Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:26 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times

Advertisements

It wasn't until I was finished shopping around for clothes to buy only to find out the fitting rooms weren't open due to COVID-19. I'm one of those people who won't buy shirts/pants/shorts unless I try it on first. I even told an employee this. I found out that the fitting rooms won't be open until my State's Governor opens Phase 5 of the reopening plan.

I ended up shopping at another retailer online where if the clothes don't fit right, I can take it back.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:30 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Hmm...you're either sending it back or taking it back. Mere inconvenience. You just can't indulge in impulse shopping or get instant gratification quite as well. Consider people who buy clothing gifts...THEY aren't trying them on either and the clothing is usually returnable. If you can't try it on at a brick and mortar store, verify that you can bring it back if it doesn't fit. Just don't wear it before you do!

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 03:19 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 02:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
I have not been in a fitting room in years, i buy everything online, try it on, send the ones I do not want back.

It works great, you should try it.

If you do not want to shop online, simply buy a few sizes of the items you want, try on at home, return the rest.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:58 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Store fitting rooms not being open is totally logical during this time.

What's odd to me though is that they allow returns when you order clothes online, so God knows what people did to the clothes when they got them at home. They tried them on then too & probably (hopefully not intentionally coughed/sneezed) at some point. Again, no intentionally directly on the clothing, but you know how people just randomly cough/sneeze anyway.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:17 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

What's odd to me though is that they allow returns when you order clothes online, so God knows what people did to the clothes when they got them at home. They tried them on then too & probably (hopefully not intentionally coughed/sneezed) at some point. Again, no intentionally directly on the clothing, but you know how people just randomly cough/sneeze anyway.
Remember how long it stays active on surfaces. By the time you receive that sneezed-on clothing (multiple days between sneeze, shipped to vendor, processed by return department, ordered by you, shipped to you, etc) the virus is no longer viable. Even if someone at the vendor's order department sneezed on it there's probably been enough time unless you chose overnight delivery.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 04:11 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 06:46 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I have not been in a fitting room in years, i buy everything online, try it on, send the ones I do not want back.

It works great, you should try it.

If you do not want to shop online, simply buy a few sizes of the items you want, try on at home, return the rest.
Originally, I was shopping at Goodwill because I like shopping at thrift stores since clothes are cheaper then come to find their fitting rooms were closed. I ended up shopping online at Kohl's. I found some good clearance deals on sleeveless shirts. I also found some Demin jean shorts and the kind I like seem to be hard to find and sometimes don't have my size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

That was my thought too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Remember how long it stays active on surfaces. By the time you receive that sneezed-on clothing (multiple days between sneeze, shipped to vendor, processed by return department, ordered by you, shipped to you, etc) the virus is no longer viable. Even if someone at the vendor's order department sneezed on it there's probably been enough time unless you chose overnight delivery.
I hope so... But even in the store, people are touching the clothes on the racks and shelves while shopping.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Originally, I was shopping at Goodwill because I like shopping at thrift stores since clothes are cheaper then come to find their fitting rooms were closed. I ended up shopping online at Kohl's. I found some good clearance deals on sleeveless shirts. I also found some Demin jean shorts and the kind I like seem to be hard to find and sometimes don't have my size.

That was my thought too....

I hope so... But even in the store, people are touching the clothes on the racks and shelves while shopping.
Yes, but that is different from actually trying it on, particularly for a top, where you usually have to put it over your nose/mouth to get it on. The reality of most fitting rooms is that it is pretty hard for people to keep their distance in there when they are going in/coming out as well. It’s just not the best environment as a lot have long hallways and tend to be very tight situations. It’s one thing to have a restroom situation where nature calls and there’s nothing you can do about it (plus there are sinks right there), but clothes are something else entirely.

Old 06-28-2020, 08:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
True, whereas in the stores' fitting rooms at the moment, they don't allow try-ons because people touched & tried on right at that moment & there's not hours to wait for germs to die & separate who touched what.

I've been ordering a LOT since COVID & I have my little routine for opening packages. The outside box/bag is considered dirty & can have active germs, but any germs that were inside are dead by the time I get them. I always wipe my scissors & counter area w/ alcohol that I used to cut open the boxes. OR if there's no rush, I'll let the unopened package sit out in the sun on my patio for a day or two before opening. My Mom does that w/ her mail...she doesn't open the envelopes on the day she obtains it. She lets it sit out in the sun for a day or two before she opens the envelopes.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 06-28-2020 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-28-2020, 09:31 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,041 times
Am I the only one who washes new clothes when I bring them home? Always have.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:16 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Am I the only one who washes new clothes when I bring them home? Always have.
If to keep yes, but we are talking about ordering online or buying a few different sizes at the store, then trying on at home and returning the rest. You do not wash things you intend or might return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty