Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 12:13 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I haven't bought one makeup item since March 12.
Work ceased, no where to go, No one to see, etc...
But I have bought and used more skin care products because my face has been makeup free.
I suspect when my work begins in August, I'll be using make up and very little lipstick with the mandatory masks.
Yes, same here for me about the shift to skincare now too! I've now bought several skincare masks to try out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There aren't many companies that are strictly lipstick. They are cosmetics companies with broad product offerings. So if it turns out that masks will be a long term change, these companies will simply shift their product focus. Less lipstick and more eyeliner and shadow. Once masks are no longer needed, they'll ramp lipstick production back up.
True, I agree w/ all this. Now the EYES & EYEBROWS will really be the focus. They're the only things left on the face to focus on that's not covered, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It's taking a little step backward BUT...IMO it won't go away. AND lip moisturizers are still used.....so why not just use a smudge proof brand with a matte finish all in one....in a more neutral color if you want. AND...have you seen those masks where it's clear & see through....to show your lips & your face? Maybe that's where it's going...

I've been out to restaurants a couple of times now.....AND you do need to have a mask on hand but you don't have it for eating ofc. I've worn lipstick every time......I just keep it to smudge free like I was always used to for wearing masks at work.

I still want to look good for my fiance..........& for myself. It wouldn't feel normal to go totally without it. Ita tho.....I do wear it less now.

The big thing now tho......is eye makeup. I paid special attention to that for work yesterday.
Yes, I understand the wanting to look good for an SO/spouse. I'm the type who would wear foundation even to the gym & NEVER step out of the house w/o makeup, but since starting mask-wearing, big sunglasses, & now even a cap which I never really wore much either, well that pretty much covers the whole face anyway!

Actually, there are times when fiance' & I go out for drives & don't really step foot out of the car, so I can wear makeup again then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 06:21 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
I only wear a mask in the grocery store, so yes, I still wear lipstick when I'm out, and even bought some a couple weeks ago..lol

Masks are not my "new normal", so I haven't given up yet.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Yes, I understand the wanting to look good for an SO/spouse. I'm the type who would wear foundation even to the gym & NEVER step out of the house w/o makeup, but since starting mask-wearing, big sunglasses, & now even a cap which I never really wore much either, well that pretty much covers the whole face anyway!

Be careful wearing foundation...specially to gyms IMO....it can clog pores. I don't usually wear foundation.......just BB cream for lighter coverage BUT.....I don't wear any makeup for my workouts either.

IMO it's nothing tho to add a neutral smudge free lipstick to BB cream & eye makeup for work. Even tho nobody is seeing my lips until I get home....it's habit & takes 2 seconds to put it on. AND for any kind of dining out.........I wouldn't go without it.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:40 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
I only wear a mask in the grocery store, so yes, I still wear lipstick when I'm out, and even bought some a couple weeks ago..lol

Masks are not my "new normal", so I haven't given up yet.
Masks are needed for any public indoor space, and even recommended outdoors if you can’t maintain 6 foot distance from someone outside your family. It’s ok to eat outdoors without a mask, as long as you are not within 6 feet of someone else for more than a minute.
Please, follow the rules, and do your part to stop the spread. Short term sacrifice will be worth for long term gain. One year is less than 2% of your lifetime experience, you can get back to your fashion routine once the virus goes away, and possibly will get that extra year of time back if you remained healthy.
The lipstick industry will be just fine. The person who owns L’Oréal is a billionaire and can afford to live in their palace without the revenue from plebs not buying enough lipsticks for a year.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 07-09-2020 at 05:06 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 05:28 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I would think some of the people doing Zoom meetings, etc., would still wear makeup daily. If I wear makeup, I wear a liquid lipstick even if wearing a mask. It's for me to feel good.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:24 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I would think some of the people doing Zoom meetings, etc., would still wear makeup daily. If I wear makeup, I wear a liquid lipstick even if wearing a mask. It's for me to feel good.
I just don’t know how people can wear liquid lipstick. Any smudge-proof types make my lips look like they belong to a woman twice my age, and I am 43. That is not a good look. It is like I have been put in a dehydrator for a few years.

I can see it for Zoom and other videoconference meetings though. Thankfully, my office does not have those for anyone but management. We barely have enough bandwidth for what we are doing as it is on our VPN. I’m quite happy to be downgraded as our trainings and meetings are so terrible that I am sure my faces are just precious. At my last job we did have videoconference (my unit was spread among different offices) and it was so hard to behave.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
What do you guys think will happen to the lipstick industry in these COVID times? I can't imagine anyone will be buying lipsticks/lip glosses much anymore since we'll have to wear masks for who knows how long. (The Chap Stick & other lip moisterizer industries will probably still be OK.)

I personally LOVE lipstick & have a LOT of mostly liquid lipsticks, but sure didn't buy any in the last 3-4 mos...there's no point anymore to wear it.
Just because people can not see 3/4s of my face when I leave the house, does not mean that I do not care how that part of myself appears. When I look in the mirror, I want to look good FOR ME.
I use an intensive moisturizer lip mask every night. Use a moisturizer in the day, and wear lipstick - no less than I did before.

"Lipstick" is not an "industry in and of itself. Cosmetics are. Will lipstick sales sag? Perhaps to some degree, however, they will not discontinue the manufacture of lipstick.

I have a friend who just had a lip procedure, and yes; it was on sale, probably because lips are not on display now. She is doing it for herself. People are also still having their

Much depends upon how long the pandemic lasts. Fashion masks are already a thing, however, not in N-95, masks.

There are also masks that show ones mouth thru a transparent panel. People are also still having their teeth whitened.

Last edited by sheena12; 07-09-2020 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-10-2020, 05:31 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

I can see it for Zoom and other videoconference meetings though. Thankfully, my office does not have those for anyone but management. We barely have enough bandwidth for what we are doing as it is on our VPN. I’m quite happy to be downgraded as our trainings and meetings are so terrible that I am sure my faces are just precious. At my last job we did have videoconference (my unit was spread among different offices) and it was so hard to behave.
We had a zoom meeting yesterday....with the big boss men. I had to lead the meeting and gave my 20 minute important sounding update, complete with some fancy terminology I had researched on the internet to make myself appear more intelligent and when finished, one person stated they did not hear a thing I said and the others concurred. The lack of bandwidth over the VPN broke up the sound. So I blabbed for no purpose whatsoever …. but ….I did have my lipstick on so all was not lost.

Old 07-10-2020, 06:16 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Masks are needed for any public indoor space, and even recommended outdoors if you can’t maintain 6 foot distance from someone outside your family. It’s ok to eat outdoors without a mask, as long as you are not within 6 feet of someone else for more than a minute.
Please, follow the rules, and do your part to stop the spread. Short term sacrifice will be worth for long term gain. One year is less than 2% of your lifetime experience, you can get back to your fashion routine once the virus goes away, and possibly will get that extra year of time back if you remained healthy.
The lipstick industry will be just fine. The person who owns L’Oréal is a billionaire and can afford to live in their palace without the revenue from plebs not buying enough lipsticks for a year.
The grocery store is the only place I have to deal with the general public, so you can save that speech for somebody else

Old 07-10-2020, 07:28 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
What do you guys think will happen to the lipstick industry in these COVID times? I can't imagine anyone will be buying lipsticks/lip glosses much anymore since we'll have to wear masks for who knows how long. (The Chap Stick & other lip moisterizer industries will probably still be OK.)

I personally LOVE lipstick & have a LOT of mostly liquid lipsticks, but sure didn't buy any in the last 3-4 mos...there's no point anymore to wear it.
Funny you should post this because just the other day I was joking with someone that at least with a mask on I'm saving on lipstick. Basically the only make-up I'm wearing is mascara these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty