Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 03:10 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times

Advertisements

I have auburn hair, so find autumn shades are the most flattering. Chocolate brown, olive green, golds, russet, and pale yellow comprise the majority of my wardrobe. I have some neutrals in black, tan and white. I loathe grey and would never buy anything in that color.

There are colors I absolutely love, like pale lilac, shell pink, and pale aqua, but they do nothing for me, unfortunately. Funny, because my mother was a redhead and her entire wardrobe was shades of turquoise and aqua and all looked lovely on her. Must be the skin tone that makes the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 03:03 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
I have lots of blues, from pastels to navy. In wintertime, I wear a lot of black or black and white when I go out.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:50 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Black
White
Tan
Denim

Old 10-22-2020, 08:42 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,406,915 times
Hey, does anyone remember when "getting your colors done" was the rage (back in the 80s)? I thought it was kind of scammy....until I watched this TV hostess getting hers done. They held up one swatch of color to her face and she looked fine. But with the next swatch, I watched the color literally drain from her face. They even recommended your most flattering color of jewelry, gold or silver.

But I think most of us can figure that out for ourselves. I'm a redhead and my mother (also a redhead) told me we could never wear black. Then I was looking for a winter coat in my 30s and my friend said, I bet you look great in black. I tried on a black Chesterfield style and it looked awesome! Since then black has become a staple, along with black-and-white. I have a lot of coral too. Not crazy about bright colors or prints.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:51 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Blue, I have all shades of blue.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:19 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
Black
White
Tan
Denim
Add gray and khaki green and that was my wardrobe up North. My summer wardrobe consisted of brighter colors but I could never wear my summer wardrobe at work because it was too dang cold in the building!

Now that I'm retired and living in FL I decided to completely flip my wardrobe. Now it's mostly bright/light colors--pink (I NEVER wore pink) yellow, aqua, lilac/purple, green and white. But I've noticed that darker colors are worn here in FL during the Fall/Winter. Walking into Kohl's in FL you'd think you're in CT or MA. The clothes are exactly the same. This mystifies me as it gets really "cold" all of maybe two weeks during January (if that) and that's it for Winter. I have yet to wear one of the many sweaters that I hauled over from CT.

One color I won't wear is red except for "patriotic" holidays. Even for Christmas I prefer green. The funny thing is that I really like the way red glasses look on my face

Old 10-22-2020, 09:30 PM

644 posts, read 307,490 times
Lots of forest green/aqua, and cherry red. It's not intentional, but I guess that's what catches my eye when I'm picking out new clothes. And black of course, because I take public transit a lot and light colors get grimy very fast.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:31 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
Bright or dark....I'm pale with med. blonde hair, and old (73)...pastels make me look even more washed out. I like red best.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,176,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Bright or dark....I'm pale with med. blonde hair, and old (73)...pastels make me look even more washed out. I like red best.
My son when he was about 7 once told me when I was dressed conservatively for work in a beige blouse that I looked like a manilla folder! I have had platinum or winter ice hair and lighter skin tones pretty much since I was about 30. So for the last 30 years I have avoided beige unless I wear a bright colored sweater or jacket over it.

I choose the brighter colors but black also looks good. I have a lot of reds, purple, bright pinks, burgundy, and some shades of blue.I stay away from whites and yellows. Pastels make me look old and at 71, I am not ready to give into looking old.

Old 10-23-2020, 11:23 AM

19,807 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Blues (all shades). Followed by red and black. Some green. And, of course, white and cream. That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty