U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

84,529 posts, read 77,694,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You know what they say, if you find something you REALLY like that's hard to find, get it in multiples, different colors, etc. How often do you do this & if you have, what was the item & why?

Overall throughout my life, I haven't really done this, but, I've done it a few times. The latest being w/ this top: https://www.nyandcompany.com/linen-l...-prod20060027/

I just love everything about it. The style that it's not just a plain top, the fabric's cool airiness, how it fits, & the fact that it comes in 10 colors is great! I got ALL the colors & even got a 2nd of a few colors because I know I'll wear them & in Southern CA where it's warm pretty year-round, I'll wear them often. My only concern is if they'll shrink in the dryer.
I got 3 of an item at a Nordstrom's once, on clearance; all hard-to-find colors, all my fave colors. The total purchase on clearance was less than the cost of one at full retail. And the salesperson ringing up the purchase lectured me about keeping my shopping "needs-based", as if I were a teenager running amok with my mother's credit card! Was she trying to discourage a sale? WTH?!

Even though I don't like online shopping, I can see there are some advantages. No strange or condescending salespeople to deal with...

On another note, when online shopping, I always read the reviews on an item before deciding to buy. There are always a few reviews that say, the purchaser bought the item in several colors. I always wonder, if those reviews were planted by store employees. Do that. many people really buy several of an item, that often? If the reviews are to be believed, it happens all the time. I don't know what to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

12,994 posts, read 14,467,865 times
I personally do not do this, mostly because I can very easily go overboard shopping. Too much splurging on myself doesn't always feel right, especially when I have other things and people to care for that come first.

That's just me though, I can totally understand why others do it.

Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM

4,068 posts, read 1,000,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I personally do not do this, mostly because I can very easily go overboard shopping. Too much splurging on myself doesn't always feel right, especially when I have other things and people to care for that come first.

If you have children....this totally makes sense IMO.....your lifestyle is probably completely different.

Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM

316 posts, read 35,212 times
I had a 91-year-old neighbor, good old Leonard, who bought three pairs of boots on super sale at Walmart and put two of them away for the future. That is the definition of an optimist. Alas, I don't think he wore out the first pair.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

122 posts, read 45,764 times
Shoes! My nemesis.
Years ago I bought two pair of super comfortable ones that I could wear and concrete for 12 hour days at work
Since they were super expensive I then went online and bought 10 pairs. What I thought was really odd though was that the black ones were not as comfortable as the navy ones or any other color.
More recently I have found a particular style of sketchers sandals. Wearing them daily They wear out very quickly.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

17,830 posts, read 22,306,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newberry Girl View Post
Hi Ladies,
I live in Newberry, FL.
When I clean out my closets I ususally just give it to Goodwill but today I am taking out really nice pieces (shirts, jackets, purses, couple of dresses) and I think I want to consign them instead. My problem is that all the consignment shops in Gainesville seem to be geared towards the younger/college-aged crowd. I have an upcoming eye doctors appt in Ocala and was thinking I could bring my items to Ocala and consign them there. Can you guys tell me if there are any nice clothing consignment shops there that cater to mature shoppers?

Thank you,
Karen
Try selling them on Posh Mark

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

10,515 posts, read 20,084,223 times
Back in the early '80s, there used to be these tee shirts made of slubby knit silk. Amazingly comfortable and in jewel colors. One of our semi-upscale shops, Liberty House, had them in their discount area so I bought a two or three dozen of them and have been wearing them ever since. I'd leave them in their packaging until one was worn out and then open a new one. I'm getting to the last of them now and I can't find a replacement for them or can't even find the fabric to make them.

Cotton gauze shorts are another 'go to' that isn't available anymore, but I can at least buy the fabric.

FWIW, fabric manufacturers change what they make. Not only just the colors, but the fabric itself. Which means if you find a fabric you really like, instead of just getting enough for the project at hand, buy the whole bolt. With these 'hard goods', they don't have an expiration date and the price isn't likely to drop if you wait to buy it later. Providing you can even find it later.

Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

11,114 posts, read 6,271,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You know what they say, if you find something you REALLY like that's hard to find, get it in multiples, different colors, etc. How often do you do this & if you have, what was the item & why?
Do this all the time...

My wardrobe is the same all year for simplicity and being frugal. I'm always wearing those pique short sleeve polos. At the end of the season, they drop in price to about 10-12 bucks a shirt.. good ones too. So I donate my the old ones that are wearing thin and buy 5-12 of different colors.

Pretty much everything in my wardrobe is done in the same manner... pants/cargos are a little harder to find at bottom dollar (good ones at least). When I do find them, I buy a bunch and donate my old ones.

Winter time, I layer up with sweaters and maybe an insulating vest underneath a coat. I have a few nicer shirts and pants but all are holiday gifts.

Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM

62 posts, read 5,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I got 3 of an item at a Nordstrom's once, on clearance; all hard-to-find colors, all my fave colors. The total purchase on clearance was less than the cost of one at full retail. And the salesperson ringing up the purchase lectured me about keeping my shopping "needs-based", as if I were a teenager running amok with my mother's credit card! Was she trying to discourage a sale? WTH?!

Even though I don't like online shopping, I can see there are some advantages. No strange or condescending salespeople to deal with...

On another note, when online shopping, I always read the reviews on an item before deciding to buy. There are always a few reviews that say, the purchaser bought the item in several colors. I always wonder, if those reviews were planted by store employees. Do that. many people really buy several of an item, that often? If the reviews are to be believed, it happens all the time. I don't know what to think.
Weird, I don't think Nordstrom would agree with a "salesman" telling you to not buy too much!

Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

7,781 posts, read 4,573,064 times
YES! I do this.

I am a *ahem* pudgy gal who has a hard time finding flattering clothes that fit and aren't fussy, and I found one dress that I love.

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/button-front-essential-dress/1006497.html

I wear these for work, play, around the house, everything. I've ordered at least one of every color. multiples of the black and navy that I wear a lot. And I order almost every new color they come out with as soon as they do.

They are wash and wear, they're both dressy and casual, they don't wrinkle if I'm in the car all day. I can wear them with boots or sneakers. I wear them most often unbuttoned at the top with a matching or contrasting tank top underneath. Or with a jacket or sweater over it. With just as many tank tops to choose from, I have a wide variety of combinations that work.

I've only had trouble with a few of the prints fading quickly in the wash... and they actually credited me for those when I complained. In general, the quality of the sewing and buttons and weight of the cotton is very good, not too hot for summer, not bulky under a sweater in winter. Good pockets that will fit my keys and phone so I don't need to carry a purse.

I admit I hoard them a bit.... but I like having a few brand new ones still in the bag waiting for a special occasion or new client meeting.

I don't know what I'd do if they discontinued this dress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty