Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 03:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am 'mature' at 61, but don't particularly want to dress like the old lady I am. Nor do I want to attempt dressing like I'm 20 because I wouldn't be fooling anyone. Hadn't considered Ann Taylor. We do have Nordstrom's.

At one mall I can hit Nordstrom's, Macy's and Penney's all at once. There's also an Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and several others mentioned. If I need to try Dillard's I can hit a different mall and just go in and out one store from the outside.

While I'm not conservative at all, I do dress somewhat conservatively. Solid colors, more tailored. This job would especially warrant that.

Thanks again. Good to feel like I have options I hadn't thought of.
One more business-y choice is also J. Jill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 04:08 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
I'd check ALL the major dept stores and I'd definitely get things on sale, especially at the pricier stores such as Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's. Other than them, also:

Nordstrom Rack
New York & Co

Even just out of those stores, you should be able to find a good amount. If money's kind of no object, then also go to:

Ann Taylor
Banana Republic

& other pricier stores.

Old 06-27-2020, 04:21 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
There is a potential job I'm in the interviewing process for that would require business dress. I have been remote at home for more than 7 years now, and when I did have to go into the office for my last job it was full on casual - shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc.

So, I have a couple pairs of pants and 3 or 4 nice shirts left that I could have worn if I needed to. 'Nice' shirts basically means with collars and buttons.

Right now there are fewer open choices to shop for business clothing like dress pants, blouses, possibly a few jackets. Where would you go for the best options?

I'm in St. Louis, so we have Macy's, Penney's, Dillards, and the usual things like Kohl's and other stores. I definitely need to go in and try things on rather than relying on online shopping and sending things back and forth. If I get an offer I would need to be ready in less than two weeks, and won't have time to wait for deliveries I hope fit. Considering the virus, limited hours, etc. I would prefer not to have to go to a dozen different places.

What are your best choices for business dress (don't need suits - just tailored and professional clothes)?

Thanks in advance!
Can you take a road trip here:

https://www.archdaily.com/899455/cos...itectural-team

It's a bit of a hike, but you'll look great in clothing that stands out with quality, design and fit.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:21 AM

142 posts, read 71,513 times
The more important question is how are you allowed to do an kn person interview with the virus??

Old 06-28-2020, 09:24 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Quote:
There is a potential job I'm in the interviewing process for that would require business dress. I have been remote at home for more than 7 years now, and when I did have to go into the office for my last job it was full on casual - shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc.

So, I have a couple pairs of pants and 3 or 4 nice shirts left that I could have worn if I needed to. 'Nice' shirts basically means with collars and buttons.

Right now there are fewer open choices to shop for business clothing like dress pants, blouses, possibly a few jackets. Where would you go for the best options?

I'm in St. Louis, so we have Macy's, Penney's, Dillards, and the usual things like Kohl's and other stores. I definitely need to go in and try things on rather than relying on online shopping and sending things back and forth. If I get an offer I would need to be ready in less than two weeks, and won't have time to wait for deliveries I hope fit. Considering the virus, limited hours, etc. I would prefer not to have to go to a dozen different places.

What are your best choices for business dress (don't need suits - just tailored and professional clothes)?

Thanks in advance!
I like Dillards for professional type clothing.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:26 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I like Dillards for professional type clothing.
I agree. We didn't have one where I lived, but I used to visit one whenever I did business travel to a certain city. I loved their business wear and it was priced well too.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:09 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Macy's or Dillards.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:13 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
The more important question is how are you allowed to do an in person interview with the virus??
i have not missed a day at work. We have mandatory masking. We screen everyone daily and don't let them in the building if they don't pass the screening process. This is for employees, visitors, guests, patients, families. And yes we still interview employees in person if needed. Hiring and recrutiment are always important, and even more so during this time because need to keep staffing levels maintained.

so yes we bring people in to interview, we let them know ahead of time there is mandatory masking and screening, if they forget to bring a mask we provide one, i meet them outside the building and bring them in as an authorized guest which is required for knowing why they are there, the meetings and interviews are shceduled in rooms large enough for social distancing, and everyone in the meetings also wears masks. they know and see right up front the safety precautions we are taking, and that has kept us at a very low rate of occurrence compared to the rest of our area.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:05 PM

169 posts, read 179,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport185 View Post
The more important question is how are you allowed to do an kn person interview with the virus??
The interviews are video. The first one was just me, on camera, answering questions posed on the screen. The second one was a phone call. The last one, if I get to do it, will be a video meeting between me and the manager. It's all online now, all the way through to hiring.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:14 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Back in the day, Dillard’s was reliable for business attire. Otherwise, Talbots is worth a try. Maybe White & Black and Ann Taylor. Here, we have Belk which may or may not have anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty