more like a prop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,139,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Literally every time I've had a guy point out an example of a woman who supposedly looks so great, because she's "not wearing makeup," Um...yeah... she's wearing makeup. She just doesn't look like a drag queen or a Kardashian.
This exactly. Most women wear makeup to cover flaws and enhance. When it's done right, it seem not to be noticeable, but if that woman wore no makeup the difference would be very noticeable. What OP seems to be talking about are women who wear extreme levels of makeup that look bad.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 PM

10,862 posts, read 7,281,971 times
Fashion, trends, peer pressure.

Just like neckties, nylons, and buying a fancy new car.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,452,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.
Women don't have to justify their actions to you. You won't find any answer satisfactory. Learn to live with the unsatisfactory answers.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:45 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,349,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Why do women wear makeup?

At it's most basic level make up is meant to subtlety mimic a state of sexual readiness, the flush of blood that makes cheeks and lips brighter or fuller and marks arousal.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ok%20healthier.
Yes, I think there are both biological and sociological reasons.

The biological factor is, as you stated, a sexual mimicry to attract a mate, especially as one ages and the natural attributes fade.

I’ll add that people who regularly wear makeup (and nail polish) are probably less biologically sensitive to these products on their body. I myself have always disliked wearing makeup and nail polish because of a sensation of suffocation from the products. It feels like my skin or nails can’t breath and borders on feeling painful. (But Iwill wear it for special occasions for a few hours). And I’m super lazy.

The sociological + biological factor is because society deems attractive women more ‘worthy’ and of higher value. Look at advertising using attractive women (men, and kids too) to sell sometimes totally unrelated stuff from cars to dish soap to cigarettes. Attractiveness plays a role in all things human related, from personal relationships to jobs to power, so there is probably a deeply buried biological desire to look attractive.

Someone growing up inundated with such blatant and subliminal messaging, from folks in their lives to all forms of media, will attach a certain value to looking attractive, and makeup is one way to do it.

Most women (as men) derive pleasure in looking at pretty things, whether inanimate or living. Looking pretty gives them a sense of pleasure, whether through makeup, clothes or jewelry. And how you perceive yourself externally influences how you feel internally; if you look like a slob, you feel like a slob.

Removed from the influence of society, I wonder how many women would wear makeup if living on an isolated island?

Old 06-24-2020, 06:12 AM

16,388 posts, read 12,395,982 times
Quote:

Granted I don't do so for anyone in particular, but the effort taken to use/apply make-up isn't about the self.
You never look in a mirror? I maintain my outward appearance for myself. No one else. I don't care whether people like how I look.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,536,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
And if I want to think I'm pretty or not pretty... that's my prerogative, not for anyone else to tell me is wrong or right.

Ita....think or don't think you're pretty.......BUT don't tell the rest of us we wear makeup because we think we aren't pretty as another poster said.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:32 AM

5,431 posts, read 4,003,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree; when you're young, it seems like you wouldn't need it, because you already look great. (Unless you have acne.) But I see, that people have posted, that when done right, which means--sparingly, it can enhance your features, and help you stand out from a crowd of average faces. So...IDK. My feeling is, that it's not magic; it's not going to transform most women into great beauties.

HOWEVER, I've been surprised to see the websites of makeup artists in Russia, who have before/after pics of the typical middle-aged Slavic mom or young grandma (think: plump, plain/average). AMAZING transformations! (Not overdone.) So, maybe makeup is magic, when in the right hands...

Artistry!

That is the key word here. Pictures take into account filters, lenses, lighting. I have seen many women that you can tell they probably put on makeup in artificial light, and in the harsh light of day, it looks totally different. I remember being at a church supper and sitting across from a woman whose face looked like a paint by number. Highlight here, blush here, eye shadow to here. Fascinating but it wasn't doing her any favors. Like the "makeup tips" tell you, use lighter foundation down the center of your nose to minimize a large nose. But when you turn sideways, the cat's out of the bag.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:40 AM

29,691 posts, read 34,228,913 times
Quote:

I guess people here are right when they say 'work' goes into creating a natural look, but why should it be used to undermine one's own features.
It's absolutely about the self. When I look in the mirror and I put on some makeup, I'm presenting the self that I want other people to see.

Most women use cosmetics to enhance, not undermine, their own features. Not everyone has great skin or naturally beautiful features. I've got mild rosacea, so I use makeup to look less blotchy. Other people want their blonde lashes and brows to be more defined, or their thin lips to look plumper.

You don't get to decide how other people present themselves. Plenty of women don't wear makeup. Associate with them.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:44 PM

8,910 posts, read 6,204,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I used to wear makeup when I was younger, both in school and then in the workforce, but as I am blessed with a peaches and cream complexion and no blotches, I wear very little foundation as an adult (high school was different, but as it turns out, my wearing of foundation in high school helped preserve my skin from the sun).

In my opinion, lightly applied makeup, from eyebrow plumper, to a thin coat of dark mascara, some powdered blush, and then lipstick, usually brightens a woman's face. Subtlety is key.

However, the trend now seems to be thick, fake eyelashes, covered in globs of mascara, lipstick that does look like thick axle grease, and heavily contoured makeup. Many women who would otherwise be beautiful, look like clowns, in my opinion.

When I acted in plays we had to wear more makeup so that people in the audience could make out our features (men and women), but up close, it looks awful. Makeup that used to be worn for dark dance venues, is now seen up close and personal. Here's an example of a woman who's makeup makes her look fake. It gets in the way of seeing what she really looks like:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Here's makeup mostly done well (don't like the eyeshadow, though), on a gorgeous woman, who is not wearing fake eyelashes, and whose lipstick isn't applied thickly:

https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
The first example is ridiculous, I would never wear that much make-up. The second example is pretty close to what I would wear, although the eye liner is a bit dark.
As a guy reading this thread out of curiosity I have to say I agree with your judgement of those photos. The first one is hideous. I understand how some judiciously applied makeup can enhance someone's looks. I don't understand why prominent eyelashes are considered attractive and desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty