Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 12:58 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
Since that poster said she is out in the hot and humid sun for a designated 2 hours to get her vitamin D, I just think the ice water would keep cooler longer than refrigerated water.

Again, I am not condoning anyone sun tan. I was just wondering if people in other parts of the country tan, because I don't see many tan people here anymore. It used to be *everybody* was tan here, and it was almost a fashion statement. 20+ years ago.

Update - that woman at the pool is still out there, 7 days a week, and we are approaching 100 degrees, and I am just wondering - Why???
I'm not sure if you mentioned where you are? As I mentioned, I'm in FL and nobody tans here except the snowbirds or vacationers. However, I'm not sure how it is up home (Phila.), where going "down the shore" and "laying out" is a thing because you only have a few months to do it.

About the lady at the pool: I have found that people who have olive skin and get fabulous dark tans can never get enough. They need to be as dark as possible, doesn't matter how leathery their skin eventually gets. And there IS a point where "too tan" isn't even attractive anymore, it just looks ridiculous -- especially when they have raccoon eyes from their sunglasses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 05:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm not sure if you mentioned where you are? As I mentioned, I'm in FL and nobody tans here except the snowbirds or vacationers. However, I'm not sure how it is up home (Phila.), where going "down the shore" and "laying out" is a thing because you only have a few months to do it.

About the lady at the pool: I have found that people who have olive skin and get fabulous dark tans can never get enough. They need to be as dark as possible, doesn't matter how leathery their skin eventually gets. And there IS a point where "too tan" isn't even attractive anymore, it just looks ridiculous -- especially when they have raccoon eyes from their sunglasses.
I'm in sunny southern California. Sure, there are going to be the beach people, but I am more inland, and it gets HOT if you wanted to lay out and get a tan. Gets over a 100 degrees and no cool breeze anywhere.

The woman at the pool is probably around age 35-40, and when I've seen her in the winter, she is blonde, and fair skinned, light eyes. Definitely not olive skinned. I get being out by the pool once in awhile, or even once a week, but EVERY day in a bathing suit for 4+ hours a day? I kind of want to ask her - Why? LoL. But it's not my business. She is looking kind of red/tan. I seriously am concerned she will get skin cancer! But, I don't know... whatever she wants to do...

I just mean in general, do people still lay out and get real tanned anymore? Yes, I used to do it. Before I knew any better and when everyone here was doing it, too.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 AM

24,525 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
I'm in sunny southern California. Sure, there are going to be the beach people, but I am more inland, and it gets HOT if you wanted to lay out and get a tan. Gets over a 100 degrees and no cool breeze anywhere.

The woman at the pool is probably around age 35-40, and when I've seen her in the winter, she is blonde, and fair skinned, light eyes. Definitely not olive skinned. I get being out by the pool once in awhile, or even once a week, but EVERY day in a bathing suit for 4+ hours a day? I kind of want to ask her - Why? LoL. But it's not my business. She is looking kind of red/tan. I seriously am concerned she will get skin cancer! But, I don't know... whatever she wants to do...

I just mean in general, do people still lay out and get real tanned anymore? Yes, I used to do it. Before I knew any better and when everyone here was doing it, too.
yiu are correct - it is none of your business.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:14 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani44 View Post
Black spots are not freckles. What is wrong with freckles anyway? They are natural for redheads
Nothing wrong with freckles but they are a sign that you should avoid long sun exposure, and that you will not get a tan.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
yiu are correct - it is none of your business.
Yes I know. I was just giving an example. I would never go up and ask her why she is doing this.

Just asking a general thread question...

Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
Not on purpose. However, I spend ALOT of time outside. I love being outside. I adore swimming. I wear sunblock and I still always have a tan. I think having a tan is indicative of damage, right?

As far as sitting under an umbrella goes, nope. I have an umbrella and I have access to shade, but I'm usually being active outside so it doesn't really help.

The only time I've ever burned was when I went to SW Florida in April. I was slathered in sunblock & zinc and stayed in the shade as much as possible. Egads, that FL sun.
I live in SW Florida. The sun is brutal and it's like that most of the year, even in our so called "winter". I got one of my worst sunburns in February when I was 20 years old. I remember laying out by the beach with no sunblock, just iodine mixed in with baby oil. Good grief I was dumb. I'm northern Italian so I'm rather fair skinned and I can burn pretty easily, especially back then.

I don't mind tanning outside if I'm by a pool or IN the pool on a floatie but to lay out in the backyard with no pool would be torture. The only time I've done it is when I had the hose nearby to drench myself. It's like torture.

I get quite a bit of sun just gardening but I cover my face with SPF 50 and the rest of me except my legs with SPF 30. I don't want to end up looking like some of these people I see around here who are over tanned with deep set wrinkles. Occasionally I will use the tanning bed to try and blend all the different shades together. :-)

Old 08-12-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I live in SW Florida. The sun is brutal and it's like that most of the year, even in our so called "winter". I got one of my worst sunburns in February when I was 20 years old. I remember laying out by the beach with no sunblock, just iodine mixed in with baby oil. Good grief I was dumb. I'm northern Italian so I'm rather fair skinned and I can burn pretty easily, especially back then.

I don't mind tanning outside if I'm by a pool or IN the pool on a floatie but to lay out in the backyard with no pool would be torture. The only time I've done it is when I had the hose nearby to drench myself. It's like torture.

I get quite a bit of sun just gardening but I cover my face with SPF 50 and the rest of me except my legs with SPF 30. I don't want to end up looking like some of these people I see around here who are over tanned with deep set wrinkles. Occasionally I will use the tanning bed to try and blend all the different shades together. :-)
I never knew Florida has such strong sun. I'm learning this from this thread. Is it all of Florida, or just certain parts, maybe in Miami??

Have any of you been to Hawaii? That was the only place I've ever burned. That sun was really strong there. It was in Oahu.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Nope. I hate being hot; hate sweating.
This. The change of life snuffed my desire to bake in the sun moreso than the threat of skin damage.

But that happened when I was 45. Every summer before that ...

Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I do for maybe 1/2 an hour; just to get Vitamin D.

But my face is covered and sunscreen on my forearms which have some sun damage.

I still think we need some sun, but how much is the question.
I may sit out on my girlfriend's deck every once in awhile for the benefit of Vitamin D for 20 minutes or thereabouts. However, I always wear long sleeves winter, summer, spring and fall and a baseball cap in the summer. Knock on wood, thus far I only have very faint age spots on the top of my hands, nothing on my face.

So far I don't appear to have any sun damage, however I am fair skinned/blonde and blue eyed so I would only have gotten sunburnt...painful and not worth the trouble for me.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:19 AM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
I never knew Florida has such strong sun. I'm learning this from this thread. Is it all of Florida, or just certain parts, maybe in Miami??
Your risk of a burn is more a matter of altitude and latitude.

Assuming the amount of time you happen to sit in the sun is the same and the weather is equally clear, you are more likely to burn more at a higher altitude and lower latitude.

At a higher altitude there's less distance between you and the sun. Less atmosphere (and all the particulates, water vapor it carries and the depth of ozone) to filter the sun's UV rays. More likely to burn on a high mountain peak in CO than at sea level. Miami wouldn't be much higher in altitude than other FL cities so probably not a notable difference between them.

Then we add latitude into the mix.

Latitude matters because of the angle of the sun's light striking the earth. The closer to the Equator you are, the more directly the sun's rays hit. The Equator is latitude 0. The poles are at 90 degrees. Maine is at about 45 degrees latitude. FL about 24 degrees. You are more likely to get a burn on a beach in FL than one in ME.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-12-2020 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty