Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 08:08 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

For a male perspective -

- when buying a suit (not so much anymore) I get 2 pants for every jacket

- I will buy several of the same kind of Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirt

- Costco has a good deal on Lucky Jeans that fit me well, so I bought several pairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 10:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
YES.

I inherited it from my father. If I see something I like I cannot choose just one color. To complete the purchase I must own said item in all colors appealing to me.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i have started doing it more and more often, because when i go back to get something i like and i can't get it i found myself wishing i had gotten more. so now if i like something, then right away i buy a bunch. there is a top that i buy ten at a time. I figure if a man can have a closet full of white shirts or blue shirts, then I can have a closet of 30 pink shirts all the same.

a pair of boots i bought 3 of. a dress i like i got the same dress in 4 different colors, and 3 of each. if i really like something i will keep one or two in "good shape" for work, and one or two to wear often at home and they get a little more worn.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2vegas View Post
Shoes! My nemesis.
Years ago I bought two pair of super comfortable ones that I could wear and concrete for 12 hour days at work
Since they were super expensive I then went online and bought 10 pairs. What I thought was really odd though was that the black ones were not as comfortable as the navy ones or any other color.
More recently I have found a particular style of sketchers sandals. Wearing them daily They wear out very quickly.

Pro-tip about shoe sizing- if you have odd foot specific issues (wide width, narrow arch, etc.) get sized at a boutique shoe store. It'll help you forever after that.

Shoe size can fluctuate over the average person's lifetime due to weight gain, illness or temporary fluid retention.

Just saying. My thought is, it's better to have a few nice pairs of shoes that fit perfectly than a closet full of shoes you never wear anymore.

Old 06-25-2020, 06:40 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
Sometimes the color of clothing bought online and seen in person varies more than I’d think. At times order the next closest color if the original color isn’t as I expected.
At other times I like a light color and dark color variations of the same shirt for contrast, as seen below:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GVp1N91SDDXexHP9

Old 06-25-2020, 07:50 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I figure if a man can have a closet full of white shirts or blue shirts, then I can have a closet of 30 pink shirts all the same.

I don't wear a lot of pink....so I could never see the reason for 30 pink shirts. If you have to buy multiples tho........why not get it in different colors? I dunno what your man's closet has to do with what you buy for yourself.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I live in shorts & either tank tops or camis 8 months out of the year. At one time J.C. Penny's had a great color selection of these camis and I had probably 10 of them. Now they are only carrying the basic colors. I ordered some online from Old Navy that were supposed to be petite but they sent me regular and they are too large. Unfortunately many stores don't sell petites in their brick & mortar stores. Same thing for my son who has to buy tall shirts because regular sizes are always too short in length and in the arms.

Old 06-25-2020, 09:06 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
You know what they say, if you find something you REALLY like that's hard to find, get it in multiples, different colors, etc. How often do you do this & if you have, what was the item & why?

Several years ago Sam's Club had pocket T-shirts for $6. I bought a couple of dozen and now have enough T-shirts to last me the rest of my life and then are a lot more expensive these days.

When I find walking shoes on sale for under $20 I buy a couple of pair. When they are $15 I buy 3 pair.

Old 06-25-2020, 10:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Several years ago Sam's Club had pocket T-shirts for $6. I bought a couple of dozen and now have enough T-shirts to last me the rest of my life and then are a lot more expensive these days.

When I find walking shoes on sale for under $20 I buy a couple of pair. When they are $15 I buy 3 pair.
I bought 2 pairs of cheap trail runners at Costco for like $12 each. While they're not up to hiking (some of the reviews expected them to be the same as $200 hiking boots) they're great for tooling around the house.

Old 06-25-2020, 02:25 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't wear a lot of pink....so I could never see the reason for 30 pink shirts. If you have to buy multiples tho........why not get it in different colors? I dunno what your man's closet has to do with what you buy for yourself.
While everyone here probably knows I wear a lot of pink (especially Fairy Tale pink), I have a few of the same shirts in other colors too, particularly performance pique polos and interlock polos. I have a few non-pink casual button-down shirts as well, as well as some non-pink pullover fleeces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty