Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 08:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's also bad for the environment. Those microbeads end up in rivers and oceans and fish eat them. But they're not digestible.
The apricot scrub doesn't have microbeads. It uses walnut shell powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 09:50 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Two on your list send up big red flags.

Please go to your bathroom, get your St. Ives, and throw it in the trash. I have no idea how that crap is still on the market. It is far too harsh for anyone's skin.

And don't use baking soda to clean your face. You're just screwing up your skin's pH.

Stick with Cetaphil, Cerave, Neutrogena, Olay, La Roche Posay
This.

Quote:
I’m referring to the apricot scrub that the OP mentioned ... it’s terrible for anyone’s skin type. If you don’t believe me, feel free to ask literally ANY dermatologist.
That walnut shell destroys your face.

I use sea salt and coconut oil.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
I’m referring to the apricot scrub that the OP mentioned ... it’s terrible for anyone’s skin type. If you don’t believe me, feel free to ask literally ANY dermatologist.
Yes, I too was talking about the apricot scrub.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:28 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, I too was talking about the apricot scrub.
It's terrible for all skin types. You may not be able to see the damage, but you're causing microscopic tears in your skin. Seriously, any derm will tell you to stay away.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
OOP! My bad. They used to use microbeads in exfoliating scrubs (but maybe never the shell exfolliants) but stopped using microbeads in 2014.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Is your skin made of sandpaper? When I want a little exfoliation, I get a washcloth and gently scrub. i think those harsh scrubs are wastes of money, and are possibly bad for your skin

If you must do this, see a dermatologist for advice.

Treat your skin gently.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
The feedback I read on the scrub is that the walnut powder is not fine enough for your delicate face skin! It is pretty rough. I used it as a teen, and then stopped at some point. I think actually I moved on to cetaphil LOL. And then I realized that my skin wasn't a fan of that either.

Even though my skin is pretty dry, creamy cleansers rarely leave me feeling clean enough. I look for gentle and hydrating gel cleansers instead.

As for the exfoliant, I use a chemical one, I like Moon Juice's Acid Potion - it works well for me and has AHA and BHA. I use this a few times a week. I also have a rinse off exfoliating mask from Peach and Lily I use about weekly. It works great. And when I feel like a physical scrub, I got the Trader Joes Blueberry mask/scrub. It is effective, but I can't use it too often. Maybe once every few weeks. It is a great price, but I thought I'd love it more.

I also really like the Volition Beauty Turmeric scrub. This one is b better for me than the Trader Joes one, but more expensive of course! I used to use this often, but decreased once I added the acids in my routine.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:21 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
I, too, used to use the apricot scrub for years. I actually thought the exfoliating ingredient was the ground up pit of the apricot itself. Anyway, I read that even though finely ground up, the walnut shell (as it turns out, apparently) would still have sharp edges that would actually scratch the skin, or something like that. It was a long time ago.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:46 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I recently started using a turmeric mask.
So I'll take a look at the turmeric scrub that's been mentioned.
Thanks.

Old 07-21-2020, 05:54 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Please go to your bathroom, get your St. Ives, and throw it in the trash. I have no idea how that crap is still on the market. It is far too harsh for anyone's skin.
Don't waste it, just use it on a less sensitive part of the body, feet perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty