Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 10:19 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I agree with the above assessment.

I don't think it's just a cultural, racial or ethnic thing since I see the same thing here amongst women of all types, I think it's more of an expression of status thing. The way I see it, it isn't only making a statement about what a woman (of any race) can afford financially, it's also making statements about a woman's perceived privilege, social status, personal time and personal effort expended, and it says a lot about her self-interest and outside interests (or lack of interests).

She's saying "Look at the condition of my hands and nails - see that I'm wealthy and privileged enough that I don't have to do any hard work with my hands that would otherwise ruin my nails. I have no pressure on my time, I'm bored and have plenty of time to spare in my daily activities to spend on myself with the application of accoutrements that I believe will enhance my natural appearance (nails, lashes, cosmetics, assorted hair pieces, wash out hair colours, etc.). I'm privileged enough that I can pay for the professional services/servitude of other people who have to work harder for a living to pamper me by doing things to my body than I'm not capable or am unwilling to bother doing for myself. I'm beautiful and high status, I'm high maintenance, I'm this generation's incarnation of Queen Cleopatra and I am so cool, secure and better than all those other women who don't have the wherewithal to waste on looking like me."

Now the statement she's making with her appearance about what she can financially afford may or may not be true - she could be putting herself into terrible debt with her expenditures (like those poor men with the expensive fancy cars and manly toys are doing in order to gain status among their own peers) - but that isn't what her appearance says about her to her peers (until they get to know her a lot better).

An important clue in recognizing a life of leisure is very soft hands that are untouched by harsh chemicals used for nails, make-up and hair modifications.

Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,831,283 times
Mod cut.

Regarding hair,you do know natural hair discrimination on black women exists right?

They have to cover their hair because non black people would complain it is unprofessional and all the other stereotypes.
Nj just past a law against hair discrimination.

If you do not like wigs and weaves or whatever,how about you do not complain when they wear their natural hair?
Problem solved.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 10-27-2020 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:32 AM

1,066 posts, read 764,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
No need for a racial qualifer here. I see women wear long fake nails, dye their hair and wear extensions, mile high high-heels, boob jobs, facelifts, etc. Not a race thing.

Sort of ackward, but why do you think just women of color do this?
OP was in Georgia so probably black people more prevalent and it just stood out to him/her. Though I agree, it isn't (nor should it be) a race thing.

I worked a women-only handgun basic handling class recently. One lady had furry-caterpillar lashes so massive they interfered with her safety goggles. She had a heck of a time and a very difficult time siting.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:22 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Anything 'over the top' is often not that attractive. I also never 'got' the super long fingernails....on anyone! no matter their race or ethnicity. I prefer a natural look or as natural as you can be and still feel attractive to yourself. I also never got 'other people's hair,' but if you are not able to grow your hair long, and have wanted to know what it's like to have long hair, I guess extensions would give you that experience.
I have straight as a board hair and used to pay good money to have my hair permed into curliness. I grew out of that (I'm caucasian). Now, it is what it is.
To each their own.

Out

Old 10-26-2020, 06:49 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m not judging, I’m just wondering. I know ALL women wear fake hair, gel nails and lashes sometimes. Its the over-the-top way of doing it that I don’t get. It seems like self imposed torture. Especially, saddling a young child with 5# of fake hair.

I was actually sitting with a Black woman at the reception table at the time I was observing, and she’s the one who brought up the subject first. She had a wig on, but it looked natural. She keeps her real hair short. This is not the type of thing I’m talking about.
Watch that word ALL...not ALL women do this.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:56 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I've seen white women wear fake hair and eyelashes, and nails also, why just target Black women. And I know lots of Black women, who are all natural. You can't judge all Black women the same, because a lot of Black women have gone back to all natural hair and no makeup, like Alicia Keys.

Who is so adorable, since she's gone natural. She's so darn cute since she's gone natural.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This thread is familiar - there was one just like it a couple years ago, possibly the same poster as I remember reading about "the little girl with the heavy fake braids." Whatever. To me, people wear this stuff because it makes them feel good, does it really matter? It certainly isn't hurting anyone.

I am a senior lady who takes belly dance, and we ALL wear "fake stuff" from time to time, in our case mostly for costume wear. Personally, I rarely do, because I am lazy that way, and lead an active lifestyle. But you know what, I sort of admire those people who do it on the regular. At least they are trying to look better and attempt to dress themselves up instead of just being a slob.

Yes, I was thinking it sounded familiar too.

I remember when my mom would curl my hair so tight it hurt, for church the following day.

To me, I think we all have our ways of self expression. Somethings, we just try out and play with, and other things, we adopt into our routine. And I think the younger one is, the more one is willing to experiment with their looks. Sometimes we hit it out of the park, other times, well...we make mistakes. LOL

When I was young, like early 20's, I thought it'd be great to get all dressed up to go shopping in the mall. Rest assured, I looked GREAT, except for the miserable look on my face because I wore heels to walk around in the mall. (But my legs and butt looked amazing.)

Old 10-26-2020, 09:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Yeah, I don't get the really long fake nails... They would drive me crazy! I don't know how you do anything with them...not to mention how much money you have to spend every month on them.

I don't dislike the look of fake lashes as long as they're not over the top... They're very annoying to put on though, so I don't know how women do it all the time.
Agree, what really makes me cringe are the largeish nail gems. There's a TLC reality show called Unpolished where they do bizarre stuff to nails such as scissors with a spike ball, a boom box that actually works, plus a disco ball for the customers other hand.

There's also a you tube video of the boom box and disco ball. She's also done some crazy 80's nails that remind me of the B52's for some reason. They're a bunch of shapes like triangles, rectangles, squiggly lines that has a shape popping up. I can't imagine doing anything, even getting hair out of my face with those nails. Salon Martone has a Facebook page. Lexi Martone, who does the nail art, has a public Facebook page for anyone that wants to check out her nail art.

*I tried to code it so that the you tube video wouldn't show, but it keeps changing my code.

Last edited by Roselvr; 10-26-2020 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Anything 'over the top' is often not that attractive. I also never 'got' the super long fingernails....on anyone! no matter their race or ethnicity. I prefer a natural look or as natural as you can be and still feel attractive to yourself. I also never got 'other people's hair,' but if you are not able to grow your hair long, and have wanted to know what it's like to have long hair, I guess extensions would give you that experience.
I have straight as a board hair and used to pay good money to have my hair permed into curliness. I grew out of that (I'm caucasian). Now, it is what it is.
To each their own.

Out
Of course you're caucasian! Black women get perms to straighten their hair. If you say you're going to get a perm, many ladies will ask you why since your hair is already straight.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:36 AM

2,178 posts, read 2,314,948 times
Curly perms add curl, wave, body, and volume to straight hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty