Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 11:15 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times

Advertisements

I see a lot of sleeveless leather tops for women being sold for summer when I was shopping online, and I wonder if anyone actually feels comfortable wearing them in summer when it’s around 90 and humid much of the time.
I have had a bad experience with sweat and leather shoes, and my feet smelled absolutely terrible. Therefore I never wear leather shoes on summer days. As a guy, I don’t know what type of leather these tops are made of, but if it’s the same material as my shoe, then I imagine it would be very uncomfortable on the skin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 11:24 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
I don't like sleeveless tops in general. I imagine I would hate leather.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I'm trying to envsion a situation where the OP is seeing a lot of sleeveless leather tops for sale. It seems very, very niche.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm trying to envsion a situation where the OP is seeing a lot of sleeveless leather tops for sale. It seems very, very niche.
I don’t know if they were on sale, but when I was shopping online for Plaid shirts few days back, this pop up ad kept showing up for them as new items for women.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:17 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Most of the leather I've seen is lined, so I don't see why a vest would be uncomfortable against the skin. But, no, I wouldn't consider buying one, it isn't exactly my "style".

Old 07-10-2020, 11:24 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I see a lot of sleeveless leather tops for women being sold for summer when I was shopping online, and I wonder if anyone actually feels comfortable wearing them in summer when it’s around 90 and humid much of the time.
I have had a bad experience with sweat and leather shoes, and my feet smelled absolutely terrible. Therefore I never wear leather shoes on summer days. As a guy, I don’t know what type of leather these tops are made of, but if it’s the same material as my shoe, then I imagine it would be very uncomfortable on the skin.
I doubt that it's real leather, it's probably faux leather. I'm thinking the kind of women that might wear real leather tops next to their skin in summer are impractical women that have far too much money to burn or throw away, have no regard for non-renewable resources, and don't care that they'll have to throw away their clothing after two or three uses alone.

It's impossible to wash out or otherwise get rid of sweat stains and the smell of sweat, perfumes and any other strong odours on any kind of warmed leather that makes contact with human skin and skin oils, even on faux leather you can't get rid of it. Add to that the natural animal smell of the leather itself becomes stronger because of body heat so when you combine that heated, humid leather smell with the smells of human body odours/perfumes/environmental odours it isn't going to be pleasant. So they aren't going to get much use out of their leather tops before they stink like a skunk and have to throw them away in the trash. What a wasteful thing, in so many regards.

Vests and other leather outer wear are different from tops because the leather on them is not coming into direct contact with human skin.

Old 07-10-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I doubt that it's real leather, it's probably faux leather. I'm thinking the kind of women that might wear real leather tops next to their skin in summer are impractical women that have far too much money to burn or throw away, have no regard for non-renewable resources, and don't care that they'll have to throw away their clothing after two or three uses alone.

It's impossible to wash out or otherwise get rid of sweat stains and the smell of sweat, perfumes and any other strong odours on any kind of warmed leather that makes contact with human skin and skin oils, even on faux leather you can't get rid of it. Add to that the natural animal smell of the leather itself becomes stronger because of body heat so when you combine that heated, humid leather smell with the smells of human body odours/perfumes/environmental odours it isn't going to be pleasant. So they aren't going to get much use out of their leather tops before they stink like a skunk and have to throw them away in the trash. What a wasteful thing, in so many regards.

Vests and other leather outer wear are different from tops because the leather on them is not coming into direct contact with human skin.

Some of your comments are rather harsh, and I do understand the environment aspect. I was looking at it from a comfort perspective though, which I imagine it wouldn’t be fun.

Also, websites do show women styling leather vests like this where leather does come in contact with the armpits:

https://www.revolve.com/mackage-fred...dp/MACK-WO275/

Old 07-10-2020, 01:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Some of your comments are rather harsh, and I do understand the environment aspect. I was looking at it from a comfort perspective though, which I imagine it wouldn’t be fun.

Also, websites do show women styling leather vests like this where leather does come in contact with the armpits:

https://www.revolve.com/mackage-fred...dp/MACK-WO275/
No, if you look at the bottom view of the slideshow and zoom in you'll see the arm holes on that particular vest are very long and come well down the sides to below the breasts, there is no contact with the armpits. It's a nice looking vest though, stylish, albeit not very practical for summer wear. I don't think you'll find any leather vests of good make and quality coming close to the armpits.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-10-2020 at 01:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No, if you look at the bottom view of the slideshow and zoom in you'll see the arm holes on that particular vest are very long and come well down the sides to below the breasts, there is no contact with the armpits. It's a nice looking vest though, stylish, albeit not very practical for summer wear. I don't think you'll find any leather vests of good make and quality coming close to the armpits.

Well, it can come in contact with the skin from the back though ? If you are wearing a racer back below the vest the sweat from your back will stick to the leather (which is what’s part of this outfit). Personally, I think a t shirt under the vest would work better and act as a layer to wick away the sweat.

Old 07-10-2020, 02:49 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
The only time I see a lot of women wearing sleeveless leather tops is when a large motorcycle event comes to a nearby town every summer.

This is worn as a shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty