Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

There are only two real answers to "what makes a person look older". The answers are hormonal changes and physical pain. These two things cause and effect everything else that has already been mentioned as a cause of appearance of aging in all people's lives regardless of their chronological age.

A decrease in hormones causes rapid aging, weakness, pain and general overall deterioration both inside and out. An increase in hormones causes a rapid increase of weight and appearance of increasing and/or maintenance of youthfulness, vigour and stamina. Until too much of it turns you into a fat blob that can't move. Estrogen alone of all other hormones is the worst culprit if abused or entirely eliminated.

Too little or too much of both hormones and/or pain will absolutely kill you no matter what they make you look like.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 02:01 PM

21,933 posts, read 9,503,108 times
Lack of estrogen.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:50 AM

13 posts, read 7,207 times
Wrinkles

Old 10-30-2020, 06:09 AM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Flabby upper arms.

Underweight and wrinkly.

Some people look good for their age. If they dressed younger they would look foolish.

Old 10-30-2020, 04:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
I'm older myself so I have some personal experience with this and I've noticed in other people, they look older due to:

Being overweight by 30+ lbs.

Having a face that has widen (our face structure tends to extend with age)

Sunken/hollow under eyes gives a tired, worn, aged appearance

A lot of moles and freckles on the face and/or neck area (tends to happen to people of color once they hit age 30+)

Receding hairline

Teeth which seems to have shrunk in size and bite line appears to have shifted backwards

Having a missing tooth/teeth in the front or side that's apparent when the person talks or smiles

Having noticeable weight in the middle. The muffin top, belly rolls, or big belly even if the rest of the body is not extremely overweight, those factors make a person looks older. Often when out in public, I've been walking and a person in front of me looked as I've described. I've also encountered these types in my line of work. I assumed they were aged or older based on how they looked from behind. Once I heard them speak or heard them in conversation on their phone, I heard the "youth" in their voice. Saw youth in their skin, eyes, teeth. They were actually young.

Bad posture, slouching, slumping

Old 10-30-2020, 04:56 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Lack of estrogen.
I don't think a you can look at a person and see a lack of estrogen unless you're able to look inside their body and see their receptacle is completely empty of its' supply of estrogen.

Old 11-01-2020, 09:33 AM

215 posts, read 144,817 times
a person's behavior and mindset also make a person seem older

I remember people in their 20's saying they were too old, and they showed signs of behaving like an old person way before their time, those are the people that seem to age very quick, they get out of shape at a young age, they also have premature greying hair much sooner than normal? I guess some people age faster because of their genetics?

how you are mentally also has a lot to do with aging, you have to have be both mentally and physically young to feel good and look good.

If you ever watched old black & white movies from the 1940's a lot of women appear older by the sound of their voice and old fashioned talk, also because they were heavy smokers, drinkers back then, because everybody smoked

like the old movie AFRICAN QUEEN with Humphrey Bogart & Katherine Hepburn , the lady had a very mature older sounding voice, and sounded elderly.

Last edited by mr peanut; 11-01-2020 at 09:43 AM..

Old 11-01-2020, 10:41 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
I think a lot of people grow wider and look fuller as they grow older. This makes them look shorter. And then they wear more conservative clothing. Men develop a deeper 5 o'clock shadow. Women, otoh, wear more makeup. With both sexes, hair isn't as lush and vibrant, and the eyes looked tired.

Old 11-01-2020, 10:58 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
To me it’s wrinkles. I remember Gordon Ramsay looking like he was in his 50s or 60s back in the early 2000s, when he was actually still in his mid 30s, due to the heavy set wrinkles. He actually looks younger now in his 50s than he did 15 years ago, because of the plastic surgery which was a pretty good job.

Old 11-01-2020, 11:04 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Also, people with smaller and more narrow eyes seem to look older while larger eyes tend to create the illusion one is younger than they are. Susan Sarandon is a good example of this. I don’t know how she looks now, but she has looked much younger than she is on paper for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty