Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 11:00 AM

169 posts, read 179,650 times

Advertisements

There is a potential job I'm in the interviewing process for that would require business dress. I have been remote at home for more than 7 years now, and when I did have to go into the office for my last job it was full on casual - shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc.

So, I have a couple pairs of pants and 3 or 4 nice shirts left that I could have worn if I needed to. 'Nice' shirts basically means with collars and buttons.

Right now there are fewer open choices to shop for business clothing like dress pants, blouses, possibly a few jackets. Where would you go for the best options?

I'm in St. Louis, so we have Macy's, Penney's, Dillards, and the usual things like Kohl's and other stores. I definitely need to go in and try things on rather than relying on online shopping and sending things back and forth. If I get an offer I would need to be ready in less than two weeks, and won't have time to wait for deliveries I hope fit. Considering the virus, limited hours, etc. I would prefer not to have to go to a dozen different places.

What are your best choices for business dress (don't need suits - just tailored and professional clothes)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2020, 01:13 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
There is a potential job I'm in the interviewing process for that would require business dress. I have been remote at home for more than 7 years now, and when I did have to go into the office for my last job it was full on casual - shorts, sandals, t-shirts, etc.

So, I have a couple pairs of pants and 3 or 4 nice shirts left that I could have worn if I needed to. 'Nice' shirts basically means with collars and buttons.

Right now there are fewer open choices to shop for business clothing like dress pants, blouses, possibly a few jackets. Where would you go for the best options?

I'm in St. Louis, so we have Macy's, Penney's, Dillards, and the usual things like Kohl's and other stores. I definitely need to go in and try things on rather than relying on online shopping and sending things back and forth. If I get an offer I would need to be ready in less than two weeks, and won't have time to wait for deliveries I hope fit. Considering the virus, limited hours, etc. I would prefer not to have to go to a dozen different places.

What are your best choices for business dress (don't need suits - just tailored and professional clothes)?

Thanks in advance!
Dillards has always been the best for me for professional clothes, particularly if you can find sale items. The other places always seem to trend really casual, at least where I’ve lived. When I needed suits and jackets, I would say that most of what I have came from Dillards.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Depends on your budget, but I feel like Banana Republic, Talbots, and Ann Taylor are reliable, and curated places to go for these categories.

In a department store, depending on how it is organized, finding Calvin Klein and what is nearby is a good way to to find business stuff. Macy's usually keeps all the more professional stuff within in the radius of Calvin Klein. In Nordstrom you need to go to I think it is Savvy and TBD - but wherever the Halogen clothing is.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:52 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
My general feeling is that Dillards, Belks, Penney's, and even frequently Kohls lean toward a more mature style (and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way). I would agree with the stores that jade suggested. White House Black Market might be another option

Old 06-27-2020, 08:27 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,068,752 times
I personally wouldn't buy the high priced clothing at BR, Talbots, Ann Taylor, or Nordstrom's. You don't need to spend that kind of money to create a business wardrobe. I found great-fitting dress pants in neutral business colors at a smaller store in the mall called New York and Company. I've found beautiful basic pants and tops in reasonable prices at Old Navy and I love Primark for a wide selection of Euro-inspired dressy blouses. I like Kohl's for work pants as well, not so much for tops or jackets. I know you don't want to run around so maybe my recommendations won't work for you right now but consider it for the future.

The problem with department stores (for me) is that they don't carry pants in my size. I'm a size 2 or 4 pants. I'm NOT a petite (petite is a short woman not necessarily a thin one). Petites are just a little too short for me. I've bought some work pants in the junior department of department stores but it's iffy.

I've also found items in thrift stores--a beautiful purple blouse in a slinky fabric, a gray tailored pencil skirt, a basic black jacket.

My business wardrobe consisted of a pretty large number of pieces which was necessary in order to allow time to wash things or send to the dry cleaners as well as not wear the same things over and over. I couldn't afford to buy that many items in a high priced store. I had to buy a few nice basics and then intersperse a few cheaper things into the mix too.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:21 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on your budget, but I feel like Banana Republic, Talbots, and Ann Taylor are reliable, and curated places to go for these categories.

In a department store, depending on how it is organized, finding Calvin Klein and what is nearby is a good way to to find business stuff. Macy's usually keeps all the more professional stuff within in the radius of Calvin Klein. In Nordstrom you need to go to I think it is Savvy and TBD - but wherever the Halogen clothing is.
I agree with this, in almost everything. It does depend on your budget. I'd go Nordstrom's, but you didn't mention that you had that option. You can get very nice items on sale there with the right timing.

Macy's has really cut back on their professional clothing sections, but there's still Calvin Klein. Macy's also has killer sales! Ann Taylor is synonymous with business attire, if there is one in your area.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:48 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
OP, since you are in a larger city, another option is an outlet mall. They usually sell good basics for fairly cheap at the Banana Republic and Ann Taylor outlets. I have gotten a ton of stuff for work from both places and a lot of times they have good deals like 50% off the entire store. Both usually have sections that skew toward professional basics.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:32 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post

Thanks in advance!
Dillards. Try the store in the Galleria. Too bad the Chesterfield store is long gone.

Chicos used to have some business clothing.

Talbots is also good.

Old 06-27-2020, 11:10 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Dillards has always been the best for me for professional clothes, particularly if you can find sale items. The other places always seem to trend really casual, at least where I’ve lived. When I needed suits and jackets, I would say that most of what I have came from Dillards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
My general feeling is that Dillards, Belks, Penney's, and even frequently Kohls lean toward a more mature style (and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way). I would agree with the stores that jade suggested. White House Black Market might be another option
My wife has found the exact same problem when looking for clothes. Most women's stores around here are really, really casual, almost college student focused. Or at the other extreme something your grandmother would wear to church. There seems to be very little for an adult woman. With our Dillard's closing about all she has left is Penney's and Belk's.

Old 06-27-2020, 02:28 PM

169 posts, read 179,650 times
Thanks for all the suggestions! I am 'mature' at 61, but don't particularly want to dress like the old lady I am. Nor do I want to attempt dressing like I'm 20 because I wouldn't be fooling anyone. Hadn't considered Ann Taylor. We do have Nordstrom's.

At one mall I can hit Nordstrom's, Macy's and Penney's all at once. There's also an Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and several others mentioned. If I need to try Dillard's I can hit a different mall and just go in and out one store from the outside.

While I'm not conservative at all, I do dress somewhat conservatively. Solid colors, more tailored. This job would especially warrant that.

Thanks again. Good to feel like I have options I hadn't thought of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty