U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:47 PM

12,860 posts, read 3,804,678 times

Advertisements

I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 01:58 PM

2,695 posts, read 1,167,090 times
Same reason you paint your walls, wear colorful clothes.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:05 PM

4,312 posts, read 2,147,634 times
Oh here we go AGAIN with this

Why do men wax their balls, and shave their faces, wear a tie

Old 06-22-2020, 02:08 PM

4,986 posts, read 1,216,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm male, but I was having a conversation about this with others and the answers they gave weren't satisfactory.

On some occasions a get how it could help add blush to skin and cover a bruise or whatever, but beyond that (in my humble opinion) it turns into a clown show.

Every women I met has been more attractive to guys I know without lipstick or heavy eye shadow or whatever else there is.

I'm not saying everyone is a natural beauty, and brushing hair or making yourself clean is good, but at some level masking your face with dyes and paint becomes off putting.

I knew someone who was really cute, but when she dressed up and made herself up It became distasteful.

I get doing it if your in a theater play or something but most guys I speak to share my opinion that lipstick and whatnot detracts from a women's overall aesthetic.

Maybe the women you have known didn't know how to apply makeup......or applied too much....specially if they looked like they were in a play. The idea of makeup is to enhance our features tho ....not so that the 1st thing people see is the makeup. AND.....different occasions call for different looks. Most of us want a more natural look for every day or at work....& a more dramatic look for events or a night out.

If it's not your wife or Gf tho......why do you care if any of us wear make up & why ask the question? IMO it should be up to us what we do.....& not men....or that's super controlling.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:14 PM

8,691 posts, read 4,014,704 times
Consumptive Chic: A History of Beauty, Fashion, and Disease, Carolyn A. Day
On Women and Aging, Susan Sontag

Read these two and you will understand.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:09 PM

85,986 posts, read 79,159,832 times
Quote:

Well, the key words there must be "to the guys I know". Your opinion is in the minority on the Relationships forum. Also on the Bay Area forum and the Seattle forums. A lot of guys feel Seattle and San Francisco women are "ugly" because they don't wear makeup. They're not interested in "down to earth" and WISYWIG women, clearly. And for the record, I've never worn makeup. I'm just reporting, that a LOT of guys don't agree with you, and they tend to be very outspoken about it.

Women wear makeup for a variety of reasons. Teen and early 20-something women may wear it to cover up blemishes, as adolescence wreaks hormonal havoc with their skin. Older women may wear it in part to cover the visible effects of sun damage, by which I mean -- splotchy skin, discolorations. Some younger women wear it to look older, so they're taken seriously in a work context, or don't get treated like children going nuts with a parental credit card, when they go shopping. Some employers require it, in fact. They consider it a "professional" look, i.e. part of the corporate uniform.

Supposedly, the makeup industry has been cranking out "natural"-looking makeup, minimal-makeup makeup, for at least 20 years now, so I don't know why some women still seem to be caking it on. Which it does seem like they're doing, if you're able to notice it.

And some women wear it, because they're plain/average-looking, and they want to give their looks a boost. Others don't mind going around as-is.

Diff strokes for diff folks, I guess, OP. On both sides of the gender divide.

P.S. I've never heard anyone complain about just lipstick, though. I think it adds a little color, kind of brightens up the face a little, if the color is chosen well.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:19 PM

1,747 posts, read 889,274 times
Why do metrosexuals wear makeup?

Old 06-22-2020, 03:20 PM

12,869 posts, read 6,975,129 times
Quote:
Well let's start by dispelling the idea that women exist to look attractive to guys. Do some women wear makeup to attract the opposite sex? Sure. But that is not the reason for all women.

I don't wear makeup for anyone but myself. I enjoy the artistry of it. I like the polished look it gives me. I decorate my face, my hair, my body to express myself the same way I decorate my home. I'm not trying to cover anything (except for perhaps the dark circles that become increasingly apparent with age). Just enhancing what I have.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:25 PM

4,986 posts, read 1,216,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, the key words there must be "to the guys I know". Your opinion is in the minority on the Relationships forum. Also on the Bay Area forum and the Seattle forums. A lot of guys feel Seattle and San Francisco women are "ugly" because they don't wear makeup. They're not interested in "down to earth" and WISYWIG women, clearly.

Ita....I know more than a couple of guys in the BA that have said that.....not that those women are "ugly" BUT.....that they aren't super attractive. The same is true in SoCal. BUT...IMO... they DO want down to earth personalities & kindness tho.....just not "down to earth" or plain jane looks.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:45 PM

12,338 posts, read 15,919,339 times
Why do women wear makeup?

At it's most basic level make up is meant to subtlety mimic a state of sexual readiness, the flush of blood that makes cheeks and lips brighter or fuller and marks arousal.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ok%20healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or