U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 04:27 AM

4,314 posts, read 5,210,510 times

Advertisements

Get on the phone with the personal shopper at Nordstorm and you can cut your time in the store way way down. After a conversation (and maybe a quick selfie so she can see your body type), you can set an appointment and she will pull the appropriate items in the size you need and colors you prefer and have the dressing room ready. You just try, pick what you like best of the items, and out you go. The shopper is paid by the store, no extra charge to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 08:11 AM

69 posts, read 88,551 times
AnnTaylor, Talbots and White House / Black Market are generally solid options. Some of my favorite business attire (slacks and jackets) are Ralph Lauren purchased at Dillards.

Of the options above AnnTaylor stores often have a good selection of Petite sizes. Talbots stores can be hit and miss for Petite sizes unless it is a Talbots Petites store.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM

461 posts, read 221,875 times
You might want to check and see if dressing rooms are open first. We went last weekend and stopped by a few stores - not a single one had dressing rooms open.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:13 AM

1,583 posts, read 838,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
I personally wouldn't buy the high priced clothing at BR, Talbots, Ann Taylor, or Nordstrom's.
I once thought that way too. I used to buy work slacks on sale at Macy's for $30. I finally bought a pair at Talbots for about $70 and they are better made, they fit better and they last a lot longer. You can always find Talbots coupons which will bring down the price a lot. One thing about signing up online at Talbots is that they spam you with constant email!

Old 07-01-2020, 05:23 PM

5,836 posts, read 2,564,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I once thought that way too. I used to buy work slacks on sale at Macy's for $30. I finally bought a pair at Talbots for about $70 and they are better made, they fit better and they last a lot longer. You can always find Talbots coupons which will bring down the price a lot. One thing about signing up online at Talbots is that they spam you with constant email!
Yes, that is definitely true. I have found some low-priced brands that last forever- Uniqlo is generally high quality but is a casual basics kind of place. I have some tops from there that I got in 2009 and are still going strong- I’ve gotten stuff from Kohl’s, NY&Co, Primark, and Old Navy that barely lasted a season before they had to be retired. I just ended up donating a lot of my clothes from Nordstrom and Dillard’s to Goodwill because I don’t work in an office very often now. Some of those items were a good 10 years old and were still in good shape. I still have some 10yo skirts and pants from Nordstrom that still look great.

You can often get good deals at Nordstrom rack, but the merchandise varies wildly. I am in Chicagoland and the Michigan Avenue one had an incredible selection if you want like stylish designer stuff on deep discount. The one by my suburban office is much more casual/outdoorsy and a good place to buy workout clothes/shoes, and then there is one closer to my house that is kind of middle of the road.

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

249 posts, read 36,207 times
Make sure to check if the outfit works with and without a Blazer (or) sweater on. Some offices are colder than others. I like it around 75, but some buildings are set down to 65 which is quite chilly so I always carry a sweater with me.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

16,156 posts, read 22,213,378 times
Macy, black and white market

Old Today, 10:18 AM

322 posts, read 82,090 times
100% for Ann Taylor. Fit is everything and can make all the difference in the world in how you look. They have nice, inexpensive accessories to finish the outfit and lift it up a notch. Have fun with it!

Old Today, 01:12 PM

84,664 posts, read 77,832,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree. We didn't have one where I lived, but I used to visit one whenever I did business travel to a certain city. I loved their business wear and it was priced well too.
The Dillard's where I live got rid of most of their career wear/office wear years ago (great brands ) and said they were switching over to make knock-offs under their own label. I think it was Ralph Lauren that they kept, and that's about it. I see online, that they do still carry a few outside labels in that category, but when I go to their flagship store (1 hr drive away), they don't have most of those brands, either.

So I don't know what's going on with Dillard's. I'm not particularly impressed. Most of what their branch store in my town carries, is frumpy-looking stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty