Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times

Advertisements

What do you guys think will happen to the lipstick industry in these COVID times? I can't imagine anyone will be buying lipsticks/lip glosses much anymore since we'll have to wear masks for who knows how long. (The Chap Stick & other lip moisterizer industries will probably still be OK.)

I personally LOVE lipstick & have a LOT of mostly liquid lipsticks, but sure didn't buy any in the last 3-4 mos...there's no point anymore to wear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 07:49 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
What do you guys think will happen to the lipstick industry in these COVID times? I can't imagine anyone will be buying lipsticks/lip glosses much anymore since we'll have to wear masks for who knows how long. (The Chap Stick & other lip moisterizer industries will probably still be OK.)

I personally LOVE lipstick & have a LOT of mostly liquid lipsticks, but sure didn't buy any in the last 3-4 mos...there's no point anymore to wear it.
Oh, I'll still be buying them...lol.. I don't wear a mask outside, so my lips will still be seen sometimes. I also don't wear a mask when I'm in a restaurant...

Old 07-07-2020, 10:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
I haven't bought one makeup item since March 12.
Work ceased, no where to go, No one to see, etc...
But I have bought and used more skin care products because my face has been makeup free.
I suspect when my work begins in August, I'll be using make up and very little lipstick with the mandatory masks.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:08 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
There aren't many companies that are strictly lipstick. They are cosmetics companies with broad product offerings. So if it turns out that masks will be a long term change, these companies will simply shift their product focus. Less lipstick and more eyeliner and shadow. Once masks are no longer needed, they'll ramp lipstick production back up.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Oh, I'll still be buying them...lol.. I don't wear a mask outside, so my lips will still be seen sometimes. I also don't wear a mask when I'm in a restaurant...
Number 1: Please follow the health experts prioritize health over fashion. Masks help save lives of the vulnerable people and we should do our part as a member of the society to help them out. If you are within 6 feet of another individual for more than a minute then you must wear a mask outdoors. You need to wear a mask at all times in indoor public places like grocery stores and restaurants.

Lipstick may not recover. But the same companies make other beauty products which would still be in demand. Also, video conferencing still happens and people might use them then.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:30 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
You need to wear a mask at all times in indoor public places like grocery stores and restaurants.
It's kind of impossible to eat while wearing a mask.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:37 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

It's taking a little step backward BUT...IMO it won't go away. AND lip moisturizers are still used.....so why not just use a smudge proof brand with a matte finish all in one....in a more neutral color if you want. AND...have you seen those masks where it's clear & see through....to show your lips & your face? Maybe that's where it's going...

I've been out to restaurants a couple of times now.....AND you do need to have a mask on hand but you don't have it for eating ofc. I've worn lipstick every time......I just keep it to smudge free like I was always used to for wearing masks at work.

I still want to look good for my fiance..........& for myself. It wouldn't feel normal to go totally without it. Ita tho.....I do wear it less now.

The big thing now tho......is eye makeup. I paid special attention to that for work yesterday.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's kind of impossible to eat while wearing a mask.
I don’t think in person dining is allowed in my area. The county has banned in person dining to keep COVID positive rates under 3%. Only takeout is allowed.
These days, I’m staying at home while eating.
Still, there were 490 cases statewide, up from 150 in the beginning of June. Positivity rate is the same and ICU use is low, but there is still significant spread.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:21 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I don’t think in person dining is allowed in my area.

Indoor dining & bars got shut down again in some counties....BUT most restaurants still have patio dining & small groups only. AND we can still wear lipstick for outdoor dining....

Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Indoor dining & bars got shut down again in some counties....BUT most restaurants still have patio dining & small groups only. AND we can still wear lipstick for outdoor dining....
Yes, that is true for the Bay Area. My area has cold & snow outside the summer months so outdoor dining is very seasonal, and lipstick will see reduced use for the purpose you mentioned.
Also video conferencing is still happening so lipstick (and other cosmetics) will still be used for that. It’s not like people suddenly stopped dating or showing up at conferences, lot of them are still dating via Zoom.

Last edited by FrozenI69; 07-08-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty