U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 02:26 PM

13,017 posts, read 14,471,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
If you have children....this totally makes sense IMO.....your lifestyle is probably completely different.
I don't have kids, and it still makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 02:31 PM

4,084 posts, read 1,003,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I don't have kids, and it still makes sense.

Sry....I thought you did...cause you said you had other people to take care of that came 1st.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 PM

1,381 posts, read 677,464 times
Yes, if I love something I will buy multiple colors...favorite jeans, leggings, v neck t shirt, flats, etc.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:42 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,353,895 times
I’ve done this but for inexpensive basics I wear out a lot. (leggings, camis, or flats). For everything else, I would have too many clothes, since I keep my other clothes over a longer period of time.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:25 PM

1,116 posts, read 663,597 times
I am notorious for doing this, well at least when I went out and shopped.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:48 PM

9,732 posts, read 2,620,717 times
At 66, I do this all the time now, but not when I was younger. Sometimes, if it is a clearance online item, I will even buy three of the same top in the same color/pattern -- and most basic denim jeans (and black leggings) look pretty much alike, so if an item fits and is a good price, why not?. Another good thing about being retired and an introvert, is that I no longer feel the need to dress to impress.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:55 PM

84,548 posts, read 77,712,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
YES! I do this.

I am a *ahem* pudgy gal who has a hard time finding flattering clothes that fit and aren't fussy, and I found one dress that I love.

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/button-front-essential-dress/1006497.html

I wear these for work, play, around the house, everything. I've ordered at least one of every color. multiples of the black and navy that I wear a lot. And I order almost every new color they come out with as soon as they do.

They are wash and wear, they're both dressy and casual, they don't wrinkle if I'm in the car all day. I can wear them with boots or sneakers. I wear them most often unbuttoned at the top with a matching or contrasting tank top underneath. Or with a jacket or sweater over it. With just as many tank tops to choose from, I have a wide variety of combinations that work.

I've only had trouble with a few of the prints fading quickly in the wash... and they actually credited me for those when I complained. In general, the quality of the sewing and buttons and weight of the cotton is very good, not too hot for summer, not bulky under a sweater in winter. Good pockets that will fit my keys and phone so I don't need to carry a purse.

I admit I hoard them a bit.... but I like having a few brand new ones still in the bag waiting for a special occasion or new client meeting.

I don't know what I'd do if they discontinued this dress!
Cool. I love their color choices!

Old 06-24-2020, 07:39 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,942,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I bought 4 different V-neck tee shirts from NY & Company a few years ago. Within a few months they all developed tiny pinholes in the fabric.

But if I like something a lot, whether it be a top, shorts or shoes I will many times buy more than one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I don't want to go way off topic but over the past 25 years I've noticed a lot of boutique brands have thinner fabric and bad quality craftmanship....I spend more per item when I clothes shop but it's to find an item that will get through a year or two of regular wear, at the very least.

There's much to be said about checking season end clearances for clothes and pants/jeans.
Yeah, quality isn't the way it used to be. Fabrics are thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I got 3 of an item at a Nordstrom's once, on clearance; all hard-to-find colors, all my fave colors. The total purchase on clearance was less than the cost of one at full retail. And the salesperson ringing up the purchase lectured me about keeping my shopping "needs-based", as if I were a teenager running amok with my mother's credit card! Was she trying to discourage a sale? WTH?!

Even though I don't like online shopping, I can see there are some advantages. No strange or condescending salespeople to deal with...

On another note, when online shopping, I always read the reviews on an item before deciding to buy. There are always a few reviews that say, the purchaser bought the item in several colors. I always wonder, if those reviews were planted by store employees. Do that. many people really buy several of an item, that often? If the reviews are to be believed, it happens all the time. I don't know what to think.
Wow, I've never seen or heard of such a thing as what the salesperson & Nordstrom no less, did!

I read reviews too before buying online, especially to see if something runs big or small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
YES! I do this.

I am a *ahem* pudgy gal who has a hard time finding flattering clothes that fit and aren't fussy, and I found one dress that I love.

https://www.womanwithin.com/products/button-front-essential-dress/1006497.html...
I don't think I've ever seen that huge a variety of color/pattern choices for something in my life! Glad you're enjoying them!

Old 06-24-2020, 07:49 PM

7,790 posts, read 4,576,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't think I've ever seen that huge a variety of color/pattern choices for something in my life! Glad you're enjoying them!

Oh there's so many more I have that are not available any more... They change them out every couple months! They know how to keep me checking I think.

Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,137,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
After a bit of thinking, I've done this a little more often than I originally thought, especially w/ bottoms/jeans.

If I want cheap, colored jeans in a good variety of colors, the brand Celebrity Pink is it! $20-25

If I want mid-priced, fairly good-quality jeans, Diane Gilman aka DG2 is it! $20-75

If I want good-quality jeans that doesn't break the bank, Wit & Wisdom is it! $30-80
I have a pair of Celebrity Pink jeans I bought at Macy's yrs ago...they are now cut offs.
Thank gawd they stretch..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty