Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 10:55 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,934 times

Advertisements

After years of hating my droopy eye lids (I resemble a shar Pei dog!) my eye Dr confirmed that it was impairing my vision by 30% and sent me to a ocularfacial surgeon!
I had my consult and of COURSE they tried to up-sell me on a brow lift too. I've decided not to go ahead with that (mostly due to the cost) but the surprising part is that insurance just pays for the muscle tightening of the eye lid and not the skin removal part which is out of pocket.
I think I've decided to go ahead and pay for the skin removal part also.
My question is:
Has anyone done this? Are you happy with the results? Was there a noticeable different (to you anyway)?
Did any part of it go through insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2020, 01:46 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKB View Post
After years of hating my droopy eye lids (I resemble a shar Pei dog!) my eye Dr confirmed that it was impairing my vision by 30% and sent me to a ocularfacial surgeon!
I had my consult and of COURSE they tried to up-sell me on a brow lift too. I've decided not to go ahead with that (mostly due to the cost) but the surprising part is that insurance just pays for the muscle tightening of the eye lid and not the skin removal part which is out of pocket.
I think I've decided to go ahead and pay for the skin removal part also.
My question is:
Has anyone done this? Are you happy with the results? Was there a noticeable different (to you anyway)?
Did any part of it go through insurance?
A friend did, and she was happy with the results. I don't know about the skin removal part. I will ask her.

She also had her neck done. She was a woman who was obese most of her life and had lap band surgery close to 60 and lost a lot of weight, and it showed in her face and neck.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:32 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
I know a few people that had simply what the doctor recommended done and insurance covered and on those you can barely tell any difference really. They only did what the eyesight required.
I'm going to be tested for same soon and if I meet the criteria, I'm going to have them do the little extras I believe.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:16 AM

1,381 posts, read 2,102,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I know a few people that had simply what the doctor recommended done and insurance covered and on those you can barely tell any difference really. They only did what the eyesight required.
I'm going to be tested for same soon and if I meet the criteria, I'm going to have them do the little extras I believe.
Thanks - this is my feeling too. I don't want to not see any difference after with just the part that insurance will cover. I wish I could fork out the $3500 for a brow lift too but that's just not in the cards right now.

Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
I had an eyelid surgery.

My eyes felt like they had sand in them all the time. And my vision was limited looking up.

When it started getting dark at night, I didn't have the best depth of vision either. I had to go through a bank of tests before the insurance company agreed the surgery was needed.

My father and sister also had to get it done.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:54 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I had an eyelid surgery.

My eyes felt like they had sand in them all the time. And my vision was limited looking up.

When it started getting dark at night, I didn't have the best depth of vision either. I had to go through a bank of tests before the insurance company agreed the surgery was needed.

My father and sister also had to get it done.
...and?? do you like the results? Do you look normal or "fake"?

Old 07-16-2020, 10:21 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
I had it done about 15 years ago. I like the results. My only issue is my left eye is always tearing now.

Old 07-16-2020, 11:56 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
I'm just putting a cautionary note in here, for anyone thinking about getting this lift, who has thyroid disease.

I spoke at length over several appointments with an ophthalmologist who specializes in thyroid cases, and does this surgery for thyroid patients. He ultimately said, that if your thyroid levels aren't stable (presumably if you've been diagnosed, you get them checked annually, if not semi-annually), a change in thyroid levels will cause changes in the eyelids, that will not be fixable once they've been operated on (assuming the excess skin has been removed, which is an automatic part of his procedure). Once the tissue has been cut into and re-arranged, there's no going back for a re-do, if thyroid throws it off, later, possibly causing differential swelling of the tissue, or some such.

However, he's done many of these procedures, and no one has come back later with that type of problem. But I had to opt out, because after a period of stability, my thyroid levels have gone through some changes, though now seem to have re-stabilized. But I don't want to risk anything. The surgery could look great afterwards for, say, 10 years, but then if something throws my thyroid off, I'd be out of luck if it wrecked my eyelids.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:40 PM

19,023 posts, read 27,579,284 times
I have a question.
As, just like any surgery of such nature, it does not remove the CAUSE of problem. Doesn't this require routine follow ups? OOP? What, basically, ensures that MD has stable income source for years to come.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:47 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm just putting a cautionary note in here, for anyone thinking about getting this lift, who has thyroid disease.

I spoke at length over several appointments with an ophthalmologist who specializes in thyroid cases, and does this surgery for thyroid patients. He ultimately said, that if your thyroid levels aren't stable (presumably if you've been diagnosed, you get them checked annually, if not semi-annually), a change in thyroid levels will cause changes in the eyelids, that will not be fixable once they've been operated on (assuming the excess skin has been removed, which is an automatic part of his procedure). Once the tissue has been cut into and re-arranged, there's no going back for a re-do, if thyroid throws it off, later, possibly causing differential swelling of the tissue, or some such.

However, he's done many of these procedures, and no one has come back later with that type of problem. But I had to opt out, because after a period of stability, my thyroid levels have gone through some changes, though now seem to have re-stabilized. But I don't want to risk anything. The surgery could look great afterwards for, say, 10 years, but then if something throws my thyroid off, I'd be out of luck if it wrecked my eyelids.
wow, that is an important detail to know (I have hashimotos).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty